Gunnery dispersion

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Jochen, May 8, 2002.

1. Jochen

Jochen Well-Known Member

Hi,

Overall, so far, so good, especially with the gun camera.

But your idea and implementation of this new "gunnery dispersion" is the worst idea anybody has had since Xerxes decided to mount a second day of frontal assaults against the Spartans at Thermoplyae.

Get out of here; this is insane.

Jochen

2. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Jochen,

>But your idea and implementation of this new "gunnery dispersion" is the worst idea anybody has had since Xerxes decided to mount a second day of frontal assaults against the Spartans at Thermoplyae.

"So we'll just fight in the dark" ;-)

To give you an idea of realistic gun dispersion: The 20 mm MG151/20 in the Junkers Ju 87D-5 was expected to have a dispersion radius of 0.25% of the shooting range. (The guns were wing-mounted, of course.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

3. Jochen

Jochen Well-Known Member

Fight in the dark, yep. Guess we'll have to. ;-)

0.25%? So, at a range of 100 meters, we would expect dispersion to be 1/4 meter? And that's for wing mounted guns?

Judging by wingspans, even at 300 meters, dispersion for the centerline-mounted weapons in the Bf-109 is, oh, about 10 meters maybe. I'd have to run some tests, or you would have to ;-) lol, but it's a LOT further off than it should be.

Regards,
    Jochen

4. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

The dispersion is excellent

greetz, Zembla

5. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

Well, yes, the dispersion is much more than should actually be there, but the thing is, with Warbirds' simplified gunnery hit detection, both the planes and the rounds themselves have larger hit areas than they should, making it easier to hit with than it should be. The exaggerated dispersion is probably trying to compensate for that.

I'm not really sure I like it. I like the idea of making gunnery harder, but due to the (rather crappy) net code of WB, flying consistently under D2 is quite a pain in the butt with all the microwarping, and yet I'm finding even at D2, it's pretty hard to do serious damage now without a lot of ammo.

Last edited: May 9, 2002
  6. Jochen

Jochen Well-Known Member

Yes, it is ludicrous. I understand what you mean about the hit area of the shells (hmm that 37mm on the 110G seems to have a real small hit area by comparison,) but we have to have some idea of where the shot is going to go. Even at short ranges, as you said, accuracy is way down. It's really going to stink attacking bombers, and attacking anything with a more anemic armament...such as on the 109F or 109E.

Jochen

7. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

After more play, I think I like it. Gunnery is less laser guided now, which makes firing at longer ranges more of a gamble (as it should be) and makes bomber fighting much more interesting.

It's not realistic, but I think it offsets the hit bubbles fairly well and thus makes for overall more realistic (and more fun) gunnery.

8. Jochen

Jochen Well-Known Member

Yeah, but it comes at the expense of short range gunnery, which is neither a good nor accurate trade.

Jochen

9. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

Actually I haven't had any problems with short range gunnery today, quite the opposite. I was probably just having a bad day yesterday ;)

10. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Hi,

I liked it.
    much more harder to hit at d5 and above, will make all snipers' life a pain. :)

Actually, on the beginning I felt quit uncomfortable with it, but after some flying and firing at d3 max (d2 average), I feel its really good for what it proposes to do.

I watched some WWII guncamera footage... You see the tracers going like crazy things... I don't remember if its specific tracer-ammo only, but the point is: the bandit was close, a lot of tracers around him, but only few hits seen. I think this new gunnery is great, remembering me of these footages. :)

11. Herz

Herz Well-Known Member

Exatly Rafael!

12. fuhrer

fuhrer Well-Known Member

I flew a Bf109G10 for a couple of times tonight and as far as I can see, gunnery dispersion makes me feel like I have a loose cannon. Guess I'll just have to kick that stupid mechanic's butt next time I see him around :p

Seriously now, I think we should be allowed to carry bricks and empty bottles in the cockpit (like in WWI) because it would be easier to hit with those things than with the lousy guns the early 109s have (E and F are the worst for that matter).

On one of those 2 sorties I mentioned before, I used 60% of my cannon from d3 to hit 1 lucky shot and, thankfully to the caliber (30mm), score the kill :dark: . That just doesn't seem realistic to me. :shuffle:

Well, realism doesn't seem to be "in vogue" here anyway. Can anyone tell me why La7 is out in 1944 and the Me262 isn't?

13. -blue-

-blue- Well-Known Member

and i flown a sortie on g10 killng 6 reds and rtbing with 18% ammo for mk108 left. i run out of fuel sooner then ammo :)
    mk108 hits great when the con siluette feels your front view entirely ;)
    i also managed to hit one lucky shot from d5, but that was very lucky. in general i like the idea of not being srprayed on from d5-6-7 etc

14. Snakeye

Snakeye Well-Known Member

AFAIR, only weapons <=20 mm are affected by new dispersion. 30mm and bigger guns shoot exactly the same as before... :p

15. ledada

ledada Well-Known Member

aiming is my weakest point and since it has been only two days to experience the new features of fhl-v142, i'm not quite sure about the reason for the following.

i like to fly the 109's without r6 (for one reason is to improve aiming) and the cannon tracers almost fill a doubled radius of my inner gunsight-circle. for me it is very difficult to correct my aiming after first burst, because tracers spread so much, i can't say which is reliable.
    i also tried to shooting at <d2 which gave me three collies after hitting well (of course this is probably another weakness of my skills)

since dispersion is a random factor, i think it is now more difficult to train skills, because random factors are more difficult to consider.

it is a new situation and i certainly need more experience, but at the moment i don't like it so much...

16. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

i didnt find much difficulties.. my advice: practice offline

do a fighter sweep, you alone against one, two, three and then four enemies once you can :)

choose a TnB plane (start with ki43) and shoot F4Fs. put convergence to 100, and shoot as close as possible.

it helps with aim, speed regulation, and E determination. i did it alot, and was almost killing 100% of cons by killing their engines (on purpose) :p