I am considering getting a Chromebook.

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by hezzey, Nov 15, 2021.

1. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Since I got really sick and recovered I have noticed that I have diminished capabilities.
    I don’t have time or desire to endlessly fiddle with new things.
    I have heard and read about the almost fool-proof Chrome OS which sets in mostly laptops.
    Those laptops were called chrome boxes 10 years ago I don’t think they are anymore I don’t know what they’re called.
    You buy one it can be cheap just a couple hundred bucks or it can be a couple thousand bucks.
    I have some savings I don’t know which model I want but I think I’m going to get one.
    You bring it home and un-box it plug it in and turn it on and then it asks you your Gmail email address and the thing sets up.
    Hi don’t consider GNU/Linux powerhouses essential anymore they are too complicated and complex and hazardous for me nowadays. See caveat below…
    Very importantly I don’t give a shit about games on a PC.
    Also very importantly I am not task driven meaning I am not told what to do anymore I do not have to “work” on a PC.
    I pretty much just use a PC for the Internet/web.
    That is what a ChromeBox is for.
    The things are said to be almost full proof.
    Especially if the user doesn’t want or need to fuck around they just want the thing to work at work reliably.
    I high don’t know how much savings I will have in the new year except to say it will be more than I have now.
    For almost peanuts I could get a cheapo chrome books for just a couple hundred Canadian dollars.
    Or I could get a really nice one all loaded up and even have a nice video and a big SSD and 16 GB of RAM if I wanted.
    I would get updates for six or eight years (!!!)
    I could get one of the mid range chrome books with sufficient ram hard drive space and graphics with some study I could get GNU/Linux to work on it which would be hog heaven.
    I am not terribly fond of hegemonic Yankee monopolies and I know what Google is and that is what it is.
    Reassurance that I could get GNU/Linux in it and working may be the selling point.
    I do kind of like the idea behind chrome OS and those chrome boxes it is pretty much a one-button press factory-reset. Google play store And the ready availability of android apps is pretty cool. I am well aware that if I install GNU/Linux three thing will not be nearly as secure as a chromebook…
    And if I should install GNU/Linux I wouldn’t even need to use the chrome OS part of it.
    (I love to take the months to research and select my technology that is a lot of fun)
    (I am a pedestrian and a pauper and high very much dislike being limited in my travel capability and in shipping heavy fragile things a laptop I think is what I’m going to tend towards for the rest of my living days…. a smart phone does not have to be for computing all I need is for one that works PLUS a laptop for writing letters and stuff like that)

Last edited: Nov 15, 2021
  2. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

Hezzey persona. Really?

3. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I am not going to get a chromium thing.
    I am going to go with what is familiar and that is Manjaro which is a type of GNU/Linux.
    I do not look forward to any surprises at all it will be working on Christmas day I think..

4. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

(BTW)
    I recommend you try Manjaro the XFCE flavour.

OldUncles likes this.
  5. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Manjaro (Linux) looks to me a lot like The old classic windows 95!!
    I don’t know about it behaving like windows 95 I mean it does all the basic computing that a human being would expect from a PC.
    But it’s guts/its soul is GNU/Linux.
    I am very comfortable and almost even bored using Manjaro. Hi never get any surprises using it. I have been using it since it was version eight and I think that is about eight years ago too.
    And it just keeps on ticking away and I really don’t notice any changes although I guess they do happen (like polish).
    That is part of the reason why I decided I was just going to buy a refurbished model of the computer that I already have that has a broken power supply.
    I mean to say that once I plug that thing in it’s just gonna work and I won’t have any surprises.
    I am sure I would get a surprise if I had gone and give them the money to buy a ChromeBox.
    I think Christmas is going to be lots of fun.

6. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

Oh I will be sure to install the Maniaro OS, that has the XFCE desktop environment.
    The XFCE looks just like windows 95. But it is not Win 95 (!!).
    VLC for playing sound and video files I am leech off the Internet..
    Steam of course… I am not a gamer as I am getting too old and I don’t have the time or the strength to even care anymore. That said I do like a couple old games from back in the day they are mostly turn based strategy…
    I don’t know how much of my ram will be installable I am counting on 16 because I have 2x8 already in my temporary busted PC in the closet…
    I don’t know what else will be already installed in the brand new secondhand one …. and I am well aware of how hardware assemblers fuck around and make it so that he make it 31 instead of 32 and that sort of thing… I would like to have the complete suite of 32 GB but I already have a bunch of ram chips and I just will put them all in there and hope for the best…
    I have a old obsolete Nvidia graphics card it suits me recall I am not a useful and well muscled gamer anymore…
    What doesn’t matter you can go ahead and ignore it I just read it to inform the (very few) people who care.
    By the way I am very pleased that I do not know a single soul that even knows how to turn on my PC…
    That means that the next time I fall over and should I stay down that there is no little prick going to go through my hard drives and stuff like that and further expose me.
    Holy fuck that was rough in 2008 and I hate every single person in my family except for my mom and my son and his mom… (maybe they are just being polite and hate my guts too?) so needless to say I do not have a computer or computers for the sake of anyone except for me.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021
  7. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

BTW I use Arch*

* I know I know! Stop arguing with me!

Last edited: Dec 16, 2021