My favorite RTS Game

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by hezey, Jul 8, 2015.

1. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

It is called a 'Alpha' software.
    I don't understand, it has been alpha for years. It is far better than an 'Alpha' it is a very good 'Beta.'
    Software called 0AD [Zero Aye Dee].
    Up to eight players on a LAN or, uh, that fucking game server, what is it called? Anyway, there is a loby for group play. I haven't used it, but testing it it works fine at home. But very hard to play as multiple players, uh, ever try juggling?
    Well, I want to play with a human, BUT I don't want to Fight To The Death, I want [and always have been interested in] to explore the 'game system.'
    Winning or losing is, to me, irrelevant.
    Like switching sides when playing chess.... I always liked doing that.
    Enjoy a game not a player [uh, I don't like raping anyone, I just like to whack em good].

In the clip below, I have set up the opposing sides. One I control, the other, I have it set up to do the 'Bums Rush' against a array of Roman Squares.

The two sides are even strength, but one side is using more 'linear' formations than the other. See the Phalanx? It is imperfect, because I let the AI do most of that sides work. If I wanted to, I would have withdrawn that side, instead of letting the AI to commit suicide in a losing fight. :shuffle:
    I have tried to emulate the Roman ballteflied strategy called a 'Manipulable' cohort, uh, using the formations called Maniples.
    I think there are 8 of those in a cohort. But this is a game and everything is scaled all funny, like.

Uh.
    Lookie:

https://youtu.be/fou2tvCu_FE

Last edited: Jul 8, 2015
  2. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

A little off-topic, but have you tried the Wargame series (European Escalation / Air Land Battle / Red Dragon)?

3. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I went YouTube and looked. Looks good.
    I prefer historical stuff, uh, pike-and-musket and earlier, but I have and will love modern and play. Now that I have a brain injury my mental abilities are not very competitive [it doesn't hurt, not a bit].
    I have a few John Tiller Games...... They are not as graphically appealing.... more like traditional table-top war-games.
    This 0ad is a lot of work to learn to use and play well, takes most of my gaming time these days....
    [And my X-Plane install media has busted, so I am STUCK until I can find the money to replace it].

Last edited: Jul 17, 2015