Difference between FW190A varients?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by p0wdr-, Jul 17, 2007.

1. p0wdr-

p0wdr- Well-Known Member

Hi, just wondering what the differences are between the A model FW190s. I know that the earlier models are more maneuverable, but what about speed and climb? TAS graph shows FW190A8 slower than A4 at all altitudes except on the deck where it is marginally faster. However I've had some tough times chasing after A8s in flat chase in P51s (both B and D model) which should be significantly faster. Some help please? Also are 109D9s more or less maneuverable than the A models?

1 person likes this.
  2. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I can't tell you anything about the A variants (I'd like to see the differences explained as well), but the D model, although much faster and with a better rate of climb, apparently turns a like a bus in this game. IMO it should be at least as maneuverable as the other 190s, if not better.

3. p0wdr-

p0wdr- Well-Known Member

Yes, I've also heard that the Dora turns better than the Anton because they threw a punch of excess weight off the airframe. Or maybe it has to do with the lengthening, who knows!

4. _strafe_

_strafe_ Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  5. p0wdr-

p0wdr- Well-Known Member

FHL of course. I already have modest understanding of RL differences.

6. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

Well then you'll have to explain each Maps plane set because from my past experiences each is slightly different so as too make it harder to truely learn the strengths and weaknesses. You can get a rough idea but a slight change in any characteristic can throw a wrench in a fine oiled machine let alone FH. but yet we stay, know what I mean, nudge nudge ;) ;) . <S>

bullet

7. fatale

fatale Well-Known Member

8. -redw-

-redw- Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jul 18, 2007
  9. p0wdr-

p0wdr- Well-Known Member

While that's a very comprehensive document, it doesn't help me much with the FH interpretation of the FW190. For example the A8 here seems very fast. Oh, and I am illiterate when it comes to Czech. ;)

Link gives a "Could not find page" result. Have you been paying your bills? :p

EDIT: Hm, it works now... strange.

10. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

Ok, you need to now that a8 will win in turn fight with p51d. It will be quite long fight but 190 turns better. Also, keep in mind there are two loads for a4-a8, I mean "light fighter" setting. For example normal a8 has 4x20mm 2x12mm, while light version has 2x20mm 2x12mm. So light a8 accelerate much faster, turn/climb better. I don't now if load affects max speed - but that flat chase after me (yeah I was a8 light) suggest that it is...

Dora outclimbs p51d...

11. Red Ant

cc ... also outruns it at some altitudes IIRC.

12. p0wdr-

p0wdr- Well-Known Member

From my experience, A8 should be worst performing varient because of all the extra weight that was added on the plane. Doesn't make sense that it should be able to outclass the p51 in so many categories. A4 should be able to hold on in a turnfight, and only if it's using roll advantage instead of just turns, but all Antons experience performance drop at 2000km so P51 should be able to outclass in almost all areas at that altitude and above. I've always had the impression that p51 outmaneuvers Fw190a in everything except roll, and have been able to fight with success under that impression. Has the FH team given A8 performance boosts? Because statistically speaking, it would make more sense to fly A4 or even A6 light fighter instead of A8 light fighter.

13. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

"but all Antons experience performance drop at 2000km.." - I think you fly too high for me, and even higher than redant... :D

Honestly, I don't know about performance drop above 2km, I usually fly 190 at 3-4km.

Keep in mind that a4 has 3 minutes of wep tops, and a8 can fly on wep far longer. a8 is faster than a4. speed is life.
    If p51 is that superior - why noone uses that plane? All I see are spits, LA, yaks or f4u.

14. p0wdr-

p0wdr- Well-Known Member

Really? When P-51 comes out everyone uses it. Multi is always so low for it until Tempest comes out. From speed charts A8 should be slower than A4 at all altitudes except for sea level where it is a bit faster, even in Il2 it is like this. Perhaps the A8 in FH is modelled more like the A9 which was had a performance upgrade. As far as I know A8 is using the same engine as A4, but has extra armour and heavier guns, so should be slower, atleast at 100% military power.

15. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

Welcome to FH wonderland!

16. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

fire them rockets d-18 to d-20 depending on closing speed and aim high

17. FranzAugust

FranzAugust Well-Known Member

:zachot:

18. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

wrong! just plain WRONG!

i know u as a red flier (more as a p38 flier).. you shouldnt be saying 190D whould turn better as other 190s.. you should be saying the other 190s should fly worse as the dora!

haha just fooling around ;D

19. Red Ant

Oh .... yeah, that's what I meant, right! :p

Hehe, nah I fly gold from time to time, and when I do, the 190 is my plane of choice.

20. _strafe_

_strafe_ Well-Known Member

Knock knock knock.....
    It works to IL2 series not here where Fw190 has no advantage in roll rate. Due to charts Fw190 had amazing rollrate, but here even a Typhoon can roll better than 190.
    Reports shows Fw190 could keep controls at any speed - no compress....
    Fw190A3/4 should outclassed SpitV in all except turn....