Combat Report - 01 March 1943

Discussion in 'I/JG54 Grunherz' started by -haupt, Jun 18, 2003.

1. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

Mission: Freie Jagd
    Pilots: herz, morfin, riddle, celts, medic and horst
    Plane: Fw190A4
    Flight time: take off F18-11:41hs / landing F18-16:07hs
    Claims: 8 kills (herz (3) - Yak9, Yak9 and P47C, morfin (3)- Lagg3, Yak9 and Spitfire Mk9, celts (2)- Spitfire Mk9 and P38, medic (1)- Spitfire Mk9, riddle (0)- , horst - (0)).

Losses:0

Comments:
    It was a beautiful morning when the phone.... :)
    Well, we had 6 pilots ready to fly so we had 3 rotten wich we setup this way:
    Rotte 1: herz/morfin (haupt/buenau)
    Rotte 2: riddle/celts (nicaee/glas)
    Rotte 3: medic/horst (stec/spaceb)
    When we were about to take off, medic had some technical problem and his roll was delayed but we took off anyway since he said he was able to join us yet otw to the target.
    We took off from F18 and headed west while climbing to 5km then turning south towards the target F27. We arrived over the target at around 6.5km alt and few minutes later medic was able to form up. After we were all together we started to work out some action, there was a hot fight going on uder us over F27 with lots of cons and friendly aircrafts from other units. First of all we decided the attacking order and the heading for evasive move wich was east towards the nearby friendly fielf F30.
    As soon as we noticed a con under us i called 'in' and dived followed by my number 2 morfin, we started our first dive over 2 yaks that were chasing a 109. The first Yak noticed us and broke away but i was able to hit the second one, shooting it down. As we started zooming up the rotte 2 was cleared to engage under the coverage of rotte 3. Riddle and Celts noticed cons and started their attacks. At this time morfin and me were already around 5km alt to provide high cover to the rest of the group. By this time things started to get really, i said REALLY hot. Rotte 2 informed hi cons coming from south after they attacked, rotte 3 went to help but everything was too fast that horst lost sight of his rottenfuhrer medic. Now it was morfin, me and horst at around 4km alt looking down to a bunch of dots, smoke, tracers and listening on radio our guys screaming for cover, other saying that was fucked up then while listening to them we went lower and suddenly i spotted medic over F27 at around 2.5km alt running for i dont know how many cons! So i dove followed from close by morfin and horst, i was able to clear medic's 6 and when zooming up i looked back and morfin was in a bad shape with cons on his 6, at this time i screamed on radio to everyone to disengage and head east towards F30. At this time a very exciting fight started with everyone working out to clean friend's 6, i was amazed how our team work went so good that we were still able to get kills on the process. Bandits started to go down in flames, everyone screaming, the radio was a total mess but kinda organized (!) At least rotte 1 and 3 kept together but rotte 2 got lost from the rest of the group, they parently had to run to another way getting separated on the heat of the combat.
    The fight was so intense that it was extended from hi alt F27 to low alt near F30. We came from 6km alt to deck fighting, getting kills and no losses! Finaly when we managed to get clear of cons just west of F30 i told everyone to regroup about 10 miles N of F30. As rotte 1 and 3 was regrouping and climbing, rotte 2 informed that they managed to get out of the hell at F27 and were coming over F30 to regroup but noticed a con following them and requested for assistance. Our 4 190s attacked the poor single con and morfin managed to shoot it down in a very close shooting.
    Finaly after that we had time to take a deep breath, everyone told their status so we could decide if we would go look for some more trouble or rtb. The rotte 2 informed bad damage on their aircrafts, riddle and celts really had a hard time overthere and we were all really stressed because it was too intense so we decided to rtb F18 where everyone landed safe except Celts that had this plane badly damaged losing one aileron and landing gear in combat and broke the other landing gear while landing.

The mission outcome is great! We got a total of 8 enemy aircrafts destroyed and had just one of ours written off due to heavy damage. All pilots ok.

Well what can i say... that was one of the best sorties if not the most exciting and intense sortie i ever had! Our team work was great most part of the time and i feel that i really need to say a big congratulations to my rottenflieger morfin because he simply did an awesome job. Everytime i looked around morfin was there working hard to save my butt. Thanks alot man that was great!

