windows 8.1 question..

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by Mcloud, Jul 20, 2014.

1. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

I just bought this new machine. It has windows 8.1 on it, it is an i5 sucker wiith 32 gb of ram. quite nice. around Christmas I will put windows 9 on it and upgrade to an i7 or i9 when the price comes down.

BUT for now, its a nice machine, except the dvd player is made by LG and is a little noisy.

my question: If I want to copy a DVD to my hard drive and, like run the movie dvd from my hard drive so it is nice and quiet, how do I do this???

please do not include words like Ubuntu or "it's free" in your answer. I do not want any BS.

I went to this link, and it started off like a normal answer, and then it got screwed up about half way down.

http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2080322/copy-dvd-windows.html

okay, how do I copy a dvd to my hard drive and watch the damn thing from my hard drive instead of my dvd drive. thx.

UPDATE:
    When I put a dvd in my dvd drive, I hear a whirring sound and then this software program called Cyberlink Powerdvd pops up and I get the start up menu for whatever dvd I have in my pc. I like this, I don't mind it. It came with my PC. It says LG on it, so it knows I have an LG dvd drive. It works fine. I just noticed something though...there is a little icon when I click on it I get an option to run from I or H or "open DVD file from hard disk drive"

NOW THAT'S what I like to see.

But, I still do not know how to actually copy a dvd to my hard drive and run it, so that it works JUST like a damn DVD in my drive except without the whirring sound.

I am searching around my PC and it looks like there is a group of programs by this cyberlink company, and one of them has an option to "BURN a DVD" what does burn mean exactly. don't laugh, cuz I think that this whole thing is tricky, like with ISO image stuff I don't know what is going on.
    help.

this is the LG dvd drive. check it out, apparently it does everything. I can copy a dvd to my hard drive with this right? I can make a dvd too right?
    http://www.lg.com/us/data-storage/lg-GH24NSB0

Last edited: Jul 20, 2014
  2. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Don't burn, rip.

3. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

okay. these are my choices:

when I start the dvd software that came with my pc, it is called cyberlink dvd suite, I can these things:

1. watch a DVD movie (I understand this one) :joystick: ;)
    2. Archive HDV/DV video
    3. Make a video/photo DVD
    4. Make a VCD
    5. Make a SVCD
    6. Burn a DVD folder

I clicked 6, and then my screen blew up and I got more choices.

(a) erase disc
    (b) copy disc
    (c) burn disc from image
    (d) save disc image
    (e) burn disc from DVD folder

I am lost. what is an image? there is no option to rip anything damn it. I just want to copy a dvd to my hard drive and play it from my hd. maybe after I figure that out, I will make a dvd for my friend from the one that I have on my hd. but lets not get ahead of things here.

ahem (any help):eek:

4. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I thought MSWindows 8 now-a-days has software, included with MSWindows to mount the DVD in RAM.
    Uh, yeah, it does.
    Read more about ASUS bloatware
    FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!! FREE!!!!

5. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

thanks for the link.
    well hezikiah Colquhoun bradly brown or whatever your name is. Can you tell me how to take a dvd and put it on my hard drive so I can watch it real quiet like see? and then maybe one day Ill make a dvd for my friend from the dvd I have on my hd? that's all Im trying o do here.
    I don't know what copying an image means or dvd folders or burning or ripping.
    I can figure it out myself but it will take a whole lot of wondering and frustration just to do something you folks have been doing for years..

6. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Rip it, you idiot. You want to do a thing but you don't want to do that thing, right?
    Will this provide an answer to your troll?

Last edited: Jul 26, 2014
  7. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

HOW. I have windows 8.1. I really don't know how. I mentioned all the bloatware that they gave me, my type of cd/dvd drive.

8. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

What kind of spoon do you prefer, young master?

More interesting than retardation, Macload, [deleted], or whatever you call yourself these days....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  9. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

I'll figure it out. This asus bloatware lets me create a .rdf image on my hard drive. That's a start. I can't just copy the files over from the dvd to my hd, it has to be this .iso or .rdf image. I'm gonna get it all figured out. Anyone been down this road before?

ask me about bass guitars, I can help. :znaika:

10. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

OKay. This is getting annoying now....
    I put a dvd into my cd/dvd drive, and then I clicked "save a disc image" to my Hard drive.

It (asus bloatware) created a bunch of files, 10 of them to be exact. they were names blah.C00, blah.C01, blah.C02 all the way up to blah.C07, and it created 2 other files, one was blah.rdf and the other was blah.rif

OKAY. great, then I clicked "save a disc image" and selected my dvd drive where I had just put a nice new blank dvd in and it gave me a message "the target disc's free space is insufficient"

well.

remember those 10 files I was telling you about? well they have a total combined size of 7.75GB. Am I retarded to think that this software copied all the stuff on the dvd to my HD and in the process of created a disc image and increased and added a bunch of stuff? like the original dvd couldn't be bigger than 4.7GB right? I looked at the dvd and it just says full size on it, no actual size in GB. Is there some kind of compression/decompression bs going on that I don't know about?

