Downtime for Strategic Targets - please vote again - new options

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by fuhrer, Sep 3, 2002.

?

Should the downtime of Strategic Targets be raised?

Poll closed Sep 13, 2002.
  1. Yes, raise it up to more than 7200 seconds.

35 vote(s)
    74.5%
  2. Yes, raise it somewhere up to 7200 seconds.

8 vote(s)
    17.0%
  3. No, leave it as it is (2000 seconds).

3 vote(s)
    6.4%
  4. No, reduce it to below 2000 seconds.

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  5. Either one, I'm fine.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Hey exec, how is the bomb dispersion made out? With wind or what? How will you be able set corrections, will there be "a windmeter"?? :) Is there still going to be zoom -option in the bombsight? IMHO is that feature is taken away, all bombings would be carried out as carpet bombings :D .And for final: how about setting strategic targets as "has-to-be-bombed-away" :flyer: ones for winning the war? That would increase their value to attackers and defenders... :duel:

airfax (IFoL)
    karma- (FFC) :turret:

2. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

you mean:
    is it
    or should it be
    ?

if not, why do we make votes then?

IMHO admins` great job in programming is destroyed by their wrong handling of FH community. I wonder why 5-6 otherwise sane men cant see it?
    Maybe they do not care about the results of their job, then we are talking to wind, but it is hard for me to believe this - I would care very much if the work i invested gave fun someone.

BTW im also partly admin, having the bluepen on TA and try to give personal example there. :)

3. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Well I mean both, asking if there is any, and if there is none if there should be any... I mean, all in all they have their own policy and they don't neccesarily need to explain their decisions to the community...

Yes, but you're a scenario admin, you're not involved in the developing or the policy, of course you can administrate the TA, which is good if someone does it (there have been some probs there in the past) :D I mean it would be good to have some people that could advise the FH staff into how they should come out with their decisions, and how they should modify their policy to the public. It would be neat, well I don't really care if they do or don't, doesn't matter to me anyway. Ok I've shown the image of being someone that likes the dictatorship etc, but I prefer democracy, but I just feel the urge to show ppl where they exactly are positioned when it comes to taking decisions for the FH staff (it's nothing personal, if anyone doubted that), well sometimes people just don't formulate their wishes right, or they just go by the wrong channels... also never forget the FH team is mainly Russian speaking, they don't go over the international forum... they have Boroda and Exec to do that for them...

greetze, Zembla

4. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

>Well I mean both, asking if there is any, and if there is none if there should be any... I mean, all in all they have their own policy and they don't neccesarily need to explain their decisions to the community...

you're looking the wrong way :)

sure, FH doesnt necessarily need to explain their policies.
    but its good that the community shows its opinions to FH. or else they would have to make blind developments.
    votes are a way of showing our opinions, right?

5. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Did you read my whole post?
    :D I don't think so :p

greetze, Zembla

6. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

ok, maybe you can see it as a reply to an older quote: :shuffle:
    >Does there need to be a vote for designers to modify the settings?

:kruto:

7. fuhrer

fuhrer Well-Known Member

I decided to bring back this thread as I still see we could better use the strategic targets downtime. Right now it's still a "re-enactment" feature IMHO. Correct me if you think I'm wrong :D

Regards,

8. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

I'm not sure i get the idea here. Last TOD I took He177 numerous times to factories (F8 & F16 especially) & dropped them for more than 8000s with 1800kg bombs. Tonight I hit some with 500kg & they went down 1400s - 4000s (I hit the 4 grouped factories. 4000s is not bad, 1400s is not much. I guess maybe if you need them down longer use a bigger bomb?

9. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Yes Roland, as with every structure in WBFREE: the larger the ordnance, the larger the downtime. See nicae's site for more detailed info!

10. fuhrer

fuhrer Well-Known Member

So we supposely have to fly a dozen Stukas to a target (1800kg) while the allied can fly a couple of B17s? So much for fair gameplay :rolleyes:

A week ago we flew four Ju88s with 4x500kg to the factories near f16. 500kg dropped from 6.5km high in the sky and all we got was lousy 4400 seconds. By the time we managed to fly home to F15 and land, we only had like 2000s until everything was rebuilt. So frustrating :(

We only use it to set mission goals because as far as gameplay goes, I still believe it's useless. 4000 seconds is pretty much 67 minutes, which is the time of one sortie, maybe, *maybe* two sorties. Pointless to bomb strategic targets for strategic reasons.

