I am making a Linux distro

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by rudeboy, Jun 11, 2009.

1. seung_sahn

seung_sahn Banned

Smokin' Guns is fun. Runs on both Linux and Windows. Basically a standalone western style Quake 3 mod. http://www.smokin-guns.net

2. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

In the same category there's Urban Terror. www.urbanterror.net

The game I like the most out of all linux ones is an air traffic control clone. Dunno exactly how it's called, but I first found it in a VM image of ubuntu. It's simple almost ASCII graphics and commands are issued by typing, sth. like "a t 60 a 50" which would mean "plane 'a' turn to 60* and make your alt 50". Don't recall exactly but it was something like that. Fun game, I once spent about 3-4hrs typing those commands. Of course it gets harder as you go, so after a while you're typing like a mad man :D
    There is no pause in that game...

Last edited: Aug 15, 2009
  3. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

4. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Yes, the binary is old and shortsightedly made. It doesn't take into account version naming of libraries. (ie. libcurl.so.2 when TW was named -> libcurl.so.3 of today) Llibcurl.so.3 is backwards compatible with 2 so you can make it work with a simple symbolic link.

Ofcourse it wouldn't be this hard if TW staff would have bothered a) update TW engine since what..2003? b) make the original version with some foresight

But even now..if you want to run TW on linux you certainly can do it :
    http://doug.letough.free.fr/TW/

5. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

There was more fun stuff to do with flight sims back when Chuck Jager's Air Combat was around. Things haven't gotten better, really.
    No, I mean it.

I am reading the paged linked to, illo, tks

Last edited: Aug 21, 2009
  6. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

I never liked that Chuck Yaeger/Jager/ whatchamacallit game.

What was more fun IMHO way back when was SWOTL and when the hackers got hold of it and offered all the editing software and option tweaks; reviving dead pilots, night flights, optional guns and different aircraft skins.

Yea, even the Doom hacks/editors were more fun back then.

7. rudeboy

rudeboy Well-Known Member

Had to do a bit of work to make it run, but it does.
    Now I have to fool with some weird joystick/kernel/objects_dependancies and other argument. Saitek X52
    fuck.
    If it ain't one thing, it's another, eh?
    I had to ditch the slackware I run normally and go for the lowest common denominator... Not because slack isn't good, but becuase I am not the engineer I would like to be...

Debian/Ubuntu should do me nicely, the kernel module loads on boot, which means the X52 should not be arguing bastard thing.

Things could be worse than better:
    OTOH
    If I could [fellatio myself], I would never have to go out.

8. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Oh but there are good flight sims. For example DCS: Black Shark. A true masterpiece.

-Z