He-111 Cockpit

Discussion in 'Screenshots and Images' started by Franz-, Mar 28, 2003.

1. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

Here some samples of my cockpit to he-111, now we need the 3d model hehehe :D

[]'s

franz-

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 24, 2003
  2. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

very well done.
    great foward view in that plane. would have been a great divebomber. maybe the challenge of installing a moving nosegun is why this plane is not in so many sims.
    thought I should add this picture for comparison purposes.
    they compare nicely, i think.

3. Mach-1

Mach-1 Well-Known Member

To sem pralavras Franz

Ta linda !!!!

[ ] ´s

4. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

5. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

'

Attached Files:

6. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Exec,

that photograph seems to show a post-war modification. Most of the instruments are modern, the grouping in blocks by coloured lines wasn't usually done in WW2 either.

The aircraft is dual-control, anyway, while the Luftwaffe He 111 had full controls only on the left side. The control column was mounted centrally with the yoke on a arm that could be pivoted so that the plane could be flown from the right seat, too :)

The navigator didn't have throttles or rudder pedals or anything though.

Another unique feature of the He 111's pilot seat could be raised to that the pilot's head stuck out of a moving panel on top of the canopy! 8-O There was a small windscreen in front of him to protect him from the slipstream.

(This was meant for landings in very bad visiblity when the curved perspex of the canopy became a visual obstruction. The British test pilot Eric Brown called it an "instant Tiger Moth conversion" :)

(We could actually model it using the head-out-of-cockpit function usually reserved for carrier aircraft!)

In Brown's "Wings of the Luftwaffe", there's a good cockpit drawing that conforms with the WW2 era photos I've seen. The instrument panel is suspended from the ceiling ahead of the pilot, and there's a small panel to the left as well.

Previous He 111 cockpit thread:

http://forum.wbfree.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=9333&highlight=heinkel+hohun

WW2 era photograph:

http://www.x-plane.org/users/hohun/he111cockpit.jpg

Below my sketch (I took some freedom in arranging the instruments, but you get the idea).

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

Attached Files:

7. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

8. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Exec,

>anyways, the picture above is too raw.

Well, the picture posted by Garros is taken from the right seat in an oblique angle, so it doesn't really show the pilot's view.

Unfortunately, Franz' original pictures don't load for me, but I'm sure he did a better job than I! :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

9. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

I'll send pics again... links above are broken :(

About he-111 3d model. -fla-- is with one Jane's model I sent to him... he just need to convert to a LW7 readable format, than we can import and adapt to WB.

[]'s
    franz-

10. Mach-1

Mach-1 Well-Known Member

Deletou as fotos Franz !?

11. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

não, o kra que hospedou as fotos apagou :)

daki uns dia eu ajeito

12. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

cant see any any pic.
    attach or link one on ftp?

13. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

hey guys wait a little, my CD drive broke... I'll fix that links saturday
    []'s

14. Holmes

Holmes Well-Known Member

Hello,

Here is cockpit from original He-111P (Norwegian AF Museum) :

[​IMG]

Another one from Madrid (don't know version but look at the doubled controls - post war modidication ?? :dunno: ):

[​IMG]

Close up to He-111 P gauges:

[​IMG]

And now, some details :rolleyes:

Bomb select unit (Luftwaffe "version" of Norden gunsight):

[​IMG]

Temperature gauge:

[​IMG]

And look at that link (v.detailed metric data and comapred many He-111 versions): http://www.xs4all.nl/~fbonne/warbirds/ww2htmls/heinhe111.html

15. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

cool! nice pictures!

16. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Franz,

>Here some samples of my cockpit to he-111, now we need the 3d model hehehe :D

Awesome work! :)

One little thing though: You've selected a point of view that's almost on the centreline of the aircraft, creating the impression of looking over the right shoulder of the pilot and not actually being in the pilot seat.

Do you think it would be possible to move the point of view a bit to the left for a true pilot's perspective, or would that be too much work now that the cockpit is as good as finished?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

17. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Holmes,

Thanks for the interesting pictures! Just the kind of stuff we need! :)

>Bomb select unit (Luftwaffe "version" of Norden gunsight):

Hm, I think the allied counterpart was actually called something like "intervalometer" because it released the bombs in pre-defined sequence and intervals.

I seem to remember reading that the German version was more flexible in allowing changing the sequence in flight while the US version would respond with stuck bombs on attempts to do so. Generally, they did the same job though.

The German "version" of the Norden sight actually was based on the real Norden. In the 1930s, a Norden employee of German descendence had copied the plans and turned them over to Göring. It wasn't the fully-featured WW2 version yet, but it seems the Germans improved it from the 1930s version in just the same way the Americans did.

So if in Warbirds we're using Norden sights for German bombers, this is actually pretty realistic :)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

18. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

Hmmm, too work for some details :)

ju88 have a righted-shoulder view too, or not?

besides this, your real view is in the center of plane... thus the cockpit view should be the center view, not real pilot view...

[]'s

PS.: (mb others planes I could make a diff cockpit stile...)

19. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Franz,

>Hmmm, too work for some details :)

I was afraid you'd say that! :-(

>ju88 have a righted-shoulder view too, or not?

No. The bombers all seem to have pilot views.

>besides this, your real view is in the center of plane... thus the cockpit view should be the center view, not real pilot view...

The pilot is so close to the aircraft centre that from looking at the outside world, you hardly see any difference, though. You see a big difference with regard to the canopy framing, however.

>PS.: (mb others planes I could make a diff cockpit stile...)

Hey - you mean you're going to make more of these great cockpits? That's fantastic! :) What's going to be next?

One other bomber I'd like to see is the Tupolev SB. I already built a model in another simulator - X-Plane - for it.

http://www.x-plane.org/users/hohun/tupolev_sb2.jpg

I have no painting skills at all, though, and am using an entirely generic cockpit :-/

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

20. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

well well... :) I'm in hi school, thus I only have an "WB time" in my short vacations...

I'm not sure which cockpit will be the next one... I dont remember if there is a wb plane without cockpit yet... I guess is better to think about existing planes or some are intended to be added to wb (like he-111). Btw, nice work with that tupolev, are you adapting it to wb?

Next vacation (february I guess) I'll see what can I do... maybe I can correct he-111 POV to pilot view :)

[]'s
    franz-