Pietas' tactics

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Glas, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

His favoured tactic, evidenced by his stats (and personal experience) is killing people while they are either on the runway (hence his large number of bomb/rox hits for much fewer targets) or have just taken off/landing.

Vulching as a way of attacking cons while trying to cap is essential. Vulching without necessity is historically accurate, but not nice. In fact, in any other 'game' (thats what it is ;) ) it would be ridiculed as attacking while the enemy is in their spawn. No doubt we have all done it at some point or another.

But to make an art of it, to the extent that this is your main tactic, leaves a bad taste in my mouth personally.

Is he actually as good at any other kind of air combat? I cant honestly remember being killed by him in an even fight.

2 people like this.
  2. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

apparently he is better at the game than you & it makes you angry

3. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

When someone can win, it's no longer an even fight.

4. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

is that a samoan with a tampon?

5. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

It's Dwayne 'The Rock' Johnson with a G-spot vibrator.

6. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

First - who is taking off from field where cons appears? I do not do that. You apparently do. F10 under attack? Take of from F12, F11...
    Second - never seen him attacking cons on the runway (if he are, then most likely we are trying to cap that field) - he attacks cons already in air, just after start.

7. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Most of his kills come not from vulching cons taking off, but from vulching cons who are landing. And another favoured tactic is bombing people (landing or taking off) whilte they are on the runway.

Granted, if you take off from a field that you know is under attack, you are taking a chance.

The reason I brought the subject up was because it was he who was saying in another thread that decisions by admins are forcing people out of the game. IMO it is actually the actions of people like Pietas who force people out of the game, especially newer pilots (I know of one pilot for sure that has left the game because of his ilk).

8. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

He would be far from being the only one if that was the case. But yet ive got every respect for the other experienced, good pilots in the arena.

Try again :rolleyes:

9. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Well, one that starts off even ;)

10. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

Not much of a difference killing a guy in the spawn position than when he's still getting his wheels up. Actually, if you attack a con taxiing or starting to accelerate, he'll probably ditch. If you attack him when he has lifted some meters, he'll for sure crash. So it's even easier to vulch.

About him attacking only when field is under attack, that's not true. I once found him over f3-f5 in this map, while attacks were taking place between f11 and f10. Of course, as xela does, as soon as he gets a single hit and does not have air superiority, he flies away...

With all of this i'm not attacking pietas and telling him to change his style (he wouldn't probably do it anyway), but i want to make things clear. He's not a saint, but it's ok. I don't remember him killing me for the last 2 years anyway...

11. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

'if u find urself in an even fight, u didnt plan it right'
    whose sig this was? says it all

its not nice, kind or whatever, but this game is about getting advantage and keeping it

this game is not about 1/1 knight duels
    ww2 aerial combat wasnt about that either
    sure its great to have that kinda fight from time to time, but mainly its about getting advantage on opponents mistakes, if its rolling under enemy guns, so be it

1 person likes this.
  12. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

ekhm if he's above radar deep in enemy territory how can you know if you're rolling under guns or not? :)

13. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I get vulched every now and then, but then I have no scruples about vulching cons myself either. I have been vulched by pietas a couple of times this TOD, but what are you gonna do. I suppose I should have checked the field before taking off. My mistake.

If he really does specialize predominantly in the art of vulching then that doesn't exactly make me like / respect him more, but if that's how he wants to play the game, more power to him. It is part of the game, even tho I agree that players shouldn't vulch exclusively. But in the end the decision is up to them.

14. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Never give a sucker an even break.
    Not very charitable.
    Not sporting?

Allow me to define victory in this game as I see it:
    1)I get a kill and I get to a friendly field and I land my plane.
    or
    2)I don't get a kill, but I try really hard and then I get to a friendly field and I land my plane.
    or
    3)I get more kills than I am killed. And I don't land my plane.

If I were scrupulously careful, 1 would be the category of victory I would always attain.
    But I don't do that. Long time ago I got jaded and decided to hell with it. I don't have time to care.
    But that is just me. Those are my own personal criteria, my tactical doctrine.

