Russia-Georgia-Ottesia News Explanations PLEASE?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by looseleaf, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

I surely don't know. But you know that, of all of the ex-Soviet republics, Kazakhstan is sitting the prettiest in terms of world influence. They have a clarity of purpose (politically at the top) and sit on a bunch of oil. Look East over the Tien Shan mountains, and venture a guess as to who wants to befriend President N :)

Most people in the West don't have a clue about Kazakhstan. It's crazy, I don't know if it's because of that moronic British Borat or what, but they have no idea about that country's importance.

Want to go into space? Need oil? Astana.

2. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Ah, yes, Mr. Roberts :) Really, I read him often, BUT his positions are often extreme. I agree with him sometimes, but not always.

I don't know anything, but I don't think the US administration expected Saakashvili to attack. But it's true that I am very naiive ;)

Yes, US military were there to train Georgian troops. Well, officially, it was because they helped us in Iraq. The Georgians thought differently. Well, I think they thought: thank you for the training and weapons, now we can get back those areas of South Ossetia and Abkazia (or however it's spelled, the less talked about Western area I'm sleepy). The Georgians said so themselves to our advisers.

To be honest, I feel bad that the US encouraged Georgia to think that it had the full support of the US. Let's be practical -- did he really think the US would go help him in attacking a region protected by Russia for ~ 17 years??

Yes, I've had a few beers :)

If NATO marches to the borders of Russia, what will Russia think? Well, this is the game of our time. The US will push, push, and push Russia until Russia pushes back.

Russia pushed back a little...I still wonder about why Russia didn't do more in Georgia, but that is another matter. Well. Anyway, so it goes.

3. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

Again, looking through your pink glasses.

Yes, probably the US didnt not expect their new best friends would be so self-minded, but US doesnt do all this training effort in the other countries who send troops to Iraq (for example Bulgaria). There has been exercises to go over to the NATO standards and communication system but no elite troop drills.

If it is training the Georgian army, that is precisely because they are next to all this Russian bases. (Russians evacuated a couple of bases from Georgia just last year). It is used as another show of threat in the geopolitical game (just like the russians put the strategical bombers in the air, for example). Also because they were building the Baku-Tbilisi-Ceyhan line there and some more anti-russian energy projects are coming so they a build a local force to protect it.

On a side note, I recommend seeing some documentaries on the BTC line. There is an american one (with the usual annoyingly patronising attitude) and a very nice czech one, Source.
    Too bad this war eclipsed the bombing by the locals in Turkey. isnt that a bad luck!

You will see how the nice polished words of western companies and governments transfer in terror and abuse on the ground, with the help of local power structures. Typical British-style colonialism is going on there.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2008
  4. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

It would have been really fun if Georgia actually joined NATO this spring. This invasion would have weakened it so much. Can you imagine all the NATO countries just wondering how not to go to war to Russia over that far away country, and yet to keep a clean face of fulfilling the founding commitments!
    Or all the internal bickering that would have come between the anti- and pro-russian countries.
    The first would want to send troops to Ossetia to push back the russians? (imagine that!)
    The second would have had to maintain the whole thing is just a peacekeeping operation, the russians havent actually invaded Georgia.

Today they can safely criticise russians from a distance, then they would have had to make decisions for action. :dura:

Your president almost put his friends in another shit-bath.

PS: I should admit Medvedev finally did a wrong move with hasting with the recognition of the separatists. One, for the same reason I oppose Kosovo independence, and two - now western verbal attacks really gain ground.
    The Duma already expressed well enough where Russia's attitudes lie the day before. He have better said 'today i am not signing the edict, out of respect for the international order, etc. we will negotiations with the georgians'.
    Then wait a couple of years, keep the negotiations for the final status trickling. (another bargaining chip for russian geopolitics). Firmly keep the troops on the ground, but have the 'international community' be involved in resolving the issue and so on. After a few years of this in the media space...

They still have to learn from the Americans how to do these things.

5. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

hush ;)

6. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

Regreattably we cannot negotiate shit with Georgia, while Saakashvili is in charge.
    We tried before, many times.

That man proved himself as being dedicated liar even before the war.

7. PG monster

PG monster FH Consultant

It's impossible to be even closer to USA for the next US marionnetes:
    UK
    Polska
    Baltics
    Ukraine (sadly)
    Georgia
    [i mean the presidents, not the people]

They ALWAYS bark when uncle Sam command to bark.

China - you kidding me. China got good profit from that Saakasvili avanture and Putin long-awaited revenge.

8. PG monster

PG monster FH Consultant

I think he did that because Bush acked him to don't :)

:) yes we will!

9. PG monster

PG monster FH Consultant

The International Herald Tribune "Saakashvili's folly"
    http://www.iht.com/bin/printfriendly.php?id=15715403

Poland and the Czech Republic had thought it prudent to humor the obsession of Washington and its arms manufacturers with building a missile-defense system against Iran's committing suicide. Now they find that Russia is furious about something they had taken on faith from the U.S., but turns out to have been, to Washington politicians, a voter-pleasing and money-making boondoggle.

10. DZIVDZAN

DZIVDZAN Well-Known Member

Hmmm I don't remember a green light from UN (in 1999) to bomb Serbia and in that time Kosovo was a sovereign part of Serbia. That didn't stop west countries to recognize self proclamation of Kosovo independence. Why don't all west countries which recognized Kosovo independence eat their shits and recognize this 2 new born countries???????? :zachot:

11. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Prolly 'cause right now 95% of the population of these 2 new born countries are russian soldiers :D

12. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

And why don't Russia recognize Kosovo?

:)

13. tazman88

tazman88 Well-Known Member

obviously thats the fall out of the cold war. Russia now says they are not afraid of another cold war with United States. This is not looking good because lets face it. NOBODY wants another cold war.

14. DZIVDZAN

DZIVDZAN Well-Known Member

The right question is why west countries don't recognize this 2 new born countries as they recognized Kosovo? :)
    IMO after Kosovo every new born country has same right and should be recognized

15. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Well, Georgian troops didn't get so much training, because the Georgians mostly ran away when counter-attacked (it was a good thing for the Georgian soldiers, but bad for Saakashvili). Russian troops were saying that we, the USA, taught the Georgians how to run ;) Damn it, lol, I am having deja vu.

Of course. But -- remember that both the USA LEFT and RIGHT seek to gain influence in the area. Both USA left and right theoretically try to sell "democracy" to Georgia. It's like two salesmen competing ;) Both of those groups supply advice, money, etc. One group is Democrat, one is Republican. Both are exploiting the people there.

I will go read my Lermontov.

Grobar, I'm sorry if I sounded angry in some posts. It's not against you.

16. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

It's a good question. Terrible. Answer is politics, of course. Mnogo (mnogie? -- ia zhe pian' ;)) v Vashingtone vsegda protiv rossii. No kone4no, mnogo v Moskve vsegda protiv Amerikosov. Vot eto problema :)

17. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Is there a right question?

The fact is that Russia hasn't recognized Kosovo. Yet they have done so to Abhasia and South Ossetia. West has done the exact opposite.

Kosovo was first.

IMO all this international politics is simply bullshit.

18. --newb

--newb Well-Known Member

wow, dude! your russian is even better than mine :) (btw, 2nd variant is the correct one)

19. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Last edited: Sep 6, 2008
  20. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

I'm sure this has to do with oil again. Maybe some pipeline problems?

It seems those armchair warriors in the US are still ready to play geopolitk dominoes even after the Cold War.

I guess they (the military industrial complex) are not making enough war profits now.

As gawong would say: "BASTARDS"!!!!!