graphics are getting better

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Mcloud, Jun 4, 2013.

1. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  2. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Technologicallyis progressing so quickly. I never thought I would see graphics that were sufficient. They are getting pretty close to that now.

Stinson WW2 era USArmy observation plane with a glass-cockpit and putt-putt motor doing emergency simulated go-around and touch down. Cool side slip on last leg.

I did not download the graphics for that airport. Sure does make the PC work when it is drawing all that stuff. See the shadows moving about relative to the cockpit view? global shadows, oh boy. hardware shaders. YEAH!

Here is a simulated cocksucker.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-...4/--jothyxhtw/w1201-h676-no/L5G_Uprated_1.png
    :nono:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2013
  3. tazman88

tazman88 Well-Known Member

I have never had a computer on or near the cutting edge of graphics and power

4. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Hey man. I feel for you.
    Things will get better, young fellow, if you don't die, choking on chicken bone in yer hobo stew.....
    :fly2:
    The PC I used for the film is a 700 dollar [Canadian] BestBuy deal.
    Not cutting edge, but better than any I have ever owned before, so I am happy. For a year.
    Then I gonna get another one.
    Weeeeeeee.
    When I had my heart attack, a guy in the hospital told me:
    Man, you have a meal ticket for the rest of your life now, lucky guy!
    Fuck him.

5. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Oh, I'm going to, in a few days. :D Of course it'll be obsolete in 3 months %) ...

6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

It is a good feeling to install an OS, go through all the headaches to get the system up and running and then finally install a favourite software and have it work so well it makes you clap your hands and jump in the air!
    Warbirds is not what I mean, if it runs, it runs pretty fast, I am thinking about software, not fossils.

7. Red Ant

Hmm, I don't enjoy the setup process all that much. I'm happiest if stuff works right out of the box without me having to spend several hours fixing stuff. :-\ I do intend to make this one a dual-boot system, though. I haven't touched Linux in years, so I'm not even sure which distro to pick.
    Which one are you using, hezey?

Guess I'm probably going to go with Mint. From reading the comments on this page http://www.lifehacker.com.au/2013/04/ubuntu-versus-mint-which-linux-distro-is-better-for-beginners/ it seems that it comes closest to meeting my works-right-out-of-the-box requirement.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  8. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I gather you want it to Just Work without having to MAKE IT work?
    GNU+Linux called Mint, it is now Mint 15.
    It comes with as many codecs as the developer could, and those that cannot come with the disk, there are provided some script to make it so, those are, I think some ATI video drivers. They are binary blobs and violet the GPL [GNU public license] so need to be user installed, by law.
    I like too, Fedora, which is Novel Linux but Open-sourced. There is more trouble to gather codecs in that OS.
    Ubuntu Just Works and it too, has convenient methods to install those ATI drivers.
    Debian is nice too, fast and stable, but the devs are very strict about the inclusion of closed source software and they do not sympathize at all with people who like some proprietary binaries [I like Flash and ATI/Nvidia graphics, so I am a GNU sinner]

Suffice in this order
    1 Mint 15,
    2 Fedora 18 [if you want to suffer some set-up headaches]
    3 UBuntu 13.10
    4 Debian 7 [if you want to suffer some set-up headaches]
    5! Completely ignore anyone who tells you, "Use Arch!" Those guys are fuckheads and are stuck with their heads up their asses, as it is UNSTABLE, rolling release, which is to say, just because it worked today doesn't mean it will work tomorrow, after you reboot... Arch is great when it works, but is like a moody child. And takes an engineer to fix it if it is broken.
    I recommend you burn ISO to a usb drive, boot it up and use live for a while, even an hour, so you will know if a particular GNU+Linux OS works OOTB.

I would be glad to answer any questions, I am not a hacker, I am a knowing user though.

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  9. Red Ant

Right, Mint it is then.

10. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

You know, it has the GNome shell under a GUI called Cinnamon or a GUI called Mate?
    Those use GNome shell's bones, but are much more traditional, with menus and that bar on the botton, I forget what it is called. But yeah, Mint makes those two versions now because the devs persieve the Mint user base hates the GNome shell in front.
    I don't mind GNome Shell , nor Cinnamon nor Mate. But if I were forced to pick on, I guess I would pick Cinnamon.
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    A side note:
    [bottom note?]
    On the google plus I readed a few threads stating Linux Mint's Creator is ANTI-SEMITIC!!!!! Don't use it!
    To which I respond [no, I don't respond, I just ignore and block], take a long suck on my ass, it is like not driving on the autobaun because of Hitler.
    Or not enjoying the GREAT ROCK BAND Queen because their singer was a fag....