Wargame I been payin.

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by hezey, Mar 16, 2012.

1. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

No sound, I never did this before. I will figure that part out.

Called conquest of the aegean.
    Written by John Tiller.
    I will look into getting some sound sometime.
    Peace.
    Ps, it works fine H2H.

BUMP!
    I figured out how to put music in the thing. Now, I got to figure out how to edit videos.

I found a ten year old film of me [deled] with [deleted] in www.[deleted].com. I am very surprised, it has been viewed 300,000 times.
    That is good and all, yep. But I cannot show that one to ANYONE I know

Last edited: Mar 19, 2012
  2. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

so how does it work?

where does one go to play?

tell us some more....

3. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

t is not very busy online. Niche game.
    Looks like the sort of thing a couple who who know each other might buy a copy of each so they could do a beer and pretzels night. Anyone of you know anything about tabletop wargames, this is what this thing is. Just like something avalon hill or SPI might have made back in the day, except on a PC.
    Is in real time or faster. The maps are extremely detailed, you don't see all the world by looking at the map, inside the textures are obstacles, irregularties in the landscape. If you right click on any spot on the map you see see what sort of terrain it is. The little soldiers move around in formations. Supply is vital. I need to find out how to put sound into these videos on the youtube maybe one of jacobe's songs in the background if he says I can I will if I can find out how too.
    Bye

Last edited: Mar 17, 2012
  4. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

5. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

This is still kinda boring to look at, unless you have an interest in Table Top War Games.
    There is some music now, that is a LOT better than the game:
    Beethoven's 7th.
    So, look at the film and listen to the music. Then, get bored [attention span of most of you is like, from one TV ad to the next].
    Still listen to the music.

If you are trying to look [and listen] RIGHT NOW, well, Youtube is still processing the fuckin thing so that the music will play., 'sit tight' according to Youtube's robot.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

[EDIT]

Ha, the video is great! Okay,. I did say the visual part was boring, but you can stare into that, as you are wont to do, you know, stare into The Eyes Of Your God.
    Hypnotoad

Anyway, it sounds great and there is a hell of a battle going on there, I am tempted to go and interrupt the AI that is doing things and do some myself.
    I never played this scenario before.

Last edited: Mar 21, 2012
  7. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

I used to love games like this. Back in the late 90s, I got hooked on the TOAW series (The Operational Art Of War) and TAO (The Ardennes Offensive). I remember wishing there were a lot more games like those because TOAW, while immensely deep and tons of fun to play, was also very buggy. Weirdly, my interest in this type of game has sort of vanished years ago. I just don't have the energy any more to invest so much time and effort in learning a new game. Getting old I suppose... :dura:

8. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

TOAW and TAO were both primitive UIs. I found my wrists hurting after those sorts of playing. And the Ardennes one was horrible to look at as well. Would have been better with a plane hexmap instead of the neon pounding my poor eyes.
    This game I am shilling looks like it is very busy mouse clicking, but, no, it isn't. There seems to be alright designed user end.
    And it has AI that will take over what duties you might want to delegate. I like to set the thing up in a Virtual network, with two VMs as a two player game. I set em both up with orders delegated and then I find one unit, a brigade, say, and I control it. I also like to command a ad hoc 'fire brigade.'
    I am trying to convince just one guy, somewhere, I don't care from where, to get a copy and play it against me.
    The illegal copy you can find that is cracked is no good. Ya have to have a registered game for it 'be right.'
    The bootlegged version, available as a torrent, is fine to get a gamer interested in the system.
    The publisher uses patches, updates to keep the users legal.
    No problem. I pay gladly for stuff that is worth it... AFTER I HAVE TESTED either a demo or a bootleg.

9. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

ALL GLORY TO THE HYPNOTOAD

10. boa

boa Well-Known Member

yeah,yeah....:"during the war.."

[​IMG]

11. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

More COTA and music. Harmless

12. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Shut up.

13. boa

boa Well-Known Member

I'm so affraid Hezey will die someday before Mcloud accepts his friend request on facebook...

14. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Same here but, it's not so much about getting older and lack of energy, but, more like a lack of energy in those games and games with lack of three dimensional action. These to me are good games for old people or those who can't handle quick reaction and thinking in modern simulators we have. It's like the difference between reading a book about a place to visit, and actually seeing/experiencing it, in a full three dimensional world. WWII aircraft dogfights are where it's at for me, and nothing less. These other games are just coffee table games. :duel: :fly2:

15. T-U-R-B-O

T-U-R-B-O Member

But when you read a book, you use certain parts of your brain to make what we call "imagination" happen. Hopefully. So tabletop or computer games, books or places, they are just different and you have your preferences. Just like anyone else. Dismissing things arrogantly - what is it good for?

16. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

When ya take a whole gaming session just to setup the map and counters, that is time.
    Moving a game counter this way is one dimension. Moving it that way is two.
    Sortying some armoured cars to uncover that pesky observer is crucial, you did not finding him until day six lose the fight for you dave?
    That's why you were running low on bullets and gas, I was interdicting your train.
    Waiting a week so your friends will join up in front of the co-opted ping-pong table was a third forth, time. The fifth dimension is your imagination.
    Taking a year to play a battle out, minute by minute is time, a dimension.

When ya are lookin at f3 map view and on the Text Buffer tellin yer squadies what is up, bein' the flight controller fer your squad, do ya crave for the mellee view or do you stop crying in your fun?

When I was 18 I new all about the invasion of France on 1940. I knew why the Nazi Gemans 'demonstrated' in the south. I learned why they did instead of THAT THEY DID. The history teacher in high school had little time to explain how picky a supply line is. SO he mentions it and hopes bo student, for the ten thousands time makes a joke or asks a question.
    Then ya get Real World Fighting Generals like Patton who poo poo careful comanders who do consider their administrative tail. Bean counters they are called. See, the difference between tactics and strategy? For me, just being recited a thing in school or reading it in a book wasn't enough, I had to TRY IT. I could try multiple ways of failing in a game.

Do you play cards?
    How bout word games. Riddles? Darts? Chess? Axis and Allies? TOAW? Doesn't matter. All those methods of recreation are fun and some of em ya can learn stuff or practice skills.

Download and try this, those of you who want to, instead of tellin me why you don't, I don't care why you don't, I only want to read about either you did try it or I don't want to hear about it.

Table top games were good.
    And are still.

http://matrixgames.com/products/377/details/Command.Ops:.Battles.from.the.Bulge
    That game is just like the one I bought called Conquest Of The Aegean except that it is in Belgium and it is Christmas 1944 and other differences.
    SO try it.
    Or don't.
    Find the demo, it is in there somewhere. Oh, it works H2H over the network. And is possible, sort of like table top games. The table was for game AND chips and beverages.
    There are still players who use 5d gaming.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  17. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Some of the fights I know a lot more about than I do readin about em then by simulatin em.
    Gettysberg. Bordino. Jena. Auerstat. Minks. Minsk. Minsk. Borodino [I know]. Kursk Norman Invasion. Another Norman invasion. Another one. Tsushima Straight. Savo Island. Savo Island [cont].
    Lundy's Lane. Monmouth Courthouse. Spanish Civil War. Polish-Soviet. Soviet-Polish. War Of Spanish Secession. 7 Years War. Hundred Years War. And about perhaps another hundred of those, all from a rule book, a bunch of charts and tables, beer and snacks and patient wives, fuck em. anyway.
    This was before Home Computing good good enough.
    Now, competent game ideas are getting into the PC, it isn't all just joystick. There are other genres, map fights are an old military exerciser, fight a fight on a map, with a group of other like minded guys. Some Prussian guy formulated some knarly one back in the day called Kriegspiel [sp?]
    I used some of the tables and algorythms from that manual, back in the day [my day] [DiceHits x TargetStrength] / [Hits + TargetSrength] x FormationType x Facing or something like that and fuck I have lost those rules liong ago and I cannot find those algorithms [From Kreigspiel] anywhere.
    Bye.

18. looseleaf

Well sir.... if one distills and subtracts all the coverings and "breaks through the pasteboard masks" you get one of the greats table top games
    that hardly ever annoys....

No, I am NOT talking about "Risk"..

It's called CHESS.

:D

19. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Clock annoys me of late. I can't deal with the pressure, the tempo stress anymore and, back in the day, my old self playin?:
    Oooh, and people who want to fight me when I take their pawn en passant... Or they don't know who to castle, or when or do it queen side and sometimes I have seen goofs do somethin like that just to shake me up and let em think I figure em for a moron, when I just tell em they forfeited the game, gimme my five bucks, you grabbed the piece, that it the one you move, you can't take it back. Five bucks, dummy!
    There are too many people like that, you know, grown men [and women too] who don't know how to play...
    Or those guys who get pissed off when you pull of some fuckin weird hyper-modern polish game, you know? And they do not understand what ya did too em.
    Hey, what the fuck man, why don't you move some of yer pawns, man? Yer pissin me off man....
    Fuck, livin in the Americas has really made for a bunch of people can't see over the next ridge.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2012
  20. looseleaf

Well now there are many computer chess games that are pretty damned good...

Heck, even Vista/Win7 comes with one!

I prefer to play against the computer.. I usually can't stand the life-form on the other end of the checkerboard either.