separate arena countries?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -exec-, Oct 13, 2008.

?

separate arena countries?

1. yes

64.5%
  2. yes, but other way, explained...

12.9%
  3. no, but current RPS must be changed. explained...

9.7%
  4. no, current MA RPS must not be changed

6.5%
  5. exec is a woodpecker

6.5%
  1. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Good point.:D

Maybe FH could insert the website into more search engines and do some online advertising about FREE online WW2 flight sim gaming?????

Maybe there will be a Vista and Linux version available some time?

:shuffle:

2. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

Why only Zeke? Why not Ki84 or fixed (i hope :D) J2M? ;)

3. demian

demian Well-Known Member

I was just on russian part of forum where Bimbom suggested
    "great idea" for russian vs german war...
    Using land -lease program!!!
    WTF!
    ON russian side p40s, p39s, spits, even 47 he wants...WTF?
    Why changing anything then?
    As for ki84 and j2m, sonar said it nicely, whole war americans are faster.
    And ki84 is not so uber as dweebs think plus j2m for sure wont be like this.
    My point is , no one of u who wanted split-system in the first place,
    will fly japs.
    Nor buffs.
    U all will fly 51 and f4us, and u will come to forum again whining about roster.
    I will remind u when it comes to that..

4. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

In the end, what it comes down to is that restricting the plane types people can fly like that merely serves to limit variety and create further imbalances. Let's not kid ourselves, Warbirds isn't going to be more realistic just because 50% of the plane types aren't flyable in each TOD.
    I know we like to think of ourselves as "simmers" and not "gamers" but at the core, Warbirds, Aces High, Il-2 and what have you are basically all at least 50% arcade rather than actual simulations. If they were real sims, we wouldn't have fields within light artillery range of each other, nor would the standard means of capturing fields consist of bombing the snot out of them and then dropping a hand full of paratroopers on them. We wouldn't have CV groups magically spawn practically on top of an enemy field and then drive around seemingly aimlessly only to get sunk by a couple of strategic bombers flying at 15 kft. If this were a sim, Ju-52s and Li-2s wouldn't be taking off from carrier decks to drop troopers on nearby fields at 300 feet.

Now please don't get me wrong, I'm not criticizing Warbirds, I'm just pointing out that with all these wild inaccuracies, why would we insist on limiting player choice so drastically for the sake of 'realism'? Personally I find the notion of going an entire TOD without any of the planes I like so much totally boring. I think I'd rather sit out a TOD than fly some plane that I don't care about at all. On the other hand, I can hardly imagine why anyone would find the idea of continuously facing nothing but Spits and Hurris (or La's and Yak's ... whatever) particularly inviting. In this game, as in every walk of life, variety is the spice of life, and reducing this variety in such an absurd way is a HUGE turnoff to me.

5. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

Separate arena is cool as long as you don't get a blank plane list when selecting to fly from a carrier.

6. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

antred nailed it on the head imho

7. looseleaf

Absolutely agree.

That's the real problem here; where to find that balance of gaming/sim/arcade online fun?

Too real and it's too much like work. Too arcade and it's just like a portable gameboy.

Some people here cannot play online for several hours at a stretch to join some group in strategizing and planning a raid.

Some people here just want to fly around and blow things up or shoot things down for a while in between events in their real world lives.

Some want to join-in on team events.

Some people here want to experience some historical simulation of what they read about and were told by generations passed, so it bothers them to be "flying" a spit and getting shot down by a zeke or a F4u shooting down a 190 or an F4U getting shot down by a 109 that took-off from a CV.

Some would like to test their online skills under equal conditions.

Can WBFH do all of that? Are there enough players to justify all that work?

What do the devs and admins want? What are their goals and ambitions/ Where do they want to go with their invention?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  8. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

i would say it's pointless to beat a dead horse...

but looseleaf has probably actually done that IRL

just like he's probably gotten blood from a turnip

seriously, looseleaf's a scary guy

9. FranzAugust

FranzAugust Well-Known Member

10. tazman88

tazman88 Well-Known Member

I also think japan v china should also be added. For this tour of duty two planes should be added: Curtiss CW-21 Demon, and the P-43 lancer

11. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

oh, God...

