FreeHost Culture

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -nicae-, May 5, 2003.

1. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

hi nicaee, kutya, daedal,

nicccccceee :)
    the only mistake i made was to listen to it in daylight...
    i will repeat at a relaxed sundown, put the water-tap on for the river find its way to the ocean and clean my neurons for the next day.

2 questions:
    daedals mix sounds distorted sometimes... do you overdub the mp3's always? when you may think, work has finished, could you work out an mp3 from the wave-original (or the original mp3)? would be very kind...
    and, daedal, can you record a midi of the organ? just for my personal practising in sound-editing (i will not sell it to any label! :) )

i wish, songs like his could be played, when rtb to home-field (on landing, when gear is out) :D

2. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Ledada, could you make a really groovy organ-lead? Something bluesy or so I mean.

3. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

you played it? whistled too?

4. -nicae-

cool :)
    a pitty the mp3 got distorted during conversion :-\ probably because of slow CPU or bad program - which do you use?

after we have a clean version, without the distortion, haupt shall do the sax, and basman the drums! :)

5. -nicae-

Nic's Preview of Swindle EPI - Part of Me:
    7 of 10

Tune: 8
    Skills: 7
    Quality: 6

Tune: Changing to the punk scene, damn! Go away! I hate this song! I can't get it off my mind! It just wooooooooon't let goooo!!! ARGH!! ;-)
    Skills: It's clear you guys can rock on the stage.. No duh you guys are playing in all sorts of places all the time! :)
    Sound Quality: The dark side of the song - The sound hasn't been equalized or balanced or anything, but hey, the demo is coming out in June, right?! :)

Comments: Punk! Yeah! :)
    Btw - the verses you sang have the lyrics switched, comparing with what is on your site. ;-)

6. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Just hurry up, or I'll flood this thread with another tunes, LOL. ;)

7. -nicae-

i think we can handle 2 or 3 parallel projects ;)

8. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Are they really switched nic? damn, i wrote those lyrics too, and I can't even keep em in the same order :D

we wrote that a year or 2 ago, so give us a break ;)

9. budice

budice Well-Known Member

10. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

Hello,

Oh, crap :-( My organ mix sounds "warpy" and there are some unexpected noises only after download. The original on my HD is clean and the only distortion comes from the gently overdriven tube amp.

I quite don't understand the part about mp3 overdubbing. I put Kutya's mp3 into Cubase SX adio/midi sequencer. It automatically transformed it into a .wav file for the purpose of work with it. I recorded my organ part on a separate channel then mixed it altogether into one .mp3. Ledada, could you please explain what you meant by "work out an mp3 from the wave-original"?

Is there any way to avoid those download issues? Kutya's mp3 seems fine after download for instance.

P.S.

Ledada, unfortunately I don't have the midi of this. Paradoxically,
    although my 'natural music environment' are synthesizers, I stay away from midi as far as I can. Those electronically set tempoes, metronomes (!), sys-exs, etc., give me a serious headache. I think I'm not in position to record any learning material midi file.
    However, I've seen a website with some midi organ examples. As soon I remind the address, I'll give you the link.

Last edited: May 11, 2003
  11. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

hi daedal,

i asked because i thought, maybe you had recorded a possible midi-input of your organ. as for midi-format as sound-file i feel like you, it merely does compare to acoustic recordings.
    the sense was that i wanted to use the midi for some emulated synthesizers - my favourites are from native instruments like the wonderful emulated hammond organ, pro-52 or most the fantastic absynth.

to answer kutya also, i can play some instruments, but in fear of the time for practicing again and because of a lack of composition-talent, i'd rather leave my ols piano and keayboards at my parent's home and do some phonetic experiments in digital at time (errhhh... :) ) - have a visit to some friends' site: on electrica the strange sound of "theremin" (which moog sold for a long time and which has been used as an instruments since the late 19th century) is combined with photos of some old electricity plant out of order. they used the "beatnik"-soundengine when it came out in 97 for the project.

and with the, maybe wrong word, "overdubbing":
    i think, every time you decompress mp3-files (which happens, when you put it in an audio-track in cubase for arranging) and compress the composition afterwards as mp3 again, you will loose quality a lot. mp3 is a very lossy algorithm, it profits only by 1st time compress (like jpeg or mpeg in video). but maybe for final result the waves can be used instead :)

i would enjoy it a lot (why is there no dancing smiley?)

12. Kutya

Kutya Banned

I'll be off-topic a bit: have you heard about Cool Edit Pro? I just downloaded not the up-to-date but the previous version, and it looks like a quite good easy-to-use multitrack recorder. I didn't record with it yet though, and I don't think it's comparable with Cubase/Nuendo but soon I'll give it a try.

13. daedal

daedal Well-Known Member

Hi Ledada,

All right, I'll try to make a .wav file instead. But as I improvised a lot in my last organ piece, this will certainly sound slightly different.

I'll be recording tomorrow.

Salute!
    Daedal

14. Kutya

Kutya Banned

These pieces are nice! Sounds like fire meets ice, I mean, the dirty Les Paul gets quite clean and silky with that Twin Reverb, even if it distorded a bit.

15. Kutya

Kutya Banned

16. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

hi kutya and the other artists,

i don't know about cool edit, but maybe someone will try "ableton live". i once used it for synchronizing some visuals to a live-house-set, performed by friends.
    i am not used to multitrack-recording, but the manual mentions the ability of "ableton" to record multiple audio and... use it directly for live-output (including sampling, looping and filtering).
    i am stunned with the many knobs in the programm, but those friends say, it is marvellous (needs of course a low-latency-soundcard for live in/out-purpose)

and a big hand for the rag, kutya :)

17. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

I've used cool edit pro all time i've been doing sht at home.Simple and very good multitrack-recorder imo.If need one pm me. :shuffle:

18. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

When you finish your album, send it to me, I'll listen and make a cover out of a photograph for it.

19. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

poof

*poof*

Last edited: May 15, 2003
  20. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Kutya, where did you download that recorder?

I really want a cheap track recorder so I don't have to pay 600 bucks to record 6 songs at a pro studio :rolleyes: I don't have that kind of money!!! :D