Free = not good

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by fatale, Jan 30, 2008.

1. fatale

fatale Well-Known Member

:D

2. lilya-

lilya- Well-Known Member

3. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

:p Are there a whole lot of languages that are NOT free? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

4. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Plenty high level languages are free. Plenty scripting languages are free. Look for stuff with that GNU licensing thingie. I dunno fuck all about the low level stuff like, uh, debug or whatever or, uh, machine language or uh, the thing I can't remember the name of type thing there.
    I think the guy chatting just plain didn't know what he was talkin about. Neither do I...
    I learned basic and DOS batch and [rudimentary] rexx and some easy easy python thingie, it is called and whatever the fuck that one is that hides in the nix shell, uh, gnsomething. All kludgable, easy. So, really, I only know jack shit about programing.
    But I do know you don't need money to program.

OH, I get it! You put the little :p thingie. You was bein smarty pants.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  5. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Nooooooo, I was asking whether there were any proprietary languages, ... "any that are NOT free?" as in "aren't ALL (most) languages free?"
    I honestly don't know a language that you have to pay for to code in, though I'm sure there are some.

6. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

I think it is the interpreter/compiler you have to pay for most often. The only way to keep people from writing code in a language would be to keep the language 'in shop' and make people sign non-disclosure contracts...
    And even that wouldn't work long term as there would be nothing but a lick and a promise to keep employees from taking away what they know. The interpreter and complier could be not only 'in shop,' but locked up real tight, to keep them from getting outside. I suppose.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2008
  7. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Try South African "click-click" language.

It's free and very valuable if you are going to trade in cow blood and green dung flies.

If that won't work for you, then try Modula2.