Look, can somebody clarify this whole ripping a dvd for me. I am stuck. I just want to simply copy this dvd to my hard drive. After that I would like to burn a dvd from my hd.

Okay Hez, yeah I need to be spoonfed. I am not computer literate that much. Neither was a lot of smart people.:help:

update: I just checked to see how much stuff was on the original dvd I am trying to copy to my hd and it says 7.75GB. How am I supposed to make a dvd from this thing if dvds are only 4.7 GB in size? yeah they are the rewritable ones.

OH! looks like I have to buys some DL DVD-R or DL-DVD+R discs. (double layer 8.5 GB suckers) I am not retarded.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  11. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Good for you, you have now found out that Hollywood likes to sell their wares on double sided DVDs.
    You may or may not have hardware that can read and or write to those types, and what type you have supported

CD-ROM Drives
    DVD-ROM Drives
    CD-R/CD-RW Drives
    DVD-R/DVD-RW Drives
    DVD+R/DVD+RW Drives
    Blu-ray (BD) Drives
    BD-R/BD-RE Drives

I already was stupid enough to tell you you have to make an ISO and then burn it,
    But you want to troll some more, so you have.
    Now I am gonna hijack this thread.
    %)

You know you come here sometimes and you ask open ended questions.
    Like "What is a puppy? [and knowing well you are trolling, because what is next is demanding everyone teach you what a mammal immediately after you have been told a PUPPY IS A MAMMAL.

Go find this stuff out yourself, Man, and then come here and tell your us what you have found out [ctrl+c and then a ctrl+c... Okay, now show us some more troll behavior, demand to have explained to you what ctrl means.

CLICK THIS MAC!
    http://www.trannytube.com/

Last edited: Aug 1, 2014
  12. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

thanks for all that info. it was somewhat helpful %)

I am not trolling. this is the off topic thread. I started this windows 8.1 question thread. anyone who clicks on it knows that. that p38 movie you posted was actually off topic. :deal: :D

:p

13. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Q: Am I ironic and sarcastic?
    A: Does a bear shit in the woods? Is the pope Catholic?
    Remove as much of the bloatware as you can. I already sent you a link with all the bloatware ingredients in the Asus world of FREE FREE FREE FREE.
    Stay the away from various bloatware tools like, ahem, Nero-FREE-FREE-FREE
    Find some iso ripping software, free and open source [so then, hopefully no spyware or auto-exec bullshit]...
    Be careful still.
    rip the dvd cd ddvdcd, odd, odhd... I mean RIP the video disk.
    The ripping of it will result in an ISO as output.
    An ISO file is a mountable file system, and you can use it for your enjoyment.
    Keep Nero out, you know who Nero was?

Your trolls are fun. I like them.
    Don't worry.
    Worry about my links though.

14. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Yeah my new PC has Nero on it. Nero Startsmart essentials. And Cyberlink DVD suite. It's a nice PC, these are the 2 software things that came with it. It is otherwaise a clean install of windows 8.1, and I have the windows disk too, a lot of pcs come with windows but if anything goes wrong, you can be screwed, even with this reset function.
    OH, BY THE WAY, I am thinking about uninstalling nero and cyberlink, and I am wondering if anyone knows about and USES a good software program to rip and burn cds and DVD's?

Is cyberlink and nero that bad? I will try again when I get a set of DL 8.5 gb dvds.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  15. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Nero when used creates not an ISO file but that bullshit you say, uh, blah.xxx and blah.xxx and those other 175 of them or whatever.
    The output it spouts are a proprietary format, made by and for Nero. If you are anything like me [and you are, rest assured] the output is baffling.
    Nero did it because the Yankee business combination really likes their patent system and if the Jew Lawyers are not given something to do, the begin to eat the locals [see, Bank Bailout].
    Anyway, yeah, ditch Nero.
    I don't remember what cyberlink is.
    I bet it is just more of the same; spyware adware that sorts of things.

Try ISOBURN, which is a MS product - Use Windows search
    Try IMGBURN, which is not and MS product - http://www.imgburn.com/
    [​IMG]
    IMage burn, if you install it:
    use advanced installation option as the software has a JEW in it, or something, uh, I don't know what that is, but the software tries to take over a search bar or something, normal BS in MSWindows world, follow the money [see mortgage crash and bank bailout:USA].
    ALWAYS READ THE THING YOUR ARE CLICKING BUTTONS INSIDE. FInd out where it comes from, who made it. Be ware of Exec's suggestions.
    Ask that guy what is a puppy and he will send you a link so you can learn about eye lash care.
    And don't trust anything you heard on the net [except what I tell you, you can always trust me, right? If not, tell me and I will let you have your passwords list back- stop drinking man, you have NO idea what you are like, uh, still don't know why your bank froze that account?]

Last edited: Aug 2, 2014
  16. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

At 46, I am slowly learning that the rest of the world, not me, is retarded.
    Like why, for example would I choose to upgrade my cyberlink or Nero bsware and presumably pay for the upgrade, when it doesn't actually fucking do anything right now?

