Is my problem that I am getting old?

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by hezzey, Feb 17, 2022.

1. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

So I get a new [used actually, the ad said it is LIKE NEW] PC.
    As soon as I got it home, I rebooted it, din't even look at the garbage it came with [MS crap] and rebooted with a USB stick I had. THAT USB stick had a OS already, it contained all I wanted and needed, and was NOT MS Crap.
    I get to a Live Session [we, in the Linux World can usually boot to the thing and run it it even displays the Desktop GUI, that helps a lot, because ya can SEE IF IT WORKS even...]
    Well, I installed it BUT I had to figure out WTF all the crap that MS did to the PC, before I even got it.
    EUFI? WTF?
    Secureboot? WTF?
    And I had to reboot to get to those setting. That means the PC was NOT ready-to-go.
    When I ordered it, the ad said, READY TO GO
    It was not.
    SO I had to learn all about the CRAP that the Hegemonic OS had done to a PC that I JUST WANT TO RUN.
    And it didn't JUST RUN.
    OH, the USB Stick ran, just fine, BUT I was NOT about to install a Linux onto a HDD that was from Mars or wherever the Hegemon [I won't say] thinks is The New normal. I had to GO BACK TO SCHOOL to find out about THE NEW WAY.
    I will never use The New Way once I have THE OLD WAY back again.
    I have it back again.
    I DREAD THE NEXT PC I GET!!!!!
    I think I am gonna do what My Granddad had to do. HE GAVE UP!!!! He spent his tast ten years not even knowing how to start his TV!!!!

This is my current HDD. I dare NOT try to install a second OS, instead I guess I will have to buy another HDD....
    PS it is in the picture below [if that woks]. I do NOT know what is a boot/efi ( it is labelled esp....) flag nor why it is a boot partition. I must admit I had to guess my way through that, it was agony. OH I know what is a swap partition, I know what is a /home partition, I know what is a /root.
    BUT the rest of the stuff and all the fucking setting [PRESS f2 or f4 or f10 and hold down on boot and then what???].
    I had to learn how to saddle a horse!!!!!! [make sure it is curry-combed first and de-worm it......... FUCK!!!!

https://photos.app.goo.gl/zHNwBYRLx5QtPekw8

[I solved it, now I have to wait, one day I will have to endure installing another : Latest Greatest PC].

Last edited: Feb 17, 2022
  2. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I KNOW I have a huge Swap Partition. I might even know how to change it. I do NOT know what to do with the root or is that the home? I do not really want to go back to school, to learn how to plow with a team of mules or how to pick a oxen's nose.
    I am getting old FUCK

3. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

I resized the swap partition. Successful
    THEN I rebooted.
    The system worked.
    THEN I resized the [WTF} Partition.
    Then I rebooted.
    The system worked [!]
    And now I still do not have just what I wanted. I have a /home and a /root partition's contents in a single partition like as if a granny installed it. As if granny just hit enter the defaults.
    I did not see any Enter The Defaults Button in the Live USB [sometimes there IS a Enter The Defaults Button and sometimes not, that depends on the distro, this didn't have that...I was stuck].
    I dare not do anything more, this will work. AND when I next purchase a PC it will have to be one Made with GNU/Linux in it, already, and read-to-go.
    AND dare not do anything with it [I should not have tried with this one even!], Like my [now dead] Grand-dad had to do with his TV. He watched the ONE channel until someone came over for a visit. I am in a similar position, except that my whole family hates my guts, won't come over, ever and I hate everyone anyway, so I never ask for help unless I have a fire.....

4. hezzey

hezzey Well-Known Member

It is difficult to order Linux PCs, but I have to, now I just want ALL the ram I can afford and a half decent Video card, the rest of the thing can be commodity stuff. I HOPE I can do that right. In about five years....