War movies

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Funtom, Sep 19, 2010.

1. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

2. demian

demian Well-Known Member

As a person with "distorted mind by war" i dont know what type of war movies you want to see.. Movies about americans killing everything that moves from perspective of american or from victims perspective, or mb evil Serbs fighting good americans, or evil Serbs planting nuke in New York, or mb genocide in Rwanda...Iraq, Afghanistan... what?
    Whatever i recommend and you watch, you will respond as Antred would imho.
    So, do urself a favour and go watch some horror movie.

Battle for Haditha (Iraq)
    The hurt locker (Iraq)
    Green zone (Iraq)
    The objective ( fantasy movie in Afghanistan)
    Black hawk down (old , Somalia)

3. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Um ... what exactly is that supposed to mean?:dunno:

4. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

5. looseleaf

6. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

[ deleted ]

Last edited: Sep 20, 2010
  7. looseleaf

8. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Green zone , Matt Damon. Movie about Iraq, operations to find weapons of mass destruction .Mb you will have some problems Ant to understand there were no such weapons.Movie could seem to you as propaganda against world peacemaker USA and its role in the Middle east.

Battle for Haditha , Iraq

Mb you will have problems to watch killing of innocent civilians, and getting away with it.Maybe you will think that did not happen.

The only movie i believe you two guys could watch and enjoy is prolly Hurt locker , about one brave brave superhero american doing specific job in Iraq.
    See, war movies are not only movies, especially those new ones. Each and every has specific point , in 100% cases that point is not about good american heroes saving whole world of terrorism.

9. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

yes, we both are idiots

btw: i saw all that movies
    btw2: try the miniseries what i posted above ;)

10. Red Ant

If, in the two or three years we've known each other, you've gotten that impression of me then either I've been doing a piss-poor job of getting my opinions across or you've just been reading someone else's posts.
    I'm not even going to deny that I'm obviously somewhat biased ... any idiot capable of looking at my avatar can see that. What I'm not, however, is an unconditional, flag-waving, unquestioning, brain-dead wannabe-patriot (if you can call someone patriotic toward a country that isn't even his own). Maybe my quick dismissal of Mcloud's silly 9/11 conspiracy crap has made you think that? Anyhow, I am totally aware that America has done many things throughout its history that have caused terrible suffering or made existing suffering that much worse. Sometimes these mistakes were simple fuck-ups, at other times they were driven by questionable intentions of one person or a group of persons, and at other times again there's simply no telling what the hell people were thinking at all. But it drives me up the wall to see that a lot of people basically want to make a single country responsible for every god damned wrong that ever befell the planet. It's as though to some, regardless of what it actually does, America only CAN do wrong. Don't throw me in one pot with folks who're are on a mission to antagonize the whole damned world by telling everyone and their dog, regardless if they want to hear it, how America is the greatest nation ever and how everyone else owes everything to them, or how America single-handedly won WWII or any of that crap. Morons like those annoy the hell out of me.
    Think about how much crap all our countries have done during their existence ... Germany, Russia, China, France, Britain, Spain, Italy ... yeah, even Serbia. If anyone can't think of at least one period of time where each of those countries committed horrible crimes against humanity then you're just not being honest. And obviously I'm not exclusing the U.S. from that list. But it shouldn't be THE ONLY country on the list, or even the worst offender, and it isn't ... not by a mile. Except to some people I suppose.

To take up your reference to the whole Iraq debacle, whether or not Saddam still had WMDs at the time of the invasion really doesn't matter much in so far as questioning the moral justification for the invasion is concerned. The fact of the matter is that Saddam was a murdering thug who had violated the terms of the peace treaty of 1991 not once but repeatedly, was starving his own people to death while spending ridiculous sums of money to build himself luxurios palaces all over the place and brutally oppressed more than half the country's population. I'm not saying invading Iraq was a smart idea (and I NEVER did) - it wasn't - but morally justified it was. Ok, given the resulting mess that is possibly worse than it would have been if Saddam had just been left in power, it seems a bit silly to say "oh, it was totally justified", so maybe I'll revise that to "it was justified but obviously one of the dumbest ideas of the century".

Anyway, I despise hurray-patriotism, and I could never watch a war-movie that embraces it, except for amusement purposes.

11. looseleaf

Hey Red, there are some of your statements that I can agree with.

However some are just ridiculous.

"Moral justification" for invading a country" ???????

That is just utter nonsense!!!!!!

Oh another movie:

"Three Kings"

12. Red Ant

What, regardless of context?

13. looseleaf

Yes, in an absolute way.

"Morally".

There may be justifications for invading a country, but NOT morally.

14. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Streaming video:
    Death by Moonlight: Bomber Command
    In Desperate Battle: Normandy 1944
    Savage Christmas: Hong Kong 1941
    The Battle of Vimy Ridge
    Anybody's Son Will Do

Torrents:
    Gallipoli (Peter Weir, 1981)
    I Will Fight No More Forever

Mostly about Americans.
    One not about Americans.
    Sorry, All but one are about Americans at war.
    Sorry
    [allegedly]

Okay, before any stupid bastards contest me and say, "Wait! Those are USA, Aussies, New Zealand Canadian and Nez Perce, and the only Americans are USA!" Give your fucking head a shake.
    Learn to read, allegedly medication freedom America.

15. Red Ant

I can see how invading a sovereign country would be wrong, but then there is nothing sovereign or legitimate about a despotic regime that oppresses fully half the country's population, uses poison gas against its own people and shows a total disregard for the terms of the peace treaty that ended its last war of aggression. If the terms of the peace treaty are violated, then the treaty itself is null and void, which means you're at war again. That's the way I see it anyway.

To challenge your no-way stance on invading countries a bit more, imagine a world where Hitler had just skipped the "conquer neighboring countries" item from his shopping list and had gone right to the "exterminate jews" item. If after a while the Brits had decided that enough is enough and invaded Germany to destroy the Nazis, would you have been upset about it?

16. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

What the fuck kind of a no answer question is [are] that [those?]
    Iraq was a sovereign country. It isn't now. USA and it's slave states would have ignored Iraq if it weren't for OIL and Some other things nothing to do with baseball in Texas.
    Germany invaded Soviet Union to rescue the Kulaks.
    Britain would have had to invade France to rescue Germany's suffering Jews, as the French people and gov did not give a shit about Jews. The government and majority of people there despised Jews as much as Polish government and people or Turks, for that matter.
    Francewould have invaded Germany to rescue German Homosexuals.

There are no reasons for war, only excuses.

17. Red Ant

Nonsense. Iraq was a shithole (though it arguably still is). You can either be a sovereign country or a despotic regime. Can't have it both ways. The two are mutually exclusive.

18. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

What once were coffee houses are now crators. Shithole, yep. Always was. Yep. Is everyone everywhere with differences untermesch to you, man?:confused:
    Reccomend a movie!!!!!!!!!!!!

19. Red Ant

Untermensch, very nice. Great analogy. It had to come to that sooner or later, I guess. :rolleyes:

20. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

We don't mince terminologies around here:shuffle:

MMMMKay now smart guy [and you are]:
    recommend some good war movies! I don't want to be 'one of the hi-jackers,' any more than you, or is that a silly thing to say? Do you want to hi-jack this cool thread about movies? I don't. SO let's not be invadors of whatsisname's regime.

:rose:

Last edited: Sep 21, 2010