I cant wait to read your comments and impressions relative to about this sortie guys! Mainly your rotte work because it was so hot that i had no time to pay atention to anything else.
    Horrido jagdflieger! :D

ps: i just received the whole track recorded by morfin. I will edit it to get only the action and cut out all the boring navigation so it will be a very enjoyable track. Its worth to watch as hell! I post here the link to download after i get it hosted.

2. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

completing rotte 2's part of the story.
    rotte 2: riddle, -celts (me and glas)

as soon as we had clearence for our engagements (rotte 1 had completed its attack), we finally dived for our share, but from a nice BnZ'able situation, f27 had transformed into an allied bee nest. we hadnt even chosen a target yet when cons were starting to gather on us. i warned it in the radio, and looked backwards to see -medic quickly diving to assist us, getting my six clear.
    all was under control, thanks to our dive speed, but glas had thought a yak was after me, until he saw the con on his six at d4, forcing him into a runaway southwards from f27. my wingman, my responsability. i noticed glas i was otw, and told him to keep up the running to S. he had a yak at ~d10, with a spitfire further behind, which i ignored as i ran for the yakovlev. the russian fighter turned away when noticing my presence, but the spit decided to go for me instead.
    with my superior speed, i began a long right turn to take him from behind, as i ordered glas to head for a safer location eastwards. i was hoping the spit was after glas, so i could scare him and my rotte could go for the regrouping area (f30). but he was after me, and after an avoided HO, he kept up the chase, as i ran calmly to the E.
    meanwhile, glas had climbed, and was able to engage the spit. after a couple of pair tactics on it, he was following me as he lost oil. i pulled into a hammerhead. he managed to give me a hole, but just before i dived back on him, he lost his engine. he smartly kept up the dive and pulled up only very close to the deck, forcing me to disengage much before. shortly after, when glas was diving on him again, he ditched/crashed and gave glas his deserved score.
    as we recovered, we headed N to regroup with the team, when another con engaged us with superior energy. knowing our team wasnt far away, i asked for assistance. before the con could hit glas, 4 mean-looking, awsome-shooting 190s scorched the skies, bringing the poor mortal down in flames.
    ok, i lied.. he didnt go down in flames, he just went BOOM. :D -medic's great shooting ended the battle for us this time. and the rest you know. :)

i would like to comment that glas learned alot during this time i havent been flying, and knew how to manage his E in the 190. wtg mate! :)

3. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

great mission! WTG
    waiting for that track to analyze :)

haupt, you could continue with the "beautiful morning" part...especially with comrade Natasha (or Helga in that case) :D

4. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

Just a little correction!
    It wasnt medic who shot the last con down, it was morfin. ;)

I just edited the track to make it start when our engagements beggin and ends when its given the order to rtb.
    Just the boring navigation to the target and back home cant be seen unless you ask for the original track wich morfin also have since it was recorded by him.

It was a beautiful morning when the phone rings: brrrreeennng! brrreeeeeng!
    HJM: hallo?
    Police Officer: is this lesio?
    HJM: yes! In what can i help?
    Police Officer: i have a girl here, her name is Helga. She acuses you of sexual abuse and shes just 15 years old you pedo!!!

(this is specialy to hjm coz only he will understand) :D

Last edited: Jun 19, 2003
  5. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

well to tell u the truth, it is not funny anymore...what i said earlier was a joke (and in the private), and now, u're writing some shit all over the forums w/o any legitimate reasons, trying to ruin somebody's "good name"(?)...it could be taken as a joke first time, but not after the third or fourth...think about it

6. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

:UU:

7. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Away from Lesio's sex life and back to the topic....:D

As nic pointed out, on our dive to F27 we spotted many cons incoming from S. As nic passed left to right behind me, I seen a yak about D8 nic's 6, shaping for an attack on him. I turned my plane to the right to come in on the con's 6, but noticed him changing course on to my 6.

I pointed this out on ch110 and proceeded to dive S f27, with riddle and medic in hot pursuit of the cons. The yak pulled away leaving me clear, so I climbed to 3k alt and stayed SE of field. Nic passed under about 1 minute later, with 2 cons on his 6 (spit and P38). I dived on both their sixes, but the spit seen me and pulled out. I continued my pursuit of the P38 and in a single 1 second burst, hit him with 10 of my 20mm shells. Pilot died instantly in explosion.

