Something fun in Amsterdam?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by graatz, Apr 4, 2006.

1. graatz

graatz Well-Known Member

I am going to Amsterdam for couple of days this week, do you people know of anything worth seeing there that the tour guides dont usually speak of?

2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

bitches

3. graatz

graatz Well-Known Member

In amsterdam EVERY tour guide will tell you about the bitches ;-)

4. SiD

SiD Well-Known Member

Floral exhibition - if someone like it :) . i'm not sure is it still available.
    museum Van Gogh'a
    NEMO - Museum of technique - you can touch everything. Very nice, and much fun :)
    Museum of beer - old Amstel brewery
    Tram around Amsterdam. From Central Station. Take about hour, but it's nice trip.
    Museum of Sex - it is not worth to visit.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2006
  5. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Things to do in Amsterdam:

- The Hash and Weed museum
    - The Sex Museum
    - Coffeeshop "The Bulldog" on the Leidseplein
    - If the weather is good: go to the "Vondelpark" and watch the women... ehhh, PEOPLE.
    - Madame Tussaud's museum of wax figures. Including madonna, michael jackson, etc.

Also, think about taking trips to other cities. Den Haag isn't really interesting, but Delft is great fun, as are Leiden and Alkmaar.

Another option is holland's second largest city: Rotterdam. It's is only 70 km's (3/4 hours by train, 25 euros for a return-trip) away and a great city..... for one day :) . The largest port in the world, famous for its architecture and museums. If you plan on going to Rotterdam, call me and we'll have a beer! :) phone-no. = 06-50513118

6. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Are you joking or do they really have a weed museum??

7. muf-lo

muf-lo Well-Known Member

Belgium. I's almost there and has better beer... :D

8. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Get heavily drunk at the airport, and under no circumstances leave it. You'd be better of there...

Otherwise you might end up being broke, raped and beaten (and not necessarily in that order....)

Hi sebbo! Having tourist problem? I'll help!

9. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Put a Canadian flag on your backpack. Free beer.

10. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

If you look for good beer, come to Spain :D

11. graatz

graatz Well-Known Member

Seb I dont think other cities option is available, this is a business trip. Free evenings is most i can expect. But i'll have your telephone number noted down, just in case :)

Beer. Better beer.
    Free beer.
    Spanish beer.
    Weed and Hash Museum.

Should be nice around there :)

12. muf-lo

muf-lo Well-Known Member

If you see that, kill me! :D

13. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

*grabbing gun*

just for pleasure

:D:D

14. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

No, I am NOT kidding.... :) In fact, you can buy seeds and stuff there as well. It's part of the largest cannabis seed-bank in the world, Sensi Seeds..... :)

15. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

Not any more, I'm afraid.... Most Dutch people forgot about WWII altogether. Too bad :(

16. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

I visited Amsterdam, landed at Schiphol International Airport, then to Amsterdam CentrAAL trainstation.

Things to do in Amsterdam: walk out of Amsterdam central trainstation, then in 1 minute you will see a boat tour of the the city canals. It's interesting, the inner cannals are the oldest, as you go out further the city gets newer, so canals are newer. Same story in Rotterdam i think.

Go to red light district and laugh at the hookers in the windows. TE HUUR means "for rent" in dutch, lol. In Canada TE HUUR sounds like "THE WHORE" lol

Heinekin brewery - don't bother.

Van Gogh museum was good.

North Americans always like to visit castles when we visit Europe, In Canada you can't find anything older than 200 years except some buildings in Montreal.

Walk around Amsterdam city is the best. Do not buy any Marijuana seeds from stores with VISA it's 100% rip off they bill you 1000 american dollars. It's bullshit.

Also only eat fresh food, no cheap stuff. Careful which restaurants you pick.

Eat a herring in 1 swallow. Eat some licorice candy. Dutch women are amazing, watch out for hookers, they act the same as nice girls, and nice girls the same as hookers. Btw dutch girls will fart when you fuck them. It's a cultural problem, lol you have to say beforehand you don't like this.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  17. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Not fun but interesting.....

I told a lot of people I was Canadian, Dutch Don't seem to care, even though it was the Canadian Army that actually liberated this country, historical fact. I think older generations remember this, younger generations don't remember the war..

Adegem Canadian War Cemetery is in the northwest corner of Belgium, not far from the Dutch frontier. It contains the graves of 848 Canadians, most of whom lost their lives during the bitter struggle to clear the south bank of the Scheldt River.

Bergen-op-Zoom Canadian War Cemetery is located in southwest Holland. It contains the graves of 968 Canadians, most of whom fell fighting to open the sea approaches to Antwerp and make that port available to Allied shipping.

Groesbeek Canadian War Cemetery is situated close to the eastern Dutch city of Nijmegen. More than 2,300 Canadians are buried there. The Groesbeek Memorial at the entrance to the cemetery contains the names of another 103 Canadians who have no known graves.

Holten Canadian War Cemetery is just north of the city of Holten in the northeast Netherlands. The 1,355 Canadians who are buried there nearly all died during the last stages of the war in the Netherlands and during the advance of the 2nd Canadian Corps into Germany.

The Reichswald Forest War Cemetery and the Rheinberg War Cemetery are both located in Germany just east of the Dutch border. In the Reichswald Forest War Cemetery there are 706 RCAF headstones and one for a Canadian soldier. The Rheinberg War Cemetery has 516 headstones for Canadian airmen.

Many other cemeteries for dead Canadians All over Holland....

Last edited: Apr 8, 2006
  18. graatz

graatz Well-Known Member

It was fun. Really.

The things-to-see are great, but what struck me more was the unique atmosphere of the city. Fresh, loose, free and open, everyone is friendly, everyone is willing to help. If someone sees you watching your map he just asks where you wanted to go. No horn-lynches in traffic, everybody is happy.

An occasional puff of weed smoke you smell in the street also adds to the image of the place :)

And the other thing - the bikes. Every time you sit on your bicycle you become a member of the untouchable cycle mafia: from now on you enter god-mode. Car drivers cherish the cyclists like own children, tram drivers probably do as well, and the cyclists themselves dont give a damn about anything. For them both green and red light is good to ride onto the crossroads. No giving right of the way, no one-way sreets. And the car drivers dont utter a single word of complaint - the bikes are sacred, end of discussion. I wish it was the same way in poland, for in here riding a bicycle is kinda like playing rusian roulette.

And english - everybody speaks it. Apart from one lady from the shell petrol station on the way to schiphol, every single person i met spoke really good english.

Ah, and i saw Zembla street ;) It was more like Uitzemblastraat in form, but anyway.

Sebbo, the closest to rotterdam i got was the schiphol airport, so unfortunately no beer. Maybe next time :cheers:

wtg amsterdam

19. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

how were the toilets?
    i love defecating & dont want to go anywhere with bad toilets.

20. graatz

graatz Well-Known Member

Neat and clean, as everything in this country.