12. demian

demian Well-Known Member

I agree with Ant 100%...
    Thing with Fh is , there are some ppl who think their way of playing is the only one.Personally i dont like bringing in some factors ( as i always have to do(),
    but sometimes looks like some ppl can fit in specific pattern of behaviour..
    For example, i talked to many ppl about the matter, and many of them
    born in east Europe, wants to have "eastern front". They simply dont care
    for playability as long as they can have here what they think it looked like
    near Stalingrad, caucasus or whatever..German-Russian war is only they want to know. Using land-lease program for them is not wrong, its part of history so why not?
    Now, i dont say they r the only ppl obsessed with certain aspect or time/place
    in ww2, but problem is, this is ( part that i hate to involve) Russian game.
    And, they r strongly motivated to re-make eastern front.
    Not only to re-make , but to win everytime as well.
    Dont get me wrong guys, i was never someone who is obsessed with trivial tradition, but while i was taught 1 thing about ww2, russians were taught
    different aspect of history, or should i say freely, something that it was not quite true.
    Simply, russian natives in here, are mostly having real emotional satisfaction
    when they fly yaks, las, or when kill 190s. some of them never fly gold, some do, but almost all of them have some sort of emotional reaction when it comes to ww2 and warbirds. I am not saying here that i dont understand that, but i do not approve it.
    On the other hand, there are "simmers" like Antred, (or many other guys),
    who have some specific desire in this game, and always try to achieve something.He likes p38, he is interested in flying it, every sortie, and he is here coz of that. Some other ppl like to fly other specific planes, some like to
    fly only buffs, etc etc. There is a big difference between their attitude and the attitude of russian players in here.(some in particular not all)
    I hope Antred will forgive me for taking him as an example, but he just perfectly fits my point. He is German. Can u imagine Antred only in gold planes? Flying 190, 109s , wanting russian-german war, trying to express
    repressed emotions about ww2? I cant imagine that, and that is exactly my point, he is player who doesnt feel something to prove, or has some kind of burden to carry out.He is here to fly his plane, and he is lucky enough coz he found his plane, the only plane that works for him. I was always jealous when i see Ant, because i never had that 1 plane which i would always come to .
    and i always felt the need for that 1 plane, for that happines when playing.
    So, when i think about fh , i think that the only thing that kept me flying in here was variety of planes to choose at specific point of time.
    There was always plane that i could die easy in, something new to learn, to test, to try, and that was what i wanted in here. Time to put my mind into something, to try new things. U will all agree with me that relaxing is why we keep coming here... though sometimes we all have hard times especially on fh, but core of the gaming is relaxing..
    How will i relax with only spits around, or yaks or whatever?
    What will i learn with these short tods and limited rps ?
    I come one day i fly 109g2, tomorrow or day after, i must fly g6 without
    chance to understand specific character of 109g2.
    This is why i say some ppl are obsessed with real war and they have put too much of emotions in it. Those emotions are factor which is ruining fh.
    why is not enough to have map with all planes available, but it must be specific map that looks like pacific or eastern front, with specific planes that are mostly russians or americans or whatever? when game itself is not so realistic? I had to hate new rps coz i couldnt enjoy in meeting antred at 5km ,
    simply date of 38 was moved, and antred comes in late 42 or so.
    Many of the ppl i liked to fight with , or to fly with, dont fly anymore, many of them will not fly anymore, and that is price i have to pay because there are some guys who are crazy enough to want new ideas in old game with so many bugs.And i have big problem because somehow happened that those ppl who like different things than me, do not care for other styles of playing the game.
    Now i have to find bunch of ppl like Turks , many of them, vote no for new ideas, and what could happen then? Nothing will happen. Because it looks that whatever I or some minority of ppl do, its not important, will be always what admins want. For some reason it is enough when 1 russian come and ask to change map, but when 10 of us do, nothing changes. Does any of admins care that there is no not even 1 Turksih vote on poll, and Turks were majority in arena?
    Instead we have in poll 70% of ppl who didnt fly a single sortie in last 3 months. And what, this poll is regular? Now admins will push new arena settings, and they will have ros 5:1 but who cares? As long as we have
    german-russian war with americans exceptions ...:rtfm:
    The only thing that i can imagine worse is having all those spit pilots deciding
    what planes should be in rps and which not..

13. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

A few corrections. I don't really think of myself as a simmer ... real sims are too much work for me (that's why I gave up Falcon 4.0).
    Also, I do enjoy flying a number of planes beside the P-38, most notably the 190, the P-51 and sometimes, but just sometimes, the Zero. :)

Anyhow, it looks like the poll is not going in our favor :( ... ah well, gotta roll with it.

14. looseleaf

Well Demi;

You can always go to Aces High and fly almost any plane any time.

I found it disturbing to see a Mossie and a Zeke and a 190 all flying on the same side but it was fun.:)

15. deadmeat

deadmeat Banned

Exactly. And I guess one of the best features of this game is the large variety of planes we can fly in here. Or at least it was the other feature bringing me around besides free online playing. Dont lock away this large amount of features now once we have them I say. Those planes you guys worked on, well I think you have worked on them to make them fly, not to keep them locked for several weeks at a time. As red for example my all-time fav single engine fighters are the Yaks and Las, would be quite disappointing not to have them for an entire tod, then having all the others flying the same machine. Okay I'm dumb, I'm that kinda fools who likes to differ every time :) But the first reason is not only my problem imo. When I get killed in the Mossie several times and I get pissed I jump into a Yak or a La to take revenge now would be real bad flying those dweeb planes most of their drivers dont even know what it is they only fly them for the easy kill - Spit, the aircraft currently having the biggest punch like Beau, Tiffie etc...I swear those not-to-call-them-on-their-name large squad dweebs dont even know what is a Beaufighter lol...gamers :ass: now back on the subject we're here for: it's even fun imo to match for example the Hellcat on the 109, it's a great feature of this game I guess. These battles could have never been fought and now we can make it. Dont take this (too) away from us.
    Having some new features aint no bad idea tho. Even splitting the two sides - but I say let's split them to the 4 already existing colors we have AT THE SAME TOD. Let's make a real raging battle between UK-US - Germany - Russia - Japan. That would be fun I say. Three possible enemy group in the air at one time...boyyyy that be the spirit! ;) This would do a lot of new fun to the game.
    OR the other thing is, what I had read in here before a few years back: give all the planes to both sides, as in TA.
    Both thing could be on trial for 1-2 tods, then if the players dont like it, we still can switch back to the old settings. That is my idea.

16. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

dont try to make this into AH...

17. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

This won't become Aces High, because they charge you money to play. :p

I think we should try this idea of making theater battles out. Imagine flying a tour without a bunch of dweebs. No Hispano miracles, no Mk 108 dream shots, and at least one tour without the i153/a6m/ki27/(insert type of wretched aircraft here). Besides, this will help develop a better corps of pilots. It will force the community to learn how to fly other aircraft, and the range of tactics will hopefully increase from the HO, dodge, HO, dodge HO, dodge, HO, zzzZZZzzzZZZzzzZZZ, wake up and pk the gold doing that because it wasted so much time. TGR might actually have to use a real gun! Who knew that could happen?