[Deleted]

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by hezey, Apr 15, 2011.

1. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Suse 9 is now version 11 it is six years. Six years ago. Suse Linux is awfulI bought 9 I think too [yeah, nice big manual]. It was greeeeeeen or was that orange...
    Yast it had made the thing so frustrating
    and the dependancy tracking?
    Shit, the package management in Suse was not good.
    But that is, what, dark ages, suse is now
    This is not the 90s anymore.
    Suse is still nfg.
    Open suse too.
    GO LINUX MINT.
    Form a better impression, don't hobble yourself.
    I am not expert user, but I am above the bell curve, man Way above as far as MS OS goes and just about normal when it comes to Linux know-how..

Linux is advancing more rapidly than MS, by leaps and bounds. The only thing that holds Linuxers [OSS in general] back, that prevents the Linux OS [and OSS in general] from dominating the Computing world is the fact of Industrial Combinations.

Also known as Combines.

Or Trusts.

Do you remember ITT?
    Hmmm?

ITT is gone now*

[edit] it is not a telecoms monopoly anymore. THAT is what I meant. It was ma bell and it was fixing prices and slowing down the development of technology and further process in many places. Monopolies do that. Commies were still drinking dirty water and wiping their asses with rocks until they freed themselves from the yoke of rule by the subhuman workers committees eh? [joking, I am joking, okay?]

Think about that.
    I look forward to the day US government, who claims to be in favour of competitive business, shuts down the Microsoft Trust.
    Oh, and they will.
    Yanks don't like monopolies, or at least they claim to not like em.

EU is, as we speak, struggling to shed the MS hegemony.
    So am I.
    I am nobody.
    Europe sure as fuck ain't nobody.
    Oh, and China.
    China has OFFICIALLY GONE LINUX.
    Keep telling me that nobody uses it, or that nobody knows about it, or that MS is better. Define better.
    China has define better.
    EU is working on that, but they will get around to it.

MS is no better than any other company
    It's parts can be bought and sold.

Kinda like Mercedes, eh?

Last edited: May 17, 2011
  2. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I had to find a driver that was not available for my MS OS.
    I never did find that driver.
    See, the driver needed was proprietary software. The software was bundled up and given to whoever bought the hardware manufacturer and I cannot get the driver.
    I will never get the driver.
    It is gone now, like it never existed, it is as if dead.
    This PC is only a year old. ALl the parts in it are, perhaps, two or three year old things like sound cards, video, etc. HDDs, CDs, you know.
    I had to buy a new hardware because the company that made the hardware the PC came with was no longer supported. The company had been sold, it had gone into receivership [went broke].
    I cannot find windows driver for that hardware, none, not one, not anywhere.
    I had to go to a shop and buy the part that DID have drivers for the windows I have in this.
    But, when that company is bought and sold, then all of it's proprietary software will go into limbo, just like that last drivers.
    There is NO windows software repository.
    There is a Linux one.
    Every single piece of open source software ever written is available to be used, to change, to redistribute, to, indeed, sell and re-sell.
    That means the floppy drive in my mom's old 498 will run because that floppy drive has drivers, those drivers can be gotten and NOBODY can take them away from me.

In the Linux world, the user calls ALL the shots.
    ALL of them.
    There is no hidden agenda.
    FOSS is OPEN.
    It is FREE
    It won't disappear because of a sale.

See what I am saying?
    I can find drivers for everything FOSS devs ever made drivers for. They never go away. They are in the public records and the public domain.

I am soon broke, as all the mney I got after I got very sick is soon gone.
    So, it won't be long, I will be back, as I was, buying used PCs. I will have to get those things running, as I used to.
    I will be happy to do that.
    I am not a games playing child and I can live without PC Games.
    The only piece of games software I use are WB and X-Plane.
    X-Palne works out of the box on a Linux machine.
    WB just barely runs and soon it will be gone The Way Of The Dodo.

I will not be unhappy being deprived of use of modern Windows PCs.
    I am gonna do just fine.
    I am glad I took these months since I awoke, learned to read again, learend how to remember things. Learned how to learn. I am glad I got back to where I was as far as Linux goes.
    I never have caught up to where I was with Windows. I used to wade into windows and bash away and I ran it.
    Now, I don't have the time to put up with the bullshit those guys sell.
    The fud, the incompatibility, the bugs, the vulnerability, the Single User OS that Windows continues to be.
    Why the fuck does a windows users keep seeing popups demanding Admin Privileges? Why on earth does a software installed into an OS need system access?
    WTF?
    Windows gets sick because of the constant demand for the User to up to root.
    It is that flaw, THE USER, that allows MS OS to be dangerous and unstable crapware.

Paraphrased:
    I, one time only [this was fun] ,one time, a MS Windows user told me he hadn't rebooted his machine in [I don't remember, but it was a long time]...
    I called bullshit. I really did.
    We argued, we were drunk.
    He kept on insisting.
    I told him I would shut up if he let me look in his PC? He said, WHY?
    I said, I don't belive you. I don't think your WIndows PC has been on longer than a day.
    I bet you rebooted when you got up this morning.
    He wouldn't let me.
    He said his PC was private. He is right. I just walked on by and we continued drinking.
    Later on, while everyone was pissed drunk, the little guy [11 years old?] came out to say hi to all his dad's friends.
    He took me aside and he said
    "My dad installs windows about every other week. He rebooted it just before guests came, Brad."
    I said, "Why you telling me that? You should back up your dad..."
    He said, "My dad didn't back up anything and all my pictures and a lot of my summer vacation homework disappeared and I had to start all over. I hate my dad!"
    Oh, poor kid.
    I changed the subject.
    It is two years since and that kid glares at his dad whenever his dad starts talking through his ass.
    I have seen it. My son gives a look that could kill when I am bullshitting people too.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2011
  3. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Hey Red Ant, instead , try this:
    Linux Mint
    it's pedigree is
    Debian 6.0
    Linux 2.6.x
    Ubuntu 9
    Mint developers
    sold the same way Ubuntu is, either paid support or in the forums. The mint user forums are great place.
    My mom never leaves the firefox. Wants to see a firefox icon. She sees it in her Linux session too in the little linux I gave her on a cd [it boots into ram and hdd is read only]. she has never used the feature filled gui desktop. Never. Ever. She won't. She hates feature filled gui desktop, whether macinfuck or Ibmus or whatever the fuck she calls em.
    Yet, funny, she doesn't seem to notice the difference. She boots to the cd, goes to the start button [called root menu in Linux], sees the firefox icon and the word Firrefox and clicks it.
    firefox is firefox is firefox
    I gave her that cd so she could 'secure browse.' She does. She doesn't even use the rest of the OS. She just clicks the firefox icon I put there.
    It is called Linux Mint 10. My mom is running it for her secure browsing, oh, I already said that.
    Try it.
    It is about the best GUI Linux there is and the best family that bred it, see above.

4. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

China go to Linux? Wow! :) wtg finalland! :) free OS for planet 'Gathering of simple apes 2.0'

And Hez, still, what means 'FUD' ?

PS. You guys are having a great conversation here! :) ,I haven't had any problems with windows what-so-ever exept it that is sucks, it's based on a thing what was stolen in a 1st place and after that developed and made without respect of it's users and their rights and so forth that kind of stupid things done leads unavoidable to supercomplex unsolvable problems, which is good.

5. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

wiki
    wiki

6. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

yo, hi ,thnx man

7. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Windows users who use stolen windows [you know who you are] don't deserve to talk about how great it is. It is users of cracked copies, who use unsuported, unregistered, unacknowledged, unanounced, unclaimed and zombyized windows PCs who are spreading trouble from one Windows Pwned PC to the next.

Zombie Windows Clients. Funny, the Windows Client has always been trouble.
    It still is.
    Ever seen a zombie?
    Notice zombies, at least in the movies, keep falling apart and have to be propped up and then completely collapse and then another zombie is unearthed to continue the film plot?

8. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

9. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I've had WinXP on my machine here for probably 11+ years. Never had it crash where re-formatting was required. I've seen more problems with Win7 running unstable and slow at my work place. WinXP was and is the best and most stable OS. And it's also a copy I think was copied from somewhere. I haven't seen the CD and lost the key code many many years ago so, yeah, very stable OS. I like it because it's user friendly and does what it's supposed to. No programming non-sense needed.

My opinion....This linux stuff I think is over rated, unstable, and not user friendly. I'm sure it's fun to run like you're in dos mode so "fast" on old machines but....it just requires too much specialized knowledge in software and extra tweaking for the rest of us who have better things to do. It's like the people that still think antiquated scsi hard drives are the best and fastest, and those stuck with macs/apples. Too bad..... Stuck in their own little proprietary world why the rest of us in the world passes them by. In any event, if Linux was the dog, software companies would be creating their software to work with it, and processor companies tailoring to their coding. But, they don't.

10. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

19 of the top 20 supercomputers in the world are running some form of Linux.

My PC is no supercomputer.
    BUT, I have two cores, four processors, x 2.5gHz, 8 Gigs ram [was much more, but I went broke and had to sell some]. I have a huge monitor, nice MM etc.
    My PC is a Supercomputer.
    Think not?
    If I could go back in time, say, 11 years, I could compare this box with a PC from Y2K.
    And, from that perspective, indeed, the OLDer PC compared to the newer PC?
    Shit.
    Compare 333 mHz PC with 256K of ram etc with a quad core machine loaded up brand new.
    The loaded up one is a supercomputer.

I have been happy for a long time knowing that my PCs, when they are aging, are still useful and can be maintained. as long as the hardware in them doesn't break. I can't fix that stuff, it is all black-box.
    But I can always find a way, IF I have the source code to my OS. NOBODY drops support on me or my hardware.
    That used to be a big problem, but isn't anymore, not since I grew up and started using *nix and FOSS.

LINUX MINT 10
    Is FOSS
    Is Linux kernel.
    Is Ubuntu Based.
    Is Debian derived.
    Is GNU.

Is free.
    Is mine.
    I can do ANYTHING I want with it.
    The only thing I cannot do, legally, is to restrict others from doing what I am doing with my PCs and MY software.

HEY:
    Anyone want a copy of MY OPERATING SYSTEM?

Price:

No, my PC did not come with windows pre-installed.
    They guy in the store told me that the store IS NOT ALLOWED TO SELL THE PC I WANTED WITHOUT WINDOWS IN IT ALREADY.
    I knew he was full of shit, that it isn't true. I knew that all I have to do is write and ask MS for my money back, that they would return my money that I DID SPEND.
    If the tech guys at the retailer do not tell the truth, or, for that matter, KNOW ANYTHING FROM OUTSIDE-THE-BOX, they ain't demonstrating it.

MSWindows has turned the world of computer users into a large crowd of marks. Know what a 'mark' is?

Sorry.

I have Linux and OSS and I love it.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2011
  11. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I have a Slackware 13.27
    [TO BE CONTINUED. THIS IS COOL]
    As you know, Slackware is modular.
    WTF is meaning that?
    It means, that if a software is installed and working in the system, it can be made into a module.
    A module is a complete directory tree tree of a software, with ALL dependencies already in there and ready to be injected into that system again, later.
    What that means is I can go find, say, a editor, make it into a module and then save the module.
    Then I un-uinstall the editor.
    So, there is no more editor in the / fs of the dir structure, and the dependencies that app needed were saved into the file structure inside the module but outside the / fs of the booted system.

Get that?
    So, I have a DVD with only enough to make the hardware it boots to 'go.'
    And then after that, every other piece of software in it is injected as modules.
    Those modules can be injected at various times.
    those times are either right [unnoticed, silent] at boot ore later, or if at all.
    I may not need to run the editor, so I won't, so it is not in memory or cluttering up the fs.

MORE to right.

Basically, I am making a distro, I cam gonna call it "[deleted] OS"

[cont'd]

I read about micro-kernels. Which Linux is not.
    A micro-kernel is nothing but the enough drivers to start the machine. And the everything else is to be injected into the kernel on demand and then ejected after done.
    MICRO-KERNEL.
    I don't have a kernel as micro as tannenbaum's, but it is still very tyte compared to other linux distros.

I am thinking about calling the thing,
    TrannyLinuxOS
    No, really

Right now I have the whole HDD partition duplicated as a module and am running the whole system's fs, the / and /home [.../Xdata] thing INSIDE RAM. And I can unmount the boot drive too, by cheating and shoving the boot drive into ram and faking it with fakeroot.
    So I have 4GB system memory is used after boot. The other 4 is to play around with.
    The 4 is not a full 4, because the modules are squished fs and each /Xdir is more space in it than it needs, because many dirs need more sometimes, like, uh, /opt and /tmp.
    If I fuck up I can run a dir out of space and then the system stops.

HOLY FUCK IS IT EVER A FAST GUI OS.
    I mean, it is like puppy using the toram cheat, but it is, instead, the copy2ram cheat, which is more modern.

Last edited: May 24, 2011
  12. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

I heard the latest version of linux comes with anhbogcs. If that's true, I might just get a copy myself.

13. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Linux Mint 10 OS.

No, the Linux Kernel has no candy for you. But you could grab a hand full of bricks n mortar and make anything you want.
    If you want a software stack pre-made:

I would suggest Mint 10, a OS on top of the Linux 2.6.3.x Kernel, 2.6.38 is pretty good, especially of you patch the kernel with some shit you can glean from the 'Zen Project.'

Linux Mint 10 OS.

I would say away from Gnome3 desktop is. at this time
    1) made for retards
    2)has taken 'dumbed down' further than any pf the more well used desktop environments. The only thing you can do on the Gnome3 desktop is run apps. Nothing else. It is a square shaped area of the PC monitor that contains things to left click, and that is all.
    Meaning that all the learning [I and some people, not you win zombies or mac idiots] I had to do so I can configure and beautify my desktop, is now old, obsolete and waste of time why the fuck did I bother bullshit.

I have, as a result of Gnome projects efforts to demonstrate their contempt for thinking, intelligent people, demonstrated they think there is an ample market for a smaller, lighter, faster
    bag of rocks.

A bag of rocks is easy to use too.

Never mind, there are many different Mints.
    And none of them has, pre-installed, gnome3.
    But it is coming.
    Soom.

KDE 4.x is very difficult to learn how to configure, there is so much going on, but man, it is powerful and it is very pretty to look at.
    Gnome 2 was not pretty and was somewhat powerful:
    You needed MORE THAN ONE MOUSE BUTTON.
    Just like other people who use a PC.

Linux Mint 10 OS.

Last edited: May 25, 2011
  14. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Rgr. Mint OS 10
    Would you use Linux if it came with anhbogcs? Apparently there is a Beta version available that has anhbogcs with S+P added.

15. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

The one I am using right now is.
    Porteus 1.0b

16. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

I'm not too sure about Porteous 1.0b or anything else with a version number beside it. Whenever I see a word with a 2.1 or other number beside it, it tells me that there is something fucked up with it and it was released onto the market too soon, and that I will have to upgrade to the newest, slightly less fucked up version of the now obsolete free product that has attached itself to my PC like some kind of disease.

Have you ever thought about at least trying anhbogcs with S+P? it beats the shit out of this porteous thing or win7 64 bit. I reckon in a year or two Linux with anhbogcs with free S+P will be a lot more popular than porteous or ubuntu version 2.6.3.x or whatever crap is out there at the moment. anhbogcs with S+P is like homestyle chicken soup sort of, but better.

17. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Oh by the way biles, anhbogcs stands for "A Nice Hot Bowl Of Gorilla Cock Soup" and S+P stands for salt and pepper. :D

18. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Just how is it made? The soup, that is.... :D

19. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Hezey hasn't said a word since I told him what anhbogcs stood for. %)

20. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Please don't tell me there's any curry in the recipe......or gee....:D

On second thought... could be worse... creme de gcs..... :eek:

More fun for the gorilla... maybe...:rolleyes: