why was radar changed.

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by wabwab, Jul 8, 2004.

1. wabwab

wabwab Well-Known Member

why did someone change the radar setting? all planes are now gray?
    I do not get the point here and pls reset the fuel thing (100%, 50% %) ) aswell.

:nono:

2. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

I agree.But heyyyy it's RL :turret: Yeehaa!!! :zzz:

Gonna post a poll for fueldiv ,hope admins listen players ..

Anyhow <S> all.

3. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Yo, this sounds reasonable to me. No IFF in world war II last time I checked. :p

4. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

IFF= identification of friend or foe.But what they HAD in WW2 was some nerd sitting in tower allthefreaking time to report where own planes were and then the rest were possible cons called bogies. No?

5. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Well ... TECHNICALLY you can have that, as you stated by making some poor nerd sit in tower and have all planes report their posits to him periodically. :p Is this practicable? Probably not. ;) But I really think it might make the game more interesting if you have to visually identify approaching contacts rather than relying on some magic radar that tells you their identity.

6. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

not only unpracticable, but also its technical impossible;
    we would need an operational order:
    squadrons with leaders,
    headquarters for mission planning and f/f recognization-reporting,
    every sortie permition before takeoff,
    radio operators;

this setting is good for scenarios, not for main arena :/

Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  7. gawong

gawong Well-Known Member

Christiansted, St. Croix U.S. Virgin Islands
    This is the most frustrating thing beside recent fuel and icon changes. I know that you can't plz all the ppl all of the time, but you can at least try to plz some of the ppl some of the times:( I logged on tonight at about 9:40 EST, and I first ass]u[med that the connection sucked, because only about 6 ppl were in the arena, then I saw new radar, and I did not have the will to even hit fly. We are busy ppl, well at least most of us. I can't fly around in circles chasing my tail for an hour hoping to find a nme. I wonder how many felt the same way tonight and just rather leave and go watch ER on TV :'(

8. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

if i remeber right wast it only the british who had radar for early war? or even the whole war damit lets be Real turn off dar on golds :b to sooon to say if i hate it or can get use to it but definatly think it render dar, or anyone trying to cordinate a fighter to incoming buff usless,,.

9. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

@gryphon

You're that old? You remember the WWII? WTG ;)
    The discussion of radar avaibility for sides is as old as the discussion wheather or not the reds should have V-1 rockets...
    AFAIK first German radar sites were constructed in France in fall 1940... so no point to discuss there :D If you're so clever, give the golds the Lichtenstein-radar equipped Bf110's Me410's and Ju88's... would be fun as their range was something like 10+ miles... no more looking around- just press F1, enlarge the map and you see your prey :D

10. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

lol make a joke and get a lectcher :) all i know was history chanel said that in battle of brittian british had the first ever radar net that cought germany off gaurd, supossidly they didnt know why british were so good at intercpting there raids. btw dar newrk was backed up by phones and binocilers all over britain as many people became volintary skie wardens as such. the way they said it it sounded as if radar was new british secrct wepon, but maby it was just the hellasios netwrk they set up. btw wasnt being serios but trying to show how silly i thought some of these realistic seating are. and fu1 rockets who cares ive seen little real efective use of them anyway. was fun to play with them for an hour, havnt used them since

11. tigrou

tigrou Well-Known Member

didn't logged those days, wha?? all planes grey?? ouch! bad for fighters but good for buff.
    historical accuracy like a primary argument in this game sucks, rps ok but fuel, rdr, distances on map: :rolleyes:
    red ,gold do not have a wing commander to build a strategie, there's no player watching map all the time and giving orders to squad missions.
    - did wwII pilots had gps? so why can we see where exactly we are, pressing f1?
    gawon is right, when u have only 5/10min to play, u will not visit all the map to find action.

12. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

that'a really good idea frog :) and smth similiar to moskito6. And give at least 15 minutes of night - what would be fun :)

13. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

But, don't you have in-flight radar with the new radar settings? I tried to check last night, but I was too lazy to click the right version (or should I say, too sloppy), anyway, I got the error so I couldn't check if there's in-flight radar. But, if there is, it's a good thing, the ONLY difference over how it used to be in terms of radar is that now you need to ask around if somebody is approaching F**. On the other hand, you don't need to fly around blind to find some action...
    Funny thing is how the argument of a radar operator is raised, now you'd need a radar operator to tell you friend from foe, but in the past you'd need a radar operator to tell you where the foes are...

