The Guitar Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by Jacobe, Jul 26, 2005.

1. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

2. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

3. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

4. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  5. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

7. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

8. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Some really good blues in Texas

9. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

10. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Neck throughs have better sustain.

However, this is an alder body Lakland Chicago made Bob Glaub signature bolt-on with passive pickups, rosewood fretboard with maple neck and maple inlays for position markers, tortoise shell pickguard and graphite rods neck reinforcements.

It is about the best damn bolt on you'll find. mandolin frets and no neck plate though. I'd still pay 4 grand for it.

Fenders goin down.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  11. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Nice basses. You're a drummer, too, right?

12. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

ALDER??????

13. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Yeah I played drums in my teens. Saw Bruford at the skydome in Toronto around 91. Alan white was there as well. (Yeah 2 yes drummers playing at the same time, keyboardists, and 2 guitarists as well.) They did a drum solo together at intermission but I missed it cuz I had to go to the can. Took a piss that lasted about 9 minutes. 2 super big gulps from 7/11 and 2 Labatts blues from the hard rock café can make a guy piss big time. Like 55 guys sayin "hurry the fuck up dude" and stuff.

Yeah Hez, these Bob Glaub suckers have an option of Ash, alder or mahogany. Alder is the best, the early fenders were Alder. Tough to tell if this is Alder, actually impossible cuz it is black.

Thre is these things called tone woods, usually hard woods. Lots of them. Maple, ash, alder, ebony..etc there are very sexy hardwoods like purpleheart and ziricote and and I even had a bass made out of Koa wood, very exotic things, if you do not live in a lions club shelter (ie you drive a 2013 Mercedes SLS) the folks at Alembic will sell you some expensaice stuff. And in California they have walnut, it is a hardwood, but it is good for makin furniture, Not for playin music with, cuz not all hardwoods is good for sustain and resonance qualities - (so don't buy basses made in California that have walnut wood in em, a secret from Mcloud)

[​IMG] A Rickenbacker from Californie with Maple, walnut, maple sandwich, a lot of glue too, remember. (glue is a tone killer)

[​IMG] <- We Like Money symbol imho

[​IMG]
    Maple, ebony, maple, purpleheart, maple, ebony, maple, and gold stuff on briass for mechanical bridges and switches too. Do you have 9 grand? All options can get you up to 15 grand or something, not worth it.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2013
  14. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

EDITED
    Alder is about the softest of woods. Does the neck of a electric guitar go from top to bottom? Or is it bolted on somewhere in between, like is in acoustics guitars?
    Alder doesn't bear a load.
    I don't know how they are made, but I do know that alder is the cheapest crap wood on earth, it is fit to make toilet paper.

Ah, yes, electric guitar guitar bodies, as according to wiki. I understand, yes, it is very light wood. Okay, nice guitar, sorry.

15. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I was part of a small crew of semi-criminals who foraged in BC forests looking for Big-Leaf Maple. It isn't quite as hard a wood as the eastern maples, in North America but is still pretty good music wood. We, our crew, made a lot of money over many years tramping around and poaching the stuff.
    I have a dinner table I paid a guy to make, made out of that, hard as rock man. And beautiful, it is all swirly, the tree had one of those Big Bumps that kill saws.
    Burr or something, I can't remember. And loved by acoustic guitar builders, on the back side of the body or the guitar.
    Maple, as is alder, are considered nuisance species in BC forestry, we do everything we can to limit them to banks of creeks and rivers, where they belong, and flourish.
    Me and my pals were doing a service, ha, but would have got busted anyway.

16. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Hez there are 3 types of necks on guitars:
    1 bolt ons (the neck is bolted to the body of the guitar, like a stratocaster)
    2 set (the neck is glued to the body like a Les Paul)
    3 neck through (the neck is made up of one big long piece of wood or woods that run from one end of the guitar to the other)

This is a bolt on. The neck is a 3 piece maple neck, 3 pieces of maple glued together and then bolted to the body of the guitar, which in this case appears to be swamp ash. the top of the guitar has a buckeye burl veneer. Expensive as hell and guys will say, "hey buddy, what happened to your guitar? did ya puke on it (burrp)"
    [​IMG]

Spalted maple (sexy, like a burl)
    [​IMG]

2 neck through basses (no bolts, see?)
    [​IMG]

a set neck (glued)
    [​IMG]

Acoustic guitars is glued, so they is a set design. However, some craftsmen make a nice dovetail joint where the neck and body meet, so good they don't even really need glue. Now there is a company Taylor that makes bolt on necks for there acoustical guitars, with a shim piece of wood that makes everything just so. That's what they say, but Dave knows better

You is learnin. :deal:

Alder is a softer hardwood, still a hardwood. You can make furniture with it. It is strong. Maple is the best hardwood there is. rock maple, grown in northern quebec, tight grain. very strong. famous violins are made with European Maple. they can sing like a bird. You know those songs from the 60s and 70s where the bass guitar sounds better than stuff from today? a nicer deep bass tone? It is Alder wood, old fender basses.

17. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Yeah, learning. Thanks. The maple wood my table is [was, it is at my mum's house] made from is called Birdseye. I guess the bird's eyes are little beginnings of limbs or something.

18. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Last edited: Oct 29, 2013
  19. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

20. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member