Self-killing getting back in fashion?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Red Ant, Feb 17, 2011.

1. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I haven't seen much sell-killing lately. For a while I was thinking this particular disease might be nearing extinction ... until about a week ago. Since then I've witnessed multiple cases of blatant self-killing, with the perpetrators trying to justify the deed with statements such as "With the plane you're flying, you deserve no kill." or "Sorry, I didn't like the odds ... 3-to-1, no kill for you."

LAME, guys, really LAME. There is no excuse for self-killing. :help:

2. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

I agree, it is pretty lame.

I think I asked for a fix on this issue in the 1.68 wish list topic.

Some ideas to fix this:

1. Cause the bomb release function to be disabled. Bombs cannot be dropped after the plane loses a wing or other primary wing surface like vstab/hstab and then spirals. Kind of like a jammed gun. Press "B" would give a message: "Bomb release jammed"

or

2. Cause self killing of bomb drop to kill oneself but also give the kill reward to the shooter with the most hits.

Think about it, did they bomb themselves during WWII thinking it would deny a kill for the attacker? :@drunk:

Also a thought here about bombers damage model zones....LINK

3. FranzAugust

FranzAugust Well-Known Member

"Sorry, I don't give kill to P38 pilot flying over 20000ft."

4. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Lame????

It's FAR from lame. It's cowardice. It's poor sportsmanship. It's childish.

It's a form of cheating. It's a testament to self-loathing and neurosis.

It's a pathetic display of wanting to be superior and exempting one's self from having to play by the rules.

There should be some mechanism that can counter this act.

Self kill, the opponent should get credit.

5. looseleaf

Sorry one does not "give" kills.

Kills are taken.

:zzz:

6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

When The Hotshots [you know who you are] are in TA and I am tiring of being bested again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again and again:
    I hop in a fresh plane and dive it straight down, whether I am being tailed or not, just straight down, POW into the dirt. And then I spawn again and dive it into the dirt and then I spawn again and dive it into the dirt and then I spawn again and dive it into the dirt and then I spawn again and dive it into the dirt and then I spawn again and dive it into the dirt and then I spawn again and dive it into the dirt and then I spawn again and dive it into the dirt and then I spawn again and dive it into the dirt and then I spawn again and dive it into the dirt and then I spawn again and dive it into the dirt.

HAHAHA. mind you, that is the TA.... I can do whatever I want there....

7. FranzAugust

FranzAugust Well-Known Member

Sorry, I'm not native speaker of your shit language.

8. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

Sounds like Redant was flying against the ghosts.

Kidding....a couple months ago, they seemed to reduce self-killing but not sure about now if it has returned....can't comment on that but it I haven't seen ghosts doing it unless you count buzbat who just can't seem to land any mission that isn't a li2 mission.

I did see biber going after a cv who bailed after bombs dropped as I closed in and, on the next mission, killed the cv and quickly ditched...with zero damage.

I saved that track because it was a rare tempest mission in which I used 100% fuel to fly from f4 to near f25, kill a cv there , defend our cv twice (from biber) and then fly from f25 to f7 and kill an attacker there before landing.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2011
  9. looseleaf

Nor am I of your shit language.

:rolleyes:

10. looseleaf

Just play your game and have fun. That's what it's all about.

11. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

But, then again, the saying goes...."If you don't first succeed, try again" My own self advice has been....if it didn't work after 20 times, it's time to change the approach.

12. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.
    Albert Einstein

Hey, I have fun and use my own rules so I can attain a predictable and reliable result. Have you ever played a grandmaster at chess? I used to have a landlord who was a russian, a capitalist pig who fled to here to make his fortune...
    He did make money, he played chess games in lumber camps and he climbed trees, he made spars, one of the most dangerous [and well paying] forestry jobs a guy can have, in BC.
    ANyway, he played for money. He made you pay if you wanted to learn from him, and your mistakes.
    He told me he had never lost a chess game since he came to canada.
    I played him once, becuase he liked me and I was broke.
    He beat me in the opening moves.
    I wasn't a bad player.
    Why should I do the same thing again and again and expect different results?
    :joystick:

[I am not agreeing with self killing! I am not atruing it is.
    If someone has shot me up and it is time for me to go down, I will let him have his victory and I will hope he uses all his ammo chacing my boney carcass down]

13. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

Someone sure did use all his ammo chasing my wingless bomber down for only my third bomber loss last TOD (I was "lagger" because I had lag issues).