Ah well, dunno, fuel multiplier might be increased a little indeed, would be better, but the radar settings, well, just wait and see. The new icon settings (it used to be d30 contact, d15 plane-type?) were tested a long time ago as well, there were lots of complaints, but now I don't or hardly see ANY complaints anymore... What does that mean? That you might get used to the radar as well. In general people are conservative, or so it would seem, I remember a huge stream of complaints when 'easyflight' was disabled all of a sudden. People don't like to have to learn new stuff, or new techniques...

Ah well...

<Z>

14. tigrou

tigrou Well-Known Member

rdr available in flight? :)

15. zziipp

zziipp Well-Known Member

It's a game. It's a game. It's a game. Did I mention It's a game? Fun is fun and real is real and more real is not necessarily more fun. I don't like AH flight models and graphics, but the do have thousand or more players. Their radar is inflight and icon distance is like 50. Maybe not real but it's BOOOOORINGGGGGGG trying to find cons therefore N O T F % ^ & $ # g F U N. ANd the people making the changes don't play much anyway.... S U C K S !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    S TOP F%^$#KING UP GOOD GAME S H I T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! YOU GUYS SELDOM ACTUALLY PLAY STOP SCREWING IT UP

D A M N!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited: Jul 9, 2004
  16. zziipp

zziipp Well-Known Member

HEY ZEMBLA! you don't hear complaining anymore because it does no good to complain. Sorry but I think it's true. I think possibly it's russian culture..just accept dictatorial action because input from people will be ignored anyway.

17. Zembla JG13

Hehe, now who's got a bad day?

You can complain, but it's just not the American system where the majority automatically gets what they want. There's a final word from the designers. Well, if you don't see the designers play very often, then you evidently play at different times, not all of the developers play equally frequently, many of them do however. And some choose to remain anonymous, flying under different names.

So then, tell me, how does adding an inflight radar make it harder to track down cons?

Now, to get back to your "it's a game" argument, I used to advocate gameplay over realism, I still do, but I also like to play devils advocate. When people start whining, I point out the potential positive effects of the changes. And then some dirt thrower comes in :rolleyes:...

And I don't think it's Russian culture, it's just non-American culture. Democracy is not involved, the designers listen to the players, don't be fooled, but they don't necessarily have to, they don't need to do what the majority thinks. So yes, you can complain, but don't consider it evident that you actually get what you want.

<Z>

18. flygav

flygav Guest

Well I just thought my old monitor was looseing another color. Then after flying around for an hour and never encountered a con did i figure out, Admin strikes again. Good grief...
    I once worked at a company the a man built up (40 years) to be worth millions, and we all made money. Then his son took over, started makeing changes. And in 3 years he drove the whole thing right in the ground. I learned from that was "just because one has something, doesent nessarly mean their any good at it." Now the ones who have the position of administration of this sim ever consider, that you may not be any good at it. We all pull a bone head now and then in the things we do. But if I continually get the Bone Head of the week award. I will ask myself "maybe I am no good at this?" And I will consider someone elses judgement in the matter before my own. Everyone loves this thing, but someone could drive it in the gound.

And this Historyic accuracy equals better sim , belief. Not so, only good to a point, after that it makes things worse. It would be accurate if when someone got a kill on you, you would get Real 20mm tearing through you and a fire falling to your death. That would not make the sim better, at least for me, it would not increase game satisfaction. We all just need to log on, enjoy some killing, then we have less urge to kill our boss, wife, so on...... :znaika:

19. tigrou

tigrou Well-Known Member

:) the first modif to do is never done.why not change map?

20. Zembla JG13

So the realism crowd has made room for the gameplay crowd. Big change.

There's no point in blaming the developers alone for this, or putting it so that they're crap at what they do. They aren't, all your tiny little planes, these and thats which make the game, are all put into it by them. If they were so crappy at what they do, why then do people still play this game? Because it's free? That's only half a reason, as I'm pretty sure that software is easily shared in between the FH users. That the developers have the final say is only the final say, the idea doesn't necessarily have to come from them. There's plenty of suggestions by users, developers, beta testers that are around for two weeks only to TEST what they'd do. If you guys don't even give it a fucking chance... sjeesj. Ok, the fuel settings were a mistake, the only reason they haven't been put back yet is because someone is temporarily unavailable or something to that effect. But these radar settings, sjeesj, you guys just start the whining before you've even flown using them. At least try to fly with them, if you don't like it after a week or a couple of days of flying, sure, say you don't like it.

On a sidenote, these recent changes are all easy implementations if you compare them to the work the designers have had when getting a hold of WB and interpreting it for the continued development of it. If they were really so bad at what they do, then the foo would be flying around, the Yak1 would be a jet fighter, and you'd just need to land on a field to capture it...

<Z>