Cyberlink: "select the drive you want to burn the dvd FROM"

Mcloud: "ok" (<-mentally)

this Pc
    desktop
    downkloads
    music
    video
    C:
    -Mcloud
    ----goats
    ----gorillas
    ----freemasonry
    ----Mcloudmovie

The FUCKin directory where I "save the disc image" the dvd to , on my harddrive has been disabled

What in the name of fuck is the point of giving people software that doesn't work? so they can say "oh, gee I guess I better give these fuckers my credit card number so that can send me some more dysfunctional crippled disabled SHIT.

NEVER will I give a fuckin clown who knows what I want to do and then disables some shit on me my money.

Cyberlink DVD developers are chinese freemasons, so are asus execs as well.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmbCGtyiD5M

"Asus Headquarters"
    [​IMG][​IMG] "Hi Mcloud. I make cyberlink dvd software. maybe you come to my lodge one day"

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  17. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Never say that out loud, they will form a flashmob, some of them will tear you to pieces while the rest hold their hands up with those fucking ubiquitous I-Phone camera things, and flood the youtube with images of your demise.....

Retards don't like being told they are retards, I don't know why that is.
    And retards [most people are] form either herds or mobs, they cannot do anything on their own, but in a crowd, the herd mentality or lynching is, lately a Yankee Fashion that is spreading among the Illuminated part of the world, those who were trained to behave appropriately during a Bavarian Fire Drill.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/BavarianFireDrill
    I don't know why but my web search doesn't some up with anything worth reading about Bavarian Fire Drills, just lots of mention about a card game.
    THE WERE A FIVE books in the Illuminati Trilogy [never mind...a trilogy with five books IS possible]
    And now it is as if all the internet has been purged of it.
    :dunno:
    Oh, but the card game is mentioned thousands of times, as if the classic hippie sci fi books had nothing to do with the card game.
    How would ya feel to find out the word monopoly is not a word but instead, a board game, and all the years you bee speaking English you thought it was an English word.
    Illuminati is a thing many [JewPwned yankees] think is a quaint card game

Last edited: Aug 3, 2014
  18. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

OT, kind of, sorry Mac.
    WIN8.1:
    Buy as much RAM as that PC will take.
    Never turn it off, only use hibernate or sleep, and those sorts of power saving.
    Let the Win8.1 use the wonderful feature they call Prefetch. It is working by default no need to do a thing really, just let it do it. It is a file cache. I think it is called level 2, it is volatile, that is why I say do not reboot, else it goes poof and all the neat things you like to do will have to store in pref-etch all over again.
    Never mind, just do it.
    After you have used the PC that has ALL THAT NICE RAM, WITHOUT REBOOTING IT, you will notice the thing loads the software you like to use most often, at lightening speeds [Prefetch!!!!]. :)

You have money right? I don't mean lots, but some, say, a month worth of scotch drinkin......
    Stick 32 GB in that box, you won't regret it.
    I have stuck 22 in mine and I feel like I took a shot of meth.

This screenshot is evidence of Prefetching, see how much RAM is gobble up while the PC sits on it's ass?
    hatis becuase of the big file cache in it, Win*.1 is waiting from me to start a program I have already started in past few days. It is a pretty good feature.

[​IMG]
    And if you want to fiddle with and learn about caching files in RAM, try this software, it is a trial, works for 90 days. Is good and friendly and fun.
    I had this PC a couple weeks back caching a LOT of stuff and the RAM was almost full while idling. I got scared, but all that cahing can be tossed out, as it is in RAM and the Win8 does caching routinely, but normally you won't see it on the graph in task manager unless you dig in deep to find it, but Win8.1 is still doing it.
    The software I recommend has a graph of it's own and shows you what is really happening, and no need to be scared. Cache is throwaway, it is tossed out of RAM when a program REALLY NEEDS THE RAM, WIn8 will let you have the RAM.
    I like that OS. Really really do.
    I have now, three monitors.1280x1024 - 1920x1080 - 1280x1024[two pretty good NVidia GTX640 video cards to run them... hench the strange lookin screenshot. It is nice to have when flight simming:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2014
  19. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

See the numbers in the graphs and stuff?
    Notice the levels 1 and 2 caching?
    See the software I am using only need a GB of RAM to run just fine, so why is the amount of RAM usage as indicted insane?
    File caching, + tmp files in RAM-space.
    And, not shown in the graphs, but windows knows it is in use, is a level two cache, which is a file cache than survives reboots.
    What that means is the X-Plane I am using, and anything else on that hard drive [an SSD!!!!!!!!!], is fast as it can be, this is just dandy.
    I am sure SOME people here understand what this is about.

[​IMG]

Mac, you should get X-Plane. You have a nice PC. And guess what? I works in modern MSWindows, no need to hunt through a torrent of BS 'help me help me.' Mind you, once you see what you have gotten into you might balk, becuase it is not meant for spoon-fed, television educated, half-wits.
    Ya actually have to READ.

:turret:

Last edited: Aug 9, 2014
  20. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member