Ditching

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Cabron, Aug 26, 2009.

1. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

In real life, shooting up an enemy plane and causing him to ditch anywhere other than his own field resulted in a kill being credited to the pilot who shot him.

Even planes that ditched on thier own fields were scrapped about 85% of the time.

Put a couple of bullets into letez and he will always run away and land on water.....100 feet from carrier, many times.

wasteoftime

I see reds ditching at gold fields or vice versa and it is all done to deny kill to the person who earned it with zero attempt to actually live and rtb.

Taxi out to the end of the runway make a turn, and put one wheel just an inch off the end of the runway and then click to leave plane.

It will be called a ditch.

Since the sim is glad to call a proper landing (gear down) with one wheel off the end of a runway a "ditch", why not experiment with making every "ditch" a kill......maybe in the TA arena.

Maybe people would actually try to rtb and land a mission which would go a long way toward steering this sim away from the arcade game it has become.

2. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I support that. Also some planes can ditch in the water, without breaking up, at speeds in excess of 280 mph (109!!), which, needless to say, is unrealistic to the extreme, but I don't suppose that can be changed easily.

3. seung_sahn

seung_sahn Banned

4. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

Your attempt at humor is just as pathetic as your flying in the arena seung.

5. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

I'd really like to see how WB is coded, just out of curiosity

6. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

I think it's time that this person is banned with all his account names.

7. looseleaf

I agree 100%.

If you caused your opponent to ditch, it should be considered a "kill" or a victory.
    Consequently if you were shot down and survived you should be able to rtb if you are close enough to a friendly field or perhaps get a certain POW "time-out" until the pilot escapes to a friendly field.

Maybe using new terms such as victory and defeats instead of kills and lives lost would be more accurate.

In any event, ANY kind of ditching should be credited to the opponent who forced the ditch.

8. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Mb it is time to talk about motives of different players and about gameplay of freehost warbirds.
    Who needs a message "killed by joe" , who needs a credit for certain kill?
    Who needs it when YOU know u killed someone, or to use better words ,
    when you know that u "caused the enemy to disengage"?
    I bet all of u know "when" u made someone to ditch or to run or..
    Do u really really need that badly for everyone to see who killed who?

Because, its ok if u have that desire, that need, but it is ok even if someone doesnt have that same need!
    I mean, this is NOT fighter combat sim!
    It is game about air war, with air to air fights, with air to ground fights, with winning or losing a war!
    Many guys in arena including all great buff pilots, including letez too, do not care if u kill them! They care for winning or losing a war!
    Can u understand that? All of u ?
    Because if u cant, there is no need for others to understand u .
    Seems like u all care more for kills ( fucking kills) , and some ego boost,
    than to have fun, adrenaline fights, or satisfaction after making reset!
    Arena is already full of players who care only for kills kills kills, and that is the reason we have less and less good pilots, less and less good fights!
    Just give me some uber LA7 or some mk 108 buster , and ill show them all !!!
    No, u guys give us a break for a bit.
    For me there is no good flight, if it has not been fun!
    For some there is no good bombing if field is not capped!
    Who cares if u will land with gears up or dwn, if it will cause u not to cap field due to time , which will further cause u not to be able to use buffs because u failed to cap that big field???
    YOU all sound like u would like realistic war game, realistic planes, air combats, but YOU to CHOOSE when to go to fight when not!
    "Excuse me General, I would like not to go now to fight, because there will be 10 enemy planes, and i would like to keep my streak up and running for a little longer"!!!!!!!!!
    So, u choose not to cover buffs , not to defend fields, not to cap fields , u choose to dogfight when u want , and u still want realistic air war game.
    MB its not good word, u all want air combat , err, DUEL combat sim, not air war one. Well, fh is simulation of air war. Not DUEL.
    For some pilots including myself, No one is good player if he doesnt know how to bomb, how to be jabo, how to fight and how to cap.
    Especially is not good player if someone doesnt Bomb when it needs , cap when it needs, and fight when it NEEDs.
    Then ask why is arena full of idiots.

9. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

I don't need everybody to see the kill message.....I just want to know if the guy I shot up and had to abandon made it back to base.

I would be cool if kill messages were just like hit messages and only seen by the two involved.

