Sandomierz, 13 August 1944. Tiger II vs IS-2 (scenario lite test)

Discussion in 'TabaHost General Discussion' started by ppedott_vibora, Nov 8, 2004.

1. ppedott_vibora

ppedott_vibora Well-Known Member

Sandomierz, 13 August 1944. Tiger II vs IS-2

Following their destruction of Army Group Centre in the summer of 1944, the Red Army launched a massive offensive across the Ukraine and into Eastern Poland against Army Group North Ukraine. It culminated in the seizure of bridgeheads on the western bank of the Vistula River (F13), notably in the region of Sandomierz. Despite their losses, the German forces were still full of fight and threw whatever units they could muster against the Soviet enclaves.

One of these units was 501st Heavy Tank Battalion, newly equipped with Tiger IIs and under the command of Major von Legat. In common with most of the German heavy tank units in the latter part of the war, the 501st was fated to become a ?fire brigade? force, transferred from place to place as the situation demanded and denied the time to build up an operational relationship with the units it supported.

In the vicinity of Staszow (F14), at the southwestern extremity of the Sandomierz bridgehead, the Soviet 6th Guards Tank Corps was in the van of the Russian advance; the village of Ogledow its latest conquest. However, resistance had hardened and reconnaissance led Corps HQ to order its tank units to pull back and establish defensive positions west of Staszow. The 53rd and 52nd Tank Brigades (F12) were in the likely path of a German attack and attempted to dig their surviving T-34s into the soft, sandy soil, or camouflage them amongst haystacks.

Facing the Russians was 16th Panzer Division, which launched probing attacks across the sandy fields (F11) but achieved little success. Although their numbers were depleted and about half their T-34s were only armed with the 76.2mm gun, 6th Tank Corps was effectively supported by assault guns and artillery and the Germans soon realized that something more substantial would be needed to pierce the Soviet lines.

This is an amalgam of the three days of confused fighting that took place between 11th and 13th August east of Staszow. The game pits a German armoured force made up of units of 16th Panzer Division and part of 501st Heavy Tank Battalion against the tanks and (Katyushas) guns of 6th Guards Tanks Corps, supported by elements of 71st Independent Guards Heavy Tank Battalion and 97th Guard's Rifle Division.

11 (12) IS-2s from the 71st Independent Heavy Tank Regiment were attacked by 14 (15) Tiger IIs from the Schwere Heeres Panzer Abteilung 501. They were engaged at a range of about 600m. Four Tiger IIs were destroyed and 7 damaged against three IS-2s destroyed and 7 damaged.

Lets see if LW or VVS can change the history...

November, 12, 24:00 Brazil time (GMT -3)
    (if you suggest a better time slot, plz post your toughts!)

Rus planes:
    total (field-field) type
    24 (12-12) IL2-M3
    6 (3-3)Li2
    12 (6-6) Pe2

Ger planes:
    total (field-field) type
    24 (12-12) Ju87-G2
    6 (3-3)Ju52-3m
    12 (6-6) Ju88A4

One -DEUS- each side

Victory conditions:

for both sides:
    One medium field captured + enemy army desabilited

Suggestions welcome (as usual) :)

fonts:
    http://members.tripod.com/~marcin_w/index-3.html
    http://www.wargamesjournal.com/wwii/king_tigers.asp
    http://www.forum.fun-online.sk/viewtopic.php?t=1159&sid=3df7403d247788ae40524bf067734aa4

2. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

do tanks shoot at each other?

3. laxtsc

laxtsc Well-Known Member

LOL, man, I live 50km from Sandomierz ;)

Time -3 GMT :/ hmmm, it's 4 A.M. in Poland. I need to be real tough to play scenario :)

What with ping ??? When connection can be better? I know many people testing Tabahost and got ~500ms. I have 500 minumum, sometimes 1000.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2004
  4. ppedott_vibora

Today is 09... we got 3 days... hope franz- do this!!! :D

Cool! do you have pics? :)

Im open to set another time slot, if you suggest... :)

Putz... Man, thats I cant fix by now... Better I can do is close web server, FTP server and forbid Juju (the owner of PC) to acess barbie's site.. :D
    But I really believe thats worth, becouse will be very few air batlles, mostly bombing and ground attack...

