P-39 flight characteristics

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by hezey, Dec 22, 2012.

1. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Please, I hope this isn't OT.
    I LOVE P-39.

First off the simulated P-39s I have flown are all the ones you would too if you used flight simulators. All of them have a feel as different from one another as the model of plane, the flight model, and the feel of the simulator, and it's fidelity.
    I have readed a tonne of books.
    I know that many USA pilots who flew those P-39s flew the wrong tactics and mission until their bosses learned better and too, before they got new equipment so the P-400s could fly missions more suited to them. The pilots disliked the plane mostly.
    VVS pilots liked it, loved it.
    I have been using the best flight sim I have ever had and flying a model of a VVS Cobra for many months now, about once a week usually, I am trying to fly and never crash.
    So, sometimes I sit at my PC and just examine maps and weather conditions and upnerving myself to fly, because I don't want to crash and ruin my streak.
    I have not logged my flying hours, but I bet it is 100 hours.......
    Since Christmas last year flying the P-39 without crashing.
    Yep.
    31 flights as of today. [And a lot more touch n goes.]
    Yep.
    In a P-39
    If you use X-Plane, I want you to try that.

Okay, uh:
    Fair weather. VFR always. No ATC. No flight plan. Sorry, I am not perfect.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2012
  2. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Why is it a big deal to do that above stuff?
    Well.
    The P-400 had a variable pitch propeller. NOT a constant speed. SO there are times flying if you do not carefully co-ordinate pitch with engine revs, prop revs, and the crazy CoGyou get a crazy effect because of torque. Over revin the engine is obvious because you can hear it. But you better have your head in the cockpit flying those, because the ship will run you into the ground if you fuck around on an approach. You have to make your final at about 150 IAs. ANd the plane will not stop rolling once you touch down, brakes will not do it for you, you have to ramp the pitch pitch to a fine pitch. To get the P-400 to brake.
    ANd once you do that, you better not need to go around, because throttling up to to abort is a whole complicated and careful process, lets you auger in.
    I can hardly wait because in the new year I am gonna get a better PC and I will be able to fool with some other softwares. Like a good AC sim, but I gotta have it more realer.
    I am tryin to only do stupid stuff in other planes, and usin the p-400 or p-39 as a, uh.
    I am thinking how cool it would be to maybe make up my mind that if I crash the P-400 I gotta go and shoot myself in the head.
    No, but I think that would be a really cool idea for a story.
    Bye.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  3. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Yes, I like the P-39 a lot too.. but I really would like the P-63 better!!!!

:D

4. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I really liked the fact Bell listened to fighting men and superstar VVS flyers and almost custom built the P-63 for USSR.
    If not for timing of events, Bell could have wound up a different sort of company than they did end up. The world would't have been much different, but Bell would have been.

Consider:
    If the Armée de l'Air had in 1939, 500 hawks and in 1940 a thousand kittyhawks would not the outcome of history have been different?
    If the british had bought say, for real cheap too, 1000 Brewster Buffalos, a real good deal, and renewed a contract, so the yanks would keep sending em.
    Or if GB had got a P-38 with Counterprops to test, instead of the crap they did get.
    Probably not.
    Luftwaffe tactics were better.
    But yeah, there are underdog fighter war-fighting planes and bombers.

Just some from my thinkin:

P-36.
    P-39
    P-63

[strange way the numbers line up]

5. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

The biggest influence causing failures while flying a P-39 was to try flying it like a previous plane, designed completely different. This was a common mistake coming from folks who flew F4Fs, P40s, P47s, Spitfires, and then jumped into a P38. The P39 for me was a really odd beast to fly. A combination of characteristics from other aircraft. Once a person understands the limitations of an aircraft, then a person can work with what strengths and usable effects that aircraft can provide. That's how I've stuck with the P38. Knowing it's limits, knowing it's strengths. I always push the limits of every aircraft I fly in a simulator. Much to the disdain of my victims.

6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Happy new year!

You in a P-38 pushing limits?
    Ha. You do not seem to exceed them too often.

My X-Plane flying is helping me in my Other Sims Flying too.
    I do not push limits in the P-39 in the X-Plane. Because of my above typed goal. I don't want to croak meself.

Kiddin.

7. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

HNY! Thanks.

Well, I have been out of WB and I suppose some modeling has changed again so, I'll probably die a bunch before shaking off the rust.

As for other sims, I've found that other flight simulators are quite easy compared to WBFH. This current modeling, if like when I left, is certainly a challenge.

8. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Well to join-in on the "what ifs" :

Firstly the Brits REFUSED to buy the contra-rotating P-38 as they claimed the extra costs were not worth it.
    Secondly the Americans did not offer the turbo-supercharged engines to the Brits ! In fact they were classified top secret.

As far a 1,000 kittyhawks, well, IMHO: the brits were broke snobs that couldn't afford to buy that many and the special interests there wanted the government to spend the money on home industry- home industrialist rather than Ausländerin.....

