Report: Arena skills dropping critical!!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by pietas, Sep 20, 2006.

1. thefox

thefox Well-Known Member

Well, hold on. As far as cheating is concerned....that is an old story. Cheating is something I believed years ago that....and believe now exists in the minds of those who are incapable pilots. A skilled pilot once told me...."if they don't accuse you of cheating, you're not trying hard enough!" It suggests a cheating problem, but in reality I know better. I've been flying in flight sims since 1997. I know a cheater problem when I see it. Maybe I have a different idea of what a "cheater" is.

Yes, that fact is very true in my belief of them changing some planes because someone is more often skilled than some loser who screams "cheater! cheater!". It makes sense that they would change a particular plane and degrade it's function because it's making particular people's gameplay "not fun".

Unfortunately, I see a dictatorship kind of mentality here pietas. Mixer was like this when I saw him on there often. Accusing, attacking verbally, and criticizing to the endth degree other pilots who chose to fly where and when they wanted. If I want to sit in an HMACK for 2 hours, that's my choice. I just shake my head when I see people in jeeps constantly, but that isn't something the WBFH team needs to address or should ever address. I had many people in past that thought I was cheating, but it was because I could fly particular aircraft well. I proved myself many many times in the TA. It was hilarious to see some of these goofs complain of me cheating while we were dueling. I would get accused of cheating if I dove down for speed, accused if I pulled up too soon, accused of cheating if I dove to the ground, accused if we merged and I was too low, or too high, accused of cheating if I fired after or before the merge lol:dunno: %) The only time I didn't get accused of cheating was when I fought someone who was very well skilled.

There are some people who cheat and do so because they have no skill whatsoever. Those are the ones I encountered over many years and going way back in other sims....they would pick up a phone in the house while on dial-up internet, or load a page in the background, or some other means of slowing their connect so their aircraft would disappear. THAT was cheating.

2. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Topic of this thread is faulty.
    I don't have time to fly nowadays but occasionally, so the arena skill have actually raised a dramatically.

:D

3. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

if you have a room full of children, some screaming and some quiet, it's pretty loud
    if you move one quiet child out of the room, is it less loud now? :p

4. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

Mmm fresh children yummy!

5. reuben

reuben Well-Known Member

Quiet children?

When will they be available? 1.80 launcher?

6. fatale

fatale Well-Known Member

wait "two weeks" ;)

7. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Let's take a poll as to why ppl get into hmacks.

My reason: because I was timed out as I was vulched or died in HO.

You still think air combat is vulching?

Taking away hmacks is a START but other changes have to be made(or changed back). Take away the timeouts so ppl can get back into the air.
    Make the HO rules public, CHANGE the HO rules as there is too much time lag and usually the lag is what kills the "slower" plane.

Take away tanks and jeeps. make fixed positions hmacks of greater range but 50cal only and limit positions to original ack weenie positions. Hmacks can take over functiong ack weenie positions until they are destroyed, then hmacks no longer available until rebuilt.
    Something needs to be done to discourage vulching. but super hmacks are not the answer.

I agree completely that as soon as there was too much whining flight models changed.

Two case I remember clearly: Some complaints about F6f versus the 109 and right away F6f turned into a DOG.

Complaints when more ppl used 153 against A6m and suddenly A6m turned into super plane....
    Same for the P38 and a few others.....
    YES, bring back the fun!

8. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

"Two case I remember clearly: Some complaints about F6f versus the 109 and right away F6f turned into a DOG."

You got that right. fact is it is still a dog, only half the pitch control of all other planes in the arena. i still kill well with it. but it should manuever better then it does. and this mainly do to the poor pitch control.

9. Tzebra

Tzebra Well-Known Member

I have no problems with Hmacks and Tanks, in fact that is what I like to do.
    You have those who like to fly and mix it up, I like to shoot down the fliers, run tanks over there airfields, and generally crush any economy within my tanks range.

I always read someone crying that it is a flight-sim (more like arcade than sim), but it also incorporates some ground elements and these are what I prefer.

You will see me flying on occassion, and for those I have met in the air I do fairly well, but I prefer the ground action.

Hmacks are not there to prevent high alt vulchers hanging around a field waiting for an easy kill. If that were the case then you would see the Hmack modelled more realistically (and more powerfully) into the 4x20mm variant able to reach out and touch you at 4km. Instead it is very limited to D16.5 and no more.

10. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

It depends how you remove that quiet child. Threats of vegetable diet, taking away the game consoles and acting like it's a random decision who goes and who stays, will do the trick.

The room will be silent after that (for about 2.4 seconds)

11. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

ah the experience speaks through this one :)

12. j-bird

j-bird Member

Speaking of cheating...and somebody mentioned it I think. Does'nt the
    host varify the flight model data when you pick a plane ? Since the Front
    End runs locally can people not just hack their own flight models ?
    I was wondering about cockpit views too. Do some people use
    clear cockpits ? Can't the host verify the cockpit file integrity when
    you pick a plane in the tower ? I'd hate to think I'm the only on flying
    around with the Stupid P-47 rear view ! I noticed offline the drones
    jink when you get to convergence range without being able to see
    you. Hey they're drones...you expect it.
    What I was really wondering though was the host/server verification.
    I have'nt seen anybody mention it. Seems like pretty simple coding to
    me. I mean once the program is running it's too late to change the
    data file. Even if it took a few seconds longer it'd be worth it to
    check the values when you chose a plane.

13. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Yes, I read someplace that the admins found out that some players were using clear cockpits and somehow they were banned. Noticing how some players react to some situations, perhaps there are players still using that "cheat".

After reading some articles on online game cheats, if one has the energy and time one can make what is called packet hacking; changing and/or delaying those packets of info. transferred from your computer to the server and from server back to your computer. Getting deep into it you could delay and/or change the damage info. the flight info. leathality etc...
    The easiest one was what I call crowding the info. stream at the "right time" by way of fax machine, or other way of interleaving your game packets with another computer or modem job as to "warp". Lots of players will just say that they have a bad connection and there's nothing they can do...just that they seem to warp just when it's at their advantage and never their opponents.
    There are anti-cheat add-ons the server could subscribe to such as "punk busters" etc.
    I wonder how many "punks" would stop playing then.....

14. Maletin

Maletin Well-Known Member

i attach allways to warping pilots. all of them were not "warping on demand". it was allways a disadvantage for the warper.
    (as admin, i see two pingtimes per second from the warping pilot.)

15. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

For years i've been masturbating myself. And i'll keep on. Am i a robot?

16. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

No, the Hypocrite is me. You're just an attention whore.