To the guy here who has bought the X-Plane filght simultor

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by hezey, Aug 9, 2014.

1. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

SO, what do ya think? I am dying to hear from you.
    I just flew, for very first time, a 737. It is part of my progression from 'simulated private pilot' to 'simulated commercial pilot.' It went as smooth as silk. I have no babysitting aids in the sim, the planes are let to act the way they should. Maximum difficulty.
    Well, modern airliners [737 isn't considered modern but is modern enough] are not simple machines, but they are well behaving.
    I have landed the p-38 over 500 times in a row now without crashing it.
    Seems boring? Well, I think dog-fighting isn't boring, but. Aviation is a lot more than hunting trips.

[​IMG]
    The video shown as a still frame is a commercial pilot showing a crew member how to bring the 737 in. All commercial crew learns this sorts of thing.
    I LOVE AVIATION.

When I was a little boy I would imagine, while under covers in bed, trying to force myself into a too damned early sleep, flying.
    Then I thought, HEY, look at the tv, see the Science Fiction? Could some of that become real stuff?
    AND now, look at my desktop PC.
    I still am dreaming, but I can dream while sitting up.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  2. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Not sure whom you're referring to, Hezey, but here's a recent flight:

http://youtu.be/CwWykdYoE-A

This was over an area of Rio de Janeiro, using default full-world scenery package. Graphics quality excellent, geographical features correct, but building detail wasn't there. There are in reality high-rise apartments all over that area, and it's very near to where construction for the 2016 Olympics is taking place. So that really blew the realism for me.

Reality of the flight modeling? Overall, it seems too simple to me.

So X-Plane seems good to me for commercial flying, using ATC and stuff, but for realistic flight modelling my hopes are with IL-2 Battle of Stalingrad.

Hope you're doing well, sir!

3. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

If you have a half decent PC use more 'flight models per frame'
    1 is never enough. 2 is still not enough. 6 or 8 is much better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    Use the more realistic setting in the controls.
    Go into weather and make it act real, with turbulence and stuff, the difference is profound.
    Be picky choosing the planes, the predictive flight model is good in may ways and not in other ways.

4. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Last edited: Aug 14, 2014
  5. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

As far as your wish for real feel of flight, see above about flight models in X-Plane.
    If a plane acts wierd it isn't the X-Plane that is screwing up, it is the plane's shape as the thing is glued together flat surfaces, called blades

6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I recommend the P-39D, it is hard to find, but is there, somewhere in X-Plane.org. Good luck, you won't get it off the ground until you RTFM. Then you have to land the thing. Good luck. Ha back to the manual.
    Think: strange as fuck CoG and P factor and torque and a variable bitch prop, NOT constant speed.
    Want to see how excellent a predictive model can be? That P-39 shows it well, the damned things flies so much like I always thought a P-39 should.
    Oh and I love the P-38 available there, in the X-Plane.org
    Both of those have lousy cockpits and art, but man they sure feel natural.
    Just remember it is up to the designer to get that right, not X-Plane. There is no getting around it, ya can't just tweak points on a graph or stick a new number into a table.
    There IS no flight model in X-PLane. The flight model is an air model. Uh.
    My head hurts.
    Uh, I bet Austin could explain, but he is so above my dumminess, oooh, makes me feel like a, well, dummy. Which I ain't, but I am uneducated......
    Seattle: with that scenery I recommended, above:

7. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I despise the ATC in X-Plane.
    It is clunky and UN-intuative.
    I love the ATC and IFR stuff in MSFS. ANd I consider ATC very important. Very satisfying to navigate in flight sims, to me anyway.

Loved. I have no bought MSFS since FS2004.

X-PLane:
    Uh, the feels right thing to me is driven home when I get into a Cessna 172 and take off.
    I got to fly in Cessnas, oh, maybe a couple hundred times during my youth and early adult-hood. A few more times as a mature human
    I recall the first few times in the C172 how it climbs at a nasty rate after rotation, oh for about 500 feet, WHOOSH, I was shit scared, it didn't seem safe to me. The man pilot assured me that is just what c-172s do.
    The C-172 you get in X-Plane. out of the box does that?
    How do you suppose that happens?
    Could it be predictive?
    There are no table based behaviors hard coded. It is 3d polygons whizzing through air. The X-Plane then predicts what the Cessna is going to do in a millisecond and then does it, a millisecond later.
    The C-172 departs from controlled flight in the X-Plane just as it does in real life. How?
    How come?

Is a C-172 a commercial airliner?

I left the MS flight sim world a long time ago and it was because of the feels real aspect, not in spite of it. FAA seems to agree, and X-Plane is used in flight schools all over the world, the hobby sim you and I can buy is not the product covered with _large amounts of liability insurance._ And that is the difference between what you and I bought and the commercial version.
    As real as it gets? Maybe not but close enough for the feds in USA.

8. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Dogfighting is possible. 8 people, one is host. Is rudimentary, one hit kills.
    SO, don't get in the line of fire, that would be the strategy, I suppose. Maneuver maneuver maneuver.....
    I would still suck, a different flight sim isn't gonna make me any less retarded as a dog-fighter.
    Virtual Airline is rather appealing, but I have to get my shop in order, meaning I bett know what I am doing, which I don't. I only know some stuff.

9. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

10. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I have some fancy scenery textures and objects textures in the X-Plane. But most of the high-rise buildings look like the ld warn out torn down now Chicago housing projects. And all the houses look like the got stainless steel roofs.
    So, I am takin care of that shit right now.