I used to hate vulchers. Now I don't care.
    This effect may very well chase new players out of the game. And that may be a bad thing. I dunno.
    If vulching in the manner pietas enjoys takes away from a game, it is unfortunate because, it seems, there are players who really enjoy the vulch.
    Now, the fewer players, the fewer victims.
    What is the solution to this maybe-dilemma?

Oh and, um. I am not in the same league as Glas. He is a hot flyer. Me? Veteran, but I am shot down plenty. I am immensely proud that when I do fly serious, when I am flying to win, I win more mano a mano fights than I lose. [note the qualifying preclude before you call me awful, hehe]
    This almost qualifies me for an opinion concerning pietas sticj skills.
    I think he is pretty good in a mano a mano fight. I have seen films he took and I have jumped in using .attach more recently.
    I don't get it. I have seen him in plenty way up fights where his adantages are a hell of a lot more subtle than the advatages one in flight has against one just off the runway. I have watched him, especially, because at one time, I hated his guts. I wanted to get him on something, anything. I would have been happy to discover he was a wanted criminal or beats kicks his dog around. Alas, he turned out having no mystery about him other than being very choosey about attacking.
    I mean very choosey.

15. visk

visk Well-Known Member

My Warbirds FreeHost Gold Rule: He used some cheat? No? Then it is all right.

16. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

if thats the way it goes, u have enough time to react ;p

17. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

depends what woul du call a vulch
    ppl call me vulcher from time to time only because i attack with advantage
    may it be at 3, 5 or 7km...

but to be honest
    plane low over enemy field is an easy target
    it takes 2-3km to get the advantage on him, hes far from home, ur not
    if he wont let u roll the 1 one field, roll from the other

18. fatale

fatale Well-Known Member

What's bad on Pietas' tactics? That he shoot dwn low&slow cons? Starting cons? And? If is somebody starting from fld with cons above so he is selfmurderer, vulch is only killing landings cons for me and not starting...

If is Pietas vulcher so iam vulcher too and about 99% FHpilots with us...

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  19. Holmes

Holmes Well-Known Member

Vulching is bad behaviour???

In Your opinion only DF is fair fight? Looks like missed one point. Every Fw190 and most of 109s were created to attack from advantage of alt/speed. They are vulching monsters. B&Z is the most effective and safe tactics for german planes becouse their outstanding armament (one salvo is enough), speed and poor manevr.

For me, ppl using 190 & 109 (P51,Typhoon, P47, etc. too) for low level, low speed DF are not knights of the sky, but knights from the mental hospital.

Everyone rolling up from attacked field is easy target. The same with cons landing without checking six. :p

If I find myself in DF flying Fw190/P51/Typhoon etc. that i screwed up sthing for sure :)

IMO:

1. Always look for advantage. It's better to fly away and climb for advantage than die like an idiot in stupid DF.
    2. Never roll/land at attacked field.
    3. B&Z (vulching or whatever) isn't a cheat! It's just a kind of tactics (with many advantages but with some disadvantages too)

For me Pietas is, in the simplest way, effective.

How would You call a fighter pilot returning home with 5-8 kills in sortie, often without a scratch? Lamer or ace?
    How would You call cons rolling from attacked field, landing without checking six, engaging the fight without advantage? Aces or stupid lamas?

Last edited: Feb 12, 2006
  20. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Hmmm...

The difference between FreeHost anno 2001 and anno 2006: it used to be all about air combat and the satisfaction of a good kill, now it seems to be about being "effective" whatever the fuck that's worth?

I've once decided to no longer vulch, and I was glad I made that decision. Vulching is useless. If someone's going to land, there's no point in shooting him down. Vulching is what you do to make yourself feel better... it's not fun to just fly around and shoot some sitting ducks. It kills the fun in the game, it's like playing Quake on easy settings, where's the fun in that? You don't like the challenge of letting 'm climb to get to a co-energy status?

<Z>