:D

9. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Yeah. The counter-props were, I believe, unique to USA industry. I don't know why the brits didn't want those: Probably as you said, but of course, you simplified your point. Why did not the NAZI Germany industry embrace counter-props? They certainly could have, they were not backward garage built machines like most of what GB was making pre-war. But the NAZI German industry was pretty tech savvy but were commanded by a guy who wasn't.
    GB ordering the P-40? Well, if the P40M was around in 1938, I wonder if they would have bought them? But there weren't any packard-merlins being made at that time, and there was seen no need for a fast low level fighter plane, when there was a slower low level one already being made [hurricane]. Recall, the USA was demanding gold for pay of their goods. GB was going broke very quickly in 1938-39 and were broke in 1940.
    The P-40 could have been a real hit if, if only....
    Merikans and their propeatary patents could have done in the alies.
    Soviets did not get AP rounds for they cannon ammo imports.
    GB never got proximity shells.

Back on topic:
    I have not flown the simulated P-39 in my X-Plane since I wrote the above. For the same sorts of reasons I would feel like flying one in real life:
    If not ready, don't get into the air.
    Oh, I am flying lots of other stuff in X-Plane, the P-39 is my personal challenge to myself.
    Have not any of you used X-Plane?
    There is no fucking way any of you tools can compare X-Plane [with two or more FMs calculating at once [whoaaaaa] to Wb, hahahaha.
    Oh, if you like to play at bing pretend fighter pilots, sure, but then you ain't gonna have the same fidelity of flight model, but much better bullet ballistics modeled, eh?

[I don't know if I said that right]

10. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Tools huh? Well, if easy chair eye candy is what you want, then enjoy it. Some of us like to race around a track and don't pay attention to the pretty scenery. If you like to watch nature and all the pretty colors and lights, well, then jump in your golf cart and cruise around the golf course path. We'll stay on the track and have our fun. You can say pretend fighter pilots all you want but, that's just because not everyone can reach a point of skill level to compete. Some people don't understand aerodynamics, gravity, g-forces, strategy, and situational awareness. If you're too old to compete, thinking too slowly, forgetting what a dogfight is, then retire your combat suit, put your jet on autopilot, and fly into the sunset.

:joystick:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  11. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Don't be offended. I like ac sims. And i like civilian ones too.
    When a family of four is in a cesna 172 in the bush and weather sweeps in so they cannot look at pretty trees, or see the horizon, that is as interesting as being shot at, eh?
    I mean, death is pretty exciting and so is avoiding being killed, even in a cessna 172, flying IFR [VFR is flying, IFR is navigating, or, uh, piloting]

GET ON THE TOPIC:
    I posted an off-topic topic about the topic I called P-39 something something.
    I was trying to get someone to realize that flying is difficult, oh, a 6 year old can guiide a Piper Cub [I did]
    But he ain't gonna be piloting it.
    Every fighter pilot is a pilot first.
    Every pilot may not be a fighter pilot.
    Not all drama involves guns.
    My Granny's old friend flew into a mountain a long time ago. I wanted to find out what killed him, HE WAS A PILOT, but in 197something, when he was killed, he was in a cessna, or something, I can't remember, but I did want to know how an expert, like he was, could confuse a dark thing in fron't of him from a horizon, got me interest in many exciting ways to be killed, even ones as exciting as trying to get to Calgary and not getting there.
    His name was Tomas, I don't recall his first name. He was a P-39 pilot, at one time, but he was a Cessna pilot at another.
    I bet his last thought was:
    Holly s
    RIP Mr Tomas, yout taught me that there aren't very many P-39s at the Local airfield. But LOTS of fun to have still.
    And ya can still get killed, even flying out there, without any cannons.

31 completed flights in the civilan sim I love so much. 31!
    Perhaps a hundred or more hours.
    Now think, many real pilots have thousands of logged hours [I didn't log, I am not that hardcore, who would give a fuck about my log of pretend hops in a P-39 [or any pretend plane].

[BTW, Last time I flew in the FH, I gave as good as I got, uh, no, I did better than that, but I was autopilot killed [pretend version] a couple times too - I think I am not as suck as you think man, you are in that 1%, but some nice player once told me that I am above average too, but in pretend combat flying, there needs different skills than pretend navigation flying even when simulated, indeed, ALW!]

I want you to have the P-38 simulated plane you flying to freeze your balls off and make the plexiglass get icy, so you can't see, then I want you to wonder why you simulate plane is acting funny, what is that white stuff everywhere? [clouds]. Why is the plane losing altitude [ice]? And when you crash it, I want you to find out why, it won't be because some better guy got you, it will be because P-38 froze pilots and not seeing can make you crash into the simulated ground.
    UNLESS you can stick your head in the cockpit.
    THAT is what I was trying to do as a kid.
    I want o be a fighter pilot, then grew a bit and wanted to be just a pilot [I got eye-glasses at 11]
    Then I found out I was gonna be lower middle class and became content to fly, to PILOT, in sims.

Come grab a copy of X-Plane.
    It is hard to navigate. Challenging. Satisfying. I can do it without my heart racing and making me think, HEY I AM TOO EXCITED PLAYING THIS COMBAT SIM! MAYBE I AM GONNA HAVE A FUCKIN HEART ATTACK WHILE PLAYING A GAME!
    X-Plane, maybe I am gonna shoot myself in the head after botching a landing or flying into a horizon that is really a pretend mountain, and have to get my gun and shoot myself in the head..... As real as it gets?
    Nah.
    Hey, yer retinas okay after all those negative gees? Of course, because you are using PRETEND negative Gees, man. And flying pretend fighter planes into pretend dirt.

I think I am gonna buy a pretend toy gun so I can get up the nerve to fly X-Plane P-39. I feel my time is limited, I am not gonna fly a hundred, NFW.
    But I don't want to get too depressed when I fail, so maybe get that pretend gun so I can pretend suicide after pretend shame and simulated disgrace.

Last edited: Jan 21, 2013
  12. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not offended. Was hoping you'd show up in the arenas and show your stuff.

1. I think you're very confused. Confused about reality and confused about simulators. This is like making an argument about people hiking. Some people venture off into cold areas which are known to be dangerous because of the elements, and never return. Some people venture off into the low land woods which are known to be dangerous because of the creatures, and never return. You can pick your battles. Understanding your environment is key. Some people get too excited about something they are watching and cannot disconnect from something they have no connection with in the first place. I guess if nature having it's way with your soul is exiting, then join the coast guard or some mountain rescue team. :p

2. Everything you see on your computer screen is pretend. I'm sure you realize that. You can get up out of your chair while flying your pretend X-Plane game and get a coffee and come back, look out the window at the mountain, and sip. Then lightly bank your pretend plane toward the pretend valley, looking at the fake sun, and pretend clouds.

I guess that's why simulators like X-Plane don't interest me. Because it's all fake. I know that. The only thing real about X-Plane is the guy using it. What's real about combat simulators are the opponents. The opponents are another human on the other end. That other group of pixels actually has intelligence and communicates. Back in WWII people who participated in combat would shoot down a plane, and have no problem with it. That was because they could disconnect the reality that said that aircraft was human, when it only looked like a machine. Once a person jumped out, or a pilot was in view, reality would hit them and they would go no further. Unless they were one of those callous human beings who are jaded in their conscience.

I've been a passenger in aircraft many times, and I find it very interesting. The most excitement I had was when I was in a Waco, a bi-plane for acrobatics. An open cockpit aircraft. The pilot pulled a few maneuvers, and it was great fun. In a simulator, it's not fun. It's boring, it's fake.

Chasing or being chased, that is fun. some people like to hike, some people like to compete in the ironman. I like to compete. Competing against nature and losing just sounds depressing.

I suppose if the WBFH team decides to turn on the wind it'll get interesting.

I hope you'll be in for a visit when I'm on and we can duel a few times before you lose complete interest.

Keep in mind about all this. It's the concept. Not about how real it is.

The game is useless without people. That's why we show up.

13. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I played over a weekend a few weeks back. As nick hezeyk or hezeyj or something.... Spent a long time in the virtual skies in the fh.
    I like the flight model, or the feel of the controls, whatever it is they devs have done.
    I was successful in 4/5 of my fights. well maybe 7/10? Anyway, I had some fun.

14. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Yeah, the characteristics are pretty decent. It's not that difficult to me because I've adjusted to it. I just hope new people who show up for the first time, like I showed up in Air Warrior will find a Relaxed Realism arena where they can have some fun. Then move on to the main arena where the difficulties provide the challenge they work into.

15. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I did that relaxed realizm one for some moths and was gettin to hot shit, man. Full realism players used to enter the relaxed ones to tease and cajole, to recruit hotshit players into full real, to humble em.
    And I got with Esquasduadrile Mustang Sally
    I was enthusiastic and.... well, that.
    Remember those guys who all flew nothin but fw190s? Our fuckin arch enemies they were. Ponies verses 190s, r i v a l r y Oooh the forum was fun too.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2013
  16. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I am just now gonna take off from Abbotsford, my city, the airport there, and fly around a bit and then land at stave lake abandoned airfield, it is really short, the runway is, I don't remember.
    I will go look.
    I am gonna fly a Canadair CL-415. And touch down there.
    Go google earth it. Take a look. Ha.
    And I cannot make the scenery be all pretty like, I don't have a good enough computer.
    I see the mountains and the water and the sky, you will see, in a bit, because I am gonna post a bit of a flight in the X-Plane in the Linux, sort of. You will see, hehehe.
    Wait.