As far as only caring about kills.....Nope.....my bomber score was 497,000 last TOD or.......double that of the next highest person.....because I try to land my sorties and have glided many times from 26k feet past two enemy fields to make it to my own field after having my engines shot out by enemy.

Landing two sorties that killed the entire fleet and captured CV rather than fly 26 one way suicide missions to the do it are my reward.

I also man my own defensive guns whenever possible and would like to see "otto weenies" get credit for their kills rather than the pilot who did nothing in earning that kill.

They do that in WB3.

Sure.....I will chase anybody into ack but unlike most here, I try to emerge from ack alive more often than not and usually make it back to base for a proper landing.....unless jumped and shot down afterward.....and I only ditch if out of fuel and too far from base.

My problem with ditching is that it rewards guys like Letez who will throw a perfectly good plane into the ground just because he wants to be somewhere else on the map and is too lazy to fly back and make a landing.

Most of what I suggest can be done easily with arena settings and would go a long way toward keeping the blatant exploitation of game holes down.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
  10. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

if you want a record of your exploits, maybe you can write a post on the forum every time you shoot somebody who winds up ditching

you're obviously very skilled at proclaiming your achievements

11. looseleaf

"...Many guys in arena including all great buff pilots, including letez too, do not care if u kill them! They care for winning or losing a war! ..."

Not true Dem. If he didn't care he wouldn't ditch.

Denying the kill to the opponent by ditching.
    That is the problem.

I think score posting should be voluntary or maybe even private. Maybe even exchanged only between opponents.

Score-whores are one of the lowest forms of life here.

12. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

What about self-killers?

13. Tzebra

Tzebra Well-Known Member

The kill was never important for me; back in the day. Being a primary jeep/tank whore, I was more interested in: did I hold them off long enough for the field long re-open, or did I make it to the enemy field of choice, and did I make myself a pain in their ass with my tank while there.

When I did fly it was always with the intent of breaking any synchronicity which may be taking place, or drag jabbos and fighters away long enough for me to get a message out that people need to get in the air and prepare for a raid against (x) field.

Whether or not anyone self-bombed or purposefully ditched to avoid a kill message, (chicken shit as it is,) I honestly didn't care, since it removed them from the overall equation for a period of time; until they could get a new plane and back to their previous position where it all happened the first time around.

If I damaged someone enough where they had no hope of really giving me an honest fight, I would let them go. It wasn't about the kill, just getting them out of the way.

My fighting style is my own, and though I don't promote the removal of the score-board, I equally don't promote keeping it. We can't dictate morality to another player, (especially when some have none to begin with,) but perhaps there is a work-around. Allow an On/Off switch. A person can elect to either not have scores counted, or than can?

Whether this idea would work or not, I have no honest clue.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2009
  14. seung_sahn

seung_sahn Banned

15. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Without scorepage that all will give zero effect. With scorepage the only effect will be about 15% more kills for all pilots. Is it really so important? :dunno:

Gunnery skill affects much more here. ;)

16. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

I understand Tzebra's fighting style is based on arena wide results.

Is he OK with going up against somebody who fights the same way......except........they ditch constantly because they cannot be bothered to take the time to land so they can up a new plane.

Would he be happy dragging a con somewhere just to have that con ditch and re-up where he was dragging the con from?

Ditching to deny kill is one thing but it sucks to fight the same guy 3 times in 3 different planes on your single sortie to attack his field.

Having the arena settings force every ditch not on your own field to be a kill might offer a bit on incentive to keep people from ditching every time they want to be elsewhere on the map rather than just fly thier current sortie there.

Many people use the argument for ditching beause they are out of fuel........after only flying 7 minutes.

Maybe they should take more fuel........I never take off with less than 70% fuel in a fighter and many times up with 100% fuel only to chase some guy who ditches in the ocean because he upped with 40% fuel and wasn't prepared for a long chase.

17. looseleaf

Right down there too.

Scum sucking, immature gelding-pigs, mean grand-daughters of auctioneers.

18. looseleaf

Maybe they should try the ALT-F4 ditch then.

19. seung_sahn

seung_sahn Banned

20. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Very few people will loose time, they could use for more fun or more help to sidemates, just to deny ur kill, they will just use ALT_F4 more often, istead of ditch, and will return twr even faster.
    So u surely will have a bit more kills, but problem with fighting same guy 3 times will change to fighting same guy 4 times :).