Radar Program!!!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Natedo, Jun 8, 2003.

1. Natedo

Natedo Well-Known Member

On this 08/05/2003, Sunday, I met in the arena, usually flying when I came across the pilot nighto, that because of a lot of lagg, if he found logado in the server, but it was not flying, but, helping the reds, giving crucial information of the location of enemy aircrafts, he was making a primordial work, as a Controller of Radar to the reds, in that it came me an idea, but as I am not a programmer nor anything, put this topic for, maybe, a future programs that makes possible the radar operation in the arena of FH, it would help like this not as much the reds as all the pilots (reds / golds)... well give a thought about that ok.

Thank you very much! :rtfm:

Last edited: Jun 8, 2003
  2. laline

laline Well-Known Member

was ANY WWII planes equipped with radar at all?
    I know the ME110 in a late edition had som radio-frequency gear but it was not really considered as radar I guess

3. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

he means a bot that gives information through the chat buffer.

4. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

The following aircrafts flew into combat as fully functioning RADAR equipt nightfighters in WWII

Ar234
    Beaufighter
    Bf110
    DH98
    Do217
    F4U
    F6F
    Ju88
    Me262
    Me410
    P-61
    P-70

Many varieties of bombers flew with RADAR too, not only for bombing at night and detecting enemy inteceptors, but also for daylight bombing in bad weather and for hunting naval crafts. Crappy 1939 radar got very good very fast when it was needed.
    By the end of the war both axis and allies even had self guiding 'fire and forget' weapons (AKA smart bombs) which were proved effective in combat. Why the were not used more, I dont know. If I were allied general, I'd have droped a dozen BATs into every german harbour every night. If i were goering I'd have used the weapon that sunk the Roma x1000 on the allied D-day flotilla. Why that guidance system was not put on the V1s for shore defense? Probably that same or similar guidance system from FX1400 could have made V2s into excellent SAMs

5. vh-dao

vh-dao Well-Known Member

A radar program would be a good idea.
    A simple map like we already have, but add ID's to the friendly planes.

It would sovle the problem I have when I work in the twr, eg:

--ME--: "red pilot pos 3.4.7.2, check your 6"
    -BOB--: "I wounder who he's talking to"
    -host-: Kill of -BOB-- by badguy from Gold team

6. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

that is definitely NOT good idea

7. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

agree with manoce;
    wb shouldnt be too 'automated'
    we should learn to cooperate, not to use program to make half job for us (sometimes such sa is 90% of success);

8. babek-

babek- Well-Known Member

I also dont like the radar-idea.

Actually even a primitive grass field has a fully operational radar installation.

Why not only allowing radars on big fields and shutting the rest down (if the program allows such a selective setting).

9. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

Weird but this is also being discussed here: http://forum.wbfree.net/forums/showthread.php?s=&postid=183880#post183880

But heres a summary of radar in WWII:

"Radar aids to navigation did not start to become available until early in 1942 when 10 Squadrons ( less than 200 aircraft) were progessively equipped with the "Gee" ground based navigation position finding aid, and this was soon jammed over Europe by German countermeasures. The initially used airborne equipment had a very low reliability and frequently failed, maintenance costs both in parts and manpower was very high. Airborne radar using the "H2S" radar mapping equipment was slowly introduced in 1943, but similarly had a very low initial reliability. The first equipment operating on 10 cm proved very difficult to use in practice due to the coarseness of the picture, and it was not until its replacement by 3 cm equipment at the end of 1943 did "H2S" become a really usefull navigation aid. H2S also had the disadvantage that it enabled German night fighters to home on to the aircraft using it. By 1943 practially all the four engined bombers were fitted with a remote indicating gyro stabilised compass system linked to the Mk.14 bomb sight and an automatic device (Air Position Indicator) for keeping a record of course flown and speed, all of which resulted in a considerable improvement in the accuracy of navigation and target location."

that mainly relates to Airbourne radar and navagation systems, the ground based systems used by both the British and Germans were a whole different kettle of fish. You're not only talking about radars but a whole network of Radar posts, listening and observation posts along with "sound traps" was used by the British to pinpoint and work out the intended targets of the German bomber fleets.

It should also be remebered that both sides took great pains to knockout these radar and listening posts in an effort to protect the bomber fleets.

Mal

Last edited: Jun 9, 2003
  10. laline

laline Well-Known Member

I dont think the radar thing will bring any new aspects into the game.

Why not just use one player as "radar-operator" whilst the rest are flying. It is a question of team-work to me.

11. Vlamik

Vlamik Well-Known Member

I support this idea,Natedo..and I think that our actual radar system should be improved,showing at least target's alt,speed,heading and an estimated number of cons,including plane type (i.e.,buff or fighter).It shouldnґt be so accurated for a simple reason: in RL it wasnґt.Just an opinion...

12. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Natedo,

>maybe, a future programs that makes possible the radar operation in the arena of FH, it would help like this not as much the reds as all the pilots (reds / golds)... well give a thought about that ok.

This is a good idea that would make flight in a historically accurate WW2 arena even more accurate and fun.

Unfortunately, the Freehost arena is far from historically accurate.

As a result, radar mainly serves to harm coordinated attacks, forcing Jabos to play very risky by flying underneath the radar, making coordinated flights of fighters appear like priority targets on the enemy radar, and most importantly, gives away all level bomber attacks to the interceptors so that bombing is a very frustrating business on Freehost.

In my opinion, radar should be switched off completely for these reasons.

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

13. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Re: Re: Radar Program!!!

Hmmmmm never quite thought of this before, but now you mention it that sounds like a great idea!

It would, imo, result in an increase in co-ordinated attacks for 2 reasons:

1. Since there is no radar, people cant just do the 'see a con, up from nearest field' sorties, and;

2. Organised field captures would be more liable to attract cons than any other method like lonewolf flying, so covering buffs or jabo attacks would be your best chance to see some action.

And if you do want to fly rotte, there's always the radio bar to point you in the right direction :)

Not much chance of this tho, eh HoHun?

-glas-