Dev's, for pete's sake do something about the P-38!!

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Red Ant, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Dive brakes were standard on all L models. Actually even late J models had them. :)

2. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

iv reead this in 4-5 difrent sorces. p38 shouldnt even compress under 20,00 feet. it was only dives started over 20,00 were air desity was to thin and air over wing would hit mack 1

mother sight of info

http://www.p-38online.com/compress.html

and found tis just now :D

3. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

rgr that

4. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

Originally from gryph's quote:"The P-38 would turn with almost anything, in fact it would out turn the P-47, out climb it, and out maneuver it."
    Told by an american P-38 ace, so it's not really trustworthy source...(just IMO)

Now please correct me if I'm wrong, but P-47 is hardly a good plane to determine if the plane in question is a good turner. (was P-47 a good turner?)

Besides, there's no doubt that P-38 shouldn't turn great at low speeds. I mean that if zekes had big flaps, then P-38 had huge flaps. (Another thread mentioned that those flaps made zeke a good turner, so why not 38?)
    Different thing is, who want's to fight "slow"DF with P-38...

airfax :@drunk:

5. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

I hope you wernt trying to suggest that the 109's climb rate should be reduced....In the quotes of some German aircraft desighners of the time they said that the 109 was little more than a hotrod of a plane......In otherwords, it was an overpowered aircraft with only a decent desighn....the powerplants and armament are really what made the plane. Even the desighner of the fw190 saw very little in the 109.

But as history plays it, the 109 was a large part of the war....Infact, last few times Ive flown 109's ive been very disatisfied with the climb rate.....p38 does well in this game, but practise with it..

Like in my case, I like the 190s with a passion. And then as I started getting to the point where Id use flaps in combat and such, I learned I like the a4/a6 lite better than a fully loaded a8.....So just practise with the p38 till you find something that works...think about it, the p38 is VERY different than any other plane modled in the game. So it would be unwise to think that if you were good at flying p51 or something, that you should be able to hop in a p38 and go rip things up.

6. kangaa

kangaa Well-Known Member

7. gryphon

i just think its funny that best use for p38 is as e fighter but she dosnt exelerate or zoomclimb for shit. kinda like a turn and bur zeek that dont turn over 300klmph

8. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

Sorry...my mistake, I was looking at indicated airspeed...surprised you were first to point it out though.

Here is data for climb rates, which you mentioned in another post, as a reward :rolleyes:

regards, Oz

9. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

LOL sorry I didn't mean it in a ... mean way.

10. gryphon

not making excuse at all everyones saying they want this or that data and this was most data ive ever seen on any sight... even listed oil and turbo oil mesurments. Was trying to be helpful.. go slame some one else.......or be hlpful too or shut the fuck up.

11. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

Um....I know Kangaa personally, and you can take it from me that his comment was not pointed at you, gryphon. It was merely sarcasm directed to those who keep saying "Show us the nubers, and we'll consider changes".

Actually, I'm surprised you took it the way you did.

regards, Oz

12. gryphon

:shuffle: opss srry kanga... just made me mad because i found that nice big set of info and id had already searched 3 difent time on 3-4 difrent days for 1-3 hours at a time for flight data on p38 that was not just wingspan leangh and top speed. and took it that u ment i was a winner no real proof of super p38 :rolleyes: lol not sure how i got that idea, maby to use to people always shooting down any kind of possible inhancment to anything red. wether it needs it or not :znaika:

13. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

14k feet isnt much really anything for altitude, maybe thats why your p38 is always getting shot down? I know a few days ago I faught a yak "vs 190lite" all the way up to 23k feet, hung around for about 10 minuets, then I got low fuel and dove home leaving the yak in the dust...Then last afternoon I was cruizing my p51 around at 25k feet looking for high buffs and waisting some fuel, maybe you dont see as many people that high, but alot of people are around if you look long enough.

14. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

Yep you stay up their allsop, devoid of competition, and fly home safely, heck anyone can do that. P-38 sucks plain (plane) and simple, Hellcat elevator control HA! what elevator control? stick imput are next to useless to pull up or down. I still do well in it, but to tell you the truth, i don't feel safe in it. the hellcat was the reason i picked the name bullet over my old nick bizerk (because lots of ammo) i remember when the hellcat was so responsive. not to mention how f6f usually goes in the drink off of the cv with full fuel and ordinance. hmm, imagine that, a navy plane that cant take off from the carrier. no wonder most pick the seafire. seriously the hellcat should have much better elevator response and shorter take off speed, especially on carriers (cv).

bullet <S>

Last edited: Oct 21, 2004
  15. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

Yhea? And I remember when the A6m could outurn the spitfire, and the spitfire had to obey gravity. I remember 109's Truely having a superior climbrate and I remember the ju87 being able to take more than 15x12mm before going down in flames.

Remembering is nice, but it doesnt do much for the current time.

As far as hellcat not having elevator control, are you drunk? Put your flaps down a notch like real CV pilots had to do let your engine roll and pull up "thats back if you use a joystick" not forward. I still cant belive youd bitch about planes that can atleast put up a fight while the a6m is still in a semi-pitifull state.

16. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

a semi pitiful state, so itwas mended somewhat? because i noticed itis betteras of late. the a6m still does out turn a spitfire, and if you hadn't noticed i have been saying the a6m has been porked, but it still does out turn a spitfire. zeke-w, antia and many others has bested me in a spit in a turn fight on the deck. hell and even in a spitIX if i decided to run after the turning, they are on ya in a milisecond even with alt to dive away. it takes a couple minuts to actually pull away. the spitIX on the deck was still alot faster then the zeke, andshould pull away quickly in a dive. And am i drunk you say, i wish i was. because even with flaps many many times the f6f will still hit the water. pretty damn funny for a navy fighter to do. Did you ever see the size of the elevator on the f6f? that baby should handle sweetly, but instead what is normal for other planes you need full stick imput (and even more if it were possible) to get it to move, even then it feels as if the elevator quit workin. 109s still have superior climb rate here. did you forget 109f in this tod already? that was insane, add the accelleration and damn phenominal. doing scissors with out any e loss. ju87 suffered badly in britain, and it still takes alot of damage. besides many use it for its otto.

17. gryphon

109 climb rateproble? is simple it tuns 3 times better now... b4 109 couldnt turn so u didnt. u dove then climbed and thats it. now u all dive follow cons trew sizors then split s then wonder gee.... she use to climb so much better?????? why? umm maby cause u turned duh. I still see 109s and 190s zoom climb 4000 feet and catch high amercian fightes who thought the were gonna steadly climb till the closed range then dive in. but yo 109 climbs 4kft rolls ho and is still faster then u. dont even go into gold climb rates! climb rates are so one sided its not even funny.

18. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

I finally understand why you guys can never understand common sense.....you just get drunk and think everything that poors out of your mouths is fact.....Did you ever think the reason you cant fly the f6f-5 off the deck without crashing is because you are drunk?

I laugh, when you cant even walk in straight line you expect to be able to go down a short narrow deck take off and maintain control? Man oh man......

As a final note, if you want to bitch about a historicly proven awesome climb rate gryphon, then I bitch about how the spitfire defies gravity with no historicle proof to back it up. Atleast the 190 still takes a runways length for a take off, the spitfire with no flaps can roll 50 feet and climb straight to 1k feet.....now how is climb one sided again?

19. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

Allsop would you like some toilet paper for your lips?? then quit talking shit! and drunk, if i was drunk you might have a chance. it is modelling here and you should very well know that! putz!

20. alec

alec Well-Known Member

don't start about 109 and hellcat please.
    p38 is not only plane what is wrong. But it does have a bad reputation now. 80% of me getting shot in p38 was bad visibility btw. Not forgetting that you are clearly seen with your 2 engines and huge wing... even my grandma can hit it. Not like 110 or 410 bastard otto-ass planes.
    Now I thought and figured a lot of planes performance is way not like it was in RL, but oddly enough they seem prety balanced. 190 isn't too super when it has its opponents. 109 vs spit is a legend now, which one has gravity here?
    but p38 you were supposed to see your 6. Like on a screenshot pages above.