5. laxtsc

laxtsc Well-Known Member

http://www.sandomierz.pl/

Fotos = Galeria (pl) there You can look postcards and other pics.

Did time at server is equal to Brassilian time ? For example night at Brassilia = night at Warbirds ? I can only play 2D (on 3D few FPS) and there is dark as in ass...

6. ppedott_vibora

tnkx for the link! will use if necessary! :)

no, the time at TabajaraHost is 4-6 times faster than real time, also the "day" at TabaHost has 14 hours, starting 5am and finishing at 7pm (night at 5-6am and 6-7pm) we can handle this changing the time, setting only dawn and sunset... "overlapping" the night... :) for example: a day from 5:45am to 6:30pm

7. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

Only you vibora to put me at wall... :p don't awarn me and give me 3 days to do this :D. Well, today is 11/10, I'll do my best to add this feature until 11/12 :)

:cheers:

PS.: tanks don't look if their target has a friend near (for now)... so we can get some tanks' teamkills :)

PS².: BTW, fixed contrails on wingmen.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2004
  8. Pikaxu

Pikaxu Well-Known Member

VF-1 Squad comes in this Scenario Lite!!

Friday 23:30 GMT-3

9. ppedott_vibora

pra que que são os amigos???
    hehehe :D

10. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

Done, enemy tanks shoot each other now :) cool feature... tanks need to get 3 shots from enemy tank to get killed. Sometimes you cannot see the bomb being shot (only the blow effect) since I dont have all scenario terrain levels...

[]'s
    franz-

11. ppedott_vibora

That's THE guy!
    WTG and thanks!
    :D

12. laxtsc

laxtsc Well-Known Member

So finally is it on Thursday or Friday ? Wake up at 4 o'clock with no reason is not good ;)

I would like it on Friday (but that's only test :)), i have to wake up early at Friday, so sitting half night at scenario could really kick my ass.

13. ppedott_vibora

Friday to saturday here... starting from 23:55 (Brasil time) friday to... who knows... :)

BTW what you think if we set another edition of this little scenario, in a time slot more suitable to our European friends, lets say, saturday 18:00 GMT time (15:00 here...)

14. hilmar

hilmar Well-Known Member

Well, I don`t know about the guys from Europa, but for me it would be nice! :)

15. ppedott_vibora

:)

Thats cool, one interested!! :D

I will not be at home saturday, due a family holliday, but the server will be online and franz- (if he can/wich) and the OP's (if they can/wich) could launch the tanks in order to test it...

Please note that is a test of the new server, and one of the goals is identify bugs and fails, so, some times (more than we wich) the server get down, but it is a matter of seconds, becouse me or franz- (mostly franz-) get it up really fast, and the only inconvinience is relog... but unfortunelly its necessary in order to debug the program... asap we intend to create "scenarios lite" using another maps, in order to have more and more ppl online to check how much stable the program is...

If some one has ideas about it, plz post! all ideas are welcome! :)

Mine:

Midway;
    Tobruk-El Alamein;
    Malta;

16. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

can you post the rearranged date again, in gmt?
    because i think i'm too late for "13 August 1944". :shuffle:

17. ppedott_vibora

Sure! :)
    Tiger II x IS2 scenario test lite:

FIRST EDITION:
    Starts
    Friday 12/11/2004 23:55h ( BRASIL TIME > GMT -3 )
    Saturday 13/11/2004 02:55h ( GMT )

SECOND EDITION*
    Starts
    Saturday 13/11/2004 15:00h ( BRASIL TIME > GMT -3 )
    Saturday 13/11/2004 18:00h ( GMT)

* conditioned to a presence of franz- or one (or more) Op's...

18. Sonic

Sonic Well-Known Member

Não esquece do horário de verão...

Pena, não vou poder participar, estou indo viajar...

Abraços e bons vôos!

19. Franz-

Franz- FH Beta Tester

I'll try to be present in both times, no promises :)

20. Marins

Marins Well-Known Member

Vibora, -exec- and All:

NOTICE

Some cities here in Brazil are in Summer Time! So, pay attention to GMT time zone!!

When Vobora says 23:55h (GMT -3) he wants to say 23:55h (GMT-2).

Right? ;-)

BTW, chk this site. Sure it helps to arrange a meeting and solve GMT issues easily.
    http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/meeting.html

elso out