I began my climb again and noticed the spit remaining on riddle's 6, although I knew he was extending and not in any great trouble so I followed orders to continue climbing East. I began making my way to F30 but riddle noticed me on his 3 o'clock and dived under me, enticing the spit to chase. I dived behind the spit but he was wise to this and immediately pulled out of his pursuit. He went for a HO which I evaded, then I climbed again. Again he went after nic, but realising he couldnt catch him and that I was gaining, he turned his plane directly towards me (we were about d20). I continued my line until we were d10-d8 and fired a short, half-second burst, 2 of my 20mms striking the con. On going in to my climbing turn, I noticed a stream of grey smoke coming from the spit.

The spit then engaged nic again, who evaded the damaged con. Seconds later, black smoke streamed from the con indicating his engine had died, so nic dived on him again but, as he said, the con was wise to this and went to sea level. I dived after him also but realised he had gone way too low to follow and pulled up after nic. Whether my actions forced an error or if he simply misjudged his ditch, but I heard the splash and was notified over radio the con had been killed.

We then proceeded to climb towards F30, where another con came on our 6 but as described in great detail above, he never lasted long :)

WTG all, an excellent sortie and very enjoyable, if a little scary at times. Looking forward to the next one!

-glas- (AFVS)

-celts (I/JG54)

8. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Yup, over f27 it was a classic :mafia:
    When I arrived and Horst joined me we received order to cover rotte 2 attack. They engaged with success but at the moment they were zooming out of furball more high cons appeared in the area and some of them dove on climbing 190's of rotte 2. I dove to engage 2 of them (yak9 and spit9) and killed the spit pilot with high deflection shot then yak broke away. Rotte 2 had a room to disengage but I found myself in a deep FUBAR situation afterwards with spit 300 meteres behind my tail and some other red planes behind and above him. Fortunately I was able to live long enough for our guys to clear my tail. Then the running battle to f30 ensued where we had some more thrilling moments bbut also more spectacular victories :). Unfortunately I failed to increase my tally by shooting a Cobra from Herz's tail but at least I forced it to break (it was later killed by one of our guys - morfin? but I don't see it in report!). Great mission, one of the best I flew in 1 life sq system :)

9. spaceb

spaceb Well-Known Member

I lost vis of stec (as you will see in the track) over f27 because he dived directly into the cons. Later on he was crying for help and so I dived to give him a hand.

I got few holes but my plane was fine :D

10. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

Guys, here is the link to download the track by morfin. Enjoy! ;)

Its around 20 minutes of intense combat since its edited to start when the engagement beggins and ends when we head home.

I noticed that the P47 i shot badly wich was in morfin's 6 new F27, went down minutes later after we arrived near F30 when i received the kill's confirmation by the radio.

After watching the track twice i noticed some points wich we must pay atention for the next sorties like:

When rotte 2 attacked it went directly under a cloud of cons wich we notice on the track because the icons distance is increased but looks different from the MA where we had no identification in such far position. Next time lets pay atention and when setting up an attack, never do when going in direction of unidentified dots.

Some ppl went for HO wich is forbidden, right morfin!!?? :D

After watching the track i felt like posting again some points that always need atention and its never too much to keep in mind:

The main wingman's job is to protec its own wingman first. Never leave ur rotte partner to help other unless the rottenfuhrer tells you to.

Keep your wingman insight at ALL costs, try to keep a max of D15 from eachother.

The leader of the rotte is who attack the enemy, its rottenflieger have to cover the leader if hes attacked and should not attack cons that are not a risk to its wingman because doing that it may turn into a mess and become a risk to the entire flight.

Of course these rules have some exceptions but if at first moment we really try to work the right way, it will bring more success and satisfaction to all of us like on this sortie of the track where everone went home alive after very exciting 20 minutes of action. The kill isnt the most important thing in 1 life squadron but to survive as much as we can.
    :cheers:

11. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Eeeeek! :dark:

The link doesnt work :/

Can you send it to my email pls mate? I'll PM my address to you.

-glas-

12. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

done :)