The Guitar Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by Jacobe, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Hi axers! I just thought to make this thread to share thoughts and stuuf around playing guit.I study mostly jazz but I like to approach guitar in as many angles as possible.Classical ,rock ,comping etc.So if you have some interesting arrangements ,recordings or other interesting stuff related to guitar ,pls share it here.

I start with a harmonics study which I made one night.I use these notes playing melodies where possible.Remember that the notes aren't correct in terms of octaves,they just show you the note in certain positions.I gives you allmost the B-natural minor scale.

I use Guitar pro 4 software to compose 'heads' and studies ,it's very good and simple software imo.I just 'screenshoted the empty fingerboard and use it with windos paint. :p

[​IMG]

2. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

BTW, what kind of axe do you normally play? I am a shitty player, and I haven't learned any new things in a very long time. (And even what little I do know, I cannot explain, because I'm retarded and played in shitty bands ;) Next week I'm getting another '60s Strat, and I'm psyched about that.

Charlie Christian (Solo Flight :)
    Wes Montgomery
    Alan Holdsworth
    Adrian Belew
    Tal Farlow
    Joe Pass

F*cketeer is the man to ask here :)

3. laxtsc

laxtsc Well-Known Member

I play too, but now only ocassionally, much less than some years ago :) I play something like Sepultura, Slayer, Children of Bodom, Metalica etc. :)

Guitar Pro is very powerfull tool. I was learning tabs much faster than from text tabs.

4. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Here's my guitars...

[​IMG]

I bought that les paul copy last week from thomann.de netstore..It's Harley Benton lol,but I needed a guitar to play on streets which can be care-free.It costed 230euro / $ with gigbag and that 20watt amp. :)
    The otherone u see there is US strat -90 standard and It has Roland GR-30 guitar-synth mounted.There's an extra switch near the tone knob ,which gives me a possibility to have bridge and middle or all mics in series to get more fuller and jazzy sound.

Great guitarists all ,Adrian Belew I do not have heard so much ..where did he play?

Some of my fav's :
    Pat Martino
    Pat Metheny
    John Abercrombie
    Mike Stern
    Mr.Pass the cocacola man ;)
    Jimmy Bruno
    Joe Diorio
    Jukka Tolonen ( A great finn player ,which I recommend highly :) He made his 1st record -76 'Django' when he was 16 years old :) He's old guy now and hooked on Amf badly ,which you can tell looking his face ,he even asked if I got some when I met him ne time ...:-/ )
    John McLaughlin
    John Scofield

<S>

Last edited: Jul 27, 2005
    1 person likes this.
  5. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

i don't even know how to play the tambourine. Really... :shuffle:

6. kazan

kazan Well-Known Member

Yeeeees!! :super: :super: :super:
    The Exploited, GBH, Dead Kennedys, Conflikt, Agnostic Front etc... :D

Napalm Death? to dla mnie za wolne ;)

7. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

emm Brian May? :D

8. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

What? I hate soft fretwire.

[​IMG]

9. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

:dunno: what? I got jumbo frets on my strat and .13-.56 :)

10. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

I wanna hear when you're bending them whole step. Especially the wound G.

11. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

No wound G ,just plain. np to bend strings wholestep starting from fifth fret.but the style I play don't have much bends, just vibrato.I'd like to have .15 - .56 (high 3 strings all plain) but my strats thusrod won't allow it.It's already tightened allmost to it's limit.

12. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

I see. You put a plain .022 for 3rd just like Scofield? I stopped at .020. Hows your action? I bet it's quite low. A maple+rw board neck is still tougher than a full maple, so I guess you got a modern C shape that's not that beefy like a vintage neck. Probably that's why you had to tighten the rod that far.

Is that a Seymour Duncan lipstick PU in the neck position, or a real Danelectro? Those give a nice jingle-jangle for sure.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2005
  13. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Yes the action is pretty low and I like it.I'm not sure about that lipstick ,but AFAIR it was Challer's lipstick .. :dunno: but yes ,it has very nice 'round' sound.If I'd buy a guitar now ,I wouldn't get strat ,but something like ES-335... they sell Epiphone version of that in Europe (thomann.de -netstore) for 477 ? / $ ..the Gibson version costs 2995 ? / $!!

(Why my euro sign seems like a square? :p )

14. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

You might check out Jay Turser or Samick or Ibanez Artcore series, just to name a few. They are bang for the buck.

15. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Just gimme those lefthanded versions bro then no prob.If I'd get to test all those guitars LH'ed I'd have to travel half tellus .-I

16. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Now I can advertise that my Artcore is for sale, thanks :)

It's really beautiful and sounds great, but now I never play it, because it doesn't support my sloppy style. It doesn't forgive mistakes as much as I need; it requires discipline, concentration and talent to play to full advantage, and who has those things after several beers? Not I :shuffle:

17. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

Hey jac, you get the chance give a band called Jing Chi a listen too. Or Scott Henderson, or a band called Jazz is dead the CD called Blue Light Rain. Me thinks you'll like it. <S> my old elite brother

bullet

18. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

Kh, Kh,.... pop, shhhh,... glu, glu, glu.... ahhhh.....
    Nothin' beter than ol' good Stela D artois he he...
    Salute to my old elite brethens, I mis ya all.
    And Jacobe I did not touch my acustic guitar for
    a really whiiiiiilllllllle.
    I guess I should come to fineland and try to play with ya
    somethin.

My feet shell trawel through dificulties and dangers,
    to unite with his in formin' a column of mutual defense
    and suport against all cons on this planet.

regards
    ron

19. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

Sorry I forgot that you're lefty.

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/srs7/fg=141/g=guitar/search?c=6248

Check this out, dunno which one is in your price range, Epi's have some thinline, hope you'll find something cool and affordable.

20. Fucketeer

Fucketeer Banned

Man, that looks classy! With a pair of Phat Cats it would twang like a Gretsch. ;)