And speaking of bombers, the Ju87B gunner doesn't fire even if you jump to the gunner position. And the Ju88A4 (and probably JU88A1 too) bottom gunner has a bug that makes him waste ALL his ammo and hit nothing if you don't fire with quick bursts. Easy to fix if you are the one gunning but what about when it's Otto? No wonder we can never shoot down allied aircraft with them. These gunners are cheap and don't work, how can one expect to hit anything. :mad:

If you want to see the bug I'm talking about in the Ju88, just take one either online or offline (doesn't matter), fly low over water (easier to see) like 50m or 100m, jump to bottom gunner position and aim on the water and fire holding the trigger for a while. You'll notice that the bullet water splashes will be *stuck* in the same spot they first hit, even though the plane is still moving! :nono:

I want Ju88 gunners with the precision and firepower of the Pe2s. They are supposely the same gunners aren't they? Why don't we trade them just for a TOD, to see how it goes ;)

11. RolandGarros

1 x He177 can put down 14 factories most for over 5000s, at least 2 of them 8000s or more, Last TOD i did it several times F6--->F8 or F11--->F16. If you need to take Ju88 for econ attack IMO take 2 x 1000kg, or maybe make it part of you raid, have 1 x Ju88 go ahead & kill factories & radar.
    I've never run out of ammo with Ju88a gunners & i always set them to b++=4, b+=4, b-=0 & get a good number of kills. Only in red planes have i ever run out of ammo for otto.

12. fuhrer

fuhrer Well-Known Member

Dude, did you happen to try what I said before replying to my post? I'm pretty sure you haven't. I didn't say it uses all the ammo but I said it CAN spend all the ammo and not hit anything because it's still firing at the same spot (relative to the ground) while the aircraft is still moving. That's ridiculous and definitely a bug.

With your settings the retargeting of the otto make it fire a burst, retarget, fire another burst and therefore you don't see the bug.

Try using that in a Ju87B. Your gunner simply won't fire at all. Me and bunito were flying together the sortie this happened, and brahma, who happened to shoot both of us down even asked why we didn't fire. Well, we tried but we couldn't! :mad: We could sit on the gunner position, aim but pulling the trigger didn't do anything.

And to finish it, He177 is not available until January 1943 so they don't help at all until half way into the TOD. I heard of a carrier being sunk by a 250kg bomb dropped by a A6M in real life. How come we cannot destroy a factory with a 500kg dropped from 6.5km? Imagine all the speed/energy that that bomb is building up until it hits the target! 500kg is a little over half the average weight of a car. Imagine that ammount of explosive falling off the sky. Must be a hell of a factory roof, probably like the roofs of those sub pens in Brest (3m of concrete).

13. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Fuhrer, the Ju87B doesn't HAVE a tailgunner when it's loaded with 1800 kg egg. So I guess that's what happened.... :)

14. RolandGarros

IIRC 1800kg is available on Ju87D only....i eliminate (quite temporarily) 4 factories with 1 x 500kg regularly. You get one for about 3500s & the others about 1500s....can i say something about 3 meter breast?

15. fuhrer

fuhrer Well-Known Member

It was a Ju87B with a 1000kg bomb. In the Ju87D with the 1800kg you can't even jump to the tailgunner position because he is not there. On our case we could jump to gunner position but even though it showed full ammo (100) it wouldn't fire a single bullet.

I really love people who reply without even trying what I'm talking about :rolleyes:

I never said it couldn't be done but what is the point of having it down for 1500s anyway? By the time you land it's up again and lost it's purpose of strategic target.

Sure. It just depends on whose breast you'll talk about :D

16. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

17. RolandGarros

Here is the point: hit factories on the way to your target field. If you need them down long enough to RTB & get another buff, use 1000kg bombs.

18. fuhrer

fuhrer Well-Known Member

You know dude, you must be 13 years old or something. Why do you keep arguing about keeping the downtime the way it is right now? So far you have only pointed ways of doing it (which we all know) and not why do you think it should stay the way it is.

This is a discussion about the downtime itself and not about how to achieve it if you haven't realized yet.

A happy New Year to you, hoping that you will outgrow this behavior in the next year.

19. RolandGarros

I dont concur with you so i must be an ignorant youth, no?
    Present system is too challenging for you so you want it changed?
    Who is childish?
    At least you resort to witless insults like your namesake.
    I like realism in a simulation

20. fuhrer

fuhrer Well-Known Member

Here you come again. Look at the numbers up there? Who wants it changed? The majority of the people. I don't want you to agree with me. I want you to realize this thread is not about how you can bomb strategic targets because that even a monkey can do. It's about the downtime. Do you get it now?

And yes, you are the one being childish because you keep saying you can do it and we all know that. For your information, all of us can do it.

Do you think realism is dropping a bomb in a factory and it's rebuilt in 30 minutes? 30 minutes in WB I think is something like a day and a half. A factory rebuilt in a day and a half? That's so very realistic.

Do you want realism, go fly IL2 Sturmovik or Forgotten Battles. Then drop a 500kg bomb from 6.5km and the see the ammount of blast, shock wave and damage it causes. Then I want you to come back to this thread and say that this crap is realism.

If you want to talk about your *marvelous accomplishments* (which don't impress me or any of my squadmates at all) start your own thread and stop wasting our time reading your pointless posts.