I guess he expected me to drop a bomb and selfkill.

I'll remember to ride the plane most of the way down from now on to pull my buff killing nemesis down in altitude and ammo so I can then up a fast fighter and wait at his destination for him to try to land that sortie.

I'll stay "higgns" this TOD

Last edited: Feb 20, 2011
  14. looseleaf

WAR IS HELL, isn't it?
    :D

15. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

lolol

16. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Self-killers are really the women on the internet. They usually play nice and let you earn your kill, but every once in awhile, the psycho bitch comes to play and if you knock a wing off fair and square when they wanted to fly and kill everything and land like nothing happened, they self-kill and give a big FU on ch 100. Then, others, either bored, frustrated, or made just as stupid by having so many kills denied, start doing it, and the whole "period synchronization" thing happens.

17. looseleaf

Yes, hens in the hen house once a month.....

RTC - TTC !!!!!!!

:super:

18. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

Yes, ghosts are still selfkilling, fuska still shoots white planes, and mcloud is still an ack hugging wuss who has zero acm skill.

This might explain why nobody wants to fly and the arena sits empty.

19. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Sorry bud, but you need to think outside the box for a moment.

1. WBFH isn't a kick butt eye-candy game.
    Realize there are much better WWII sims out there (playable easy, pimped out graphics on aircraft and terrain, lively destruction effects, etc).

2. This simulator isn't the most user friendly.
    You have to go and search for files yourself and manually install them. Issues with Win7 show up and people don't even try asking for help. Why? Because it's complicated. And people want to download, install, play.

3.The fact that it's free and people still don't fill the arena is partly to blame for the above reasons. I'm in the TA regularly sitting in WBChat waiting for people to log on. Many times I have people log on and fly for a bit and then log off. Sometimes a couple people show up and then more show up. Doing this has kept me from getting my favorite aircraft cockpit finished too. I found out on my own after weeks of doing this that many people told me they load up the launcher, see 0 in both arenas and log off without even logging into the arena to wait for others to show up. I used to do that too.

See below....doesn't look very appealing does it. Not for me anyway. Takes two to tangle.

[​IMG]

Right now, while I'm typing this I'm logged into WBChat. If I'm not flying, I'm at least chatting or can chat with somebody. I do that quite a bit. Some people come back regularly knowing I'll be there. Last night I flew for about 2 hours I think, shooting down a new guy who's been on here for about a week. At least that's what he said.
    Here's some good etiquette I observed in order to keep him from quitting/leaving out of frustration since he was obviously a new guy but, with some obvious ability and talent. I continually shot him down over and over but, I let him get me a few times as well. I didn't chase him down and shoot him as he ditched. I didn't extend out for miles and come back to rope him way over his head. I didn't hang around the spawn area to pick him off. I didn't shoot at him when he stalled and spun out into the dirt. I didn't shoot at his plane when he started falling after losing a control surface. Why did I do this? Because that's how I was trained and that's how I expect to be treated as a new guy. Especially after getting WBFH working.

We the veterans, seasoned folks need to make room for the new guys and switch our focus on keeping the new guys rather than complaining about the little stuff. Remember, we were all dweebs at one time. :deal: I know how frustrating it can be. Fly with a joystick? Try flying with a mouse. That's what it's like to be a newbie. Some guys fly with a mouse all the time and to really well! I have several joysticks here I'll mail to somebody wanting to start up to keep them here for a while.

I have more to write but, somebody logged into the arena....write more later...

20. looseleaf

HEY !!!!! I still AM !!!!!!

:D

You made some very good points. This is a very special place.

We can't go on killing all the pledges to this game.

I think a lot of new people come here and leave in disgust.

Another point is that what is really necessary here is a "one stop shopping" version of this game.

With Vista and Win7 and even Linux/ OS-X etc, there needs to be a new installer done for the not-expert, nearly not expert.

You can't get new people if new people can't install the game!

I confess that I just plain gave-up. I tried the patches etc. never worked other that getting the first hangar view and never got the keyboard to input.

So I ran around to some old laptops one with XP and another with 98SE and the graphic cards were so old, no 3D and no upgrades, no drivers, nothing.

Until I chance upon an old computer with an advanced graphics card, I'm out.

Then considering all the complications of my real world, it's going to be a very low priority searching for an old computer anyway.

For the "free time" I have available, I might as well play solitaire or Halo....

ha ha ha.....

it's sad..... :@drunk: