How to take off with Spit?

Discussion in 'Target Rabaul' started by gursah, Aug 13, 2007.

1. gursah

gursah Well-Known Member

Hi guys!
    I could manage to fly with fw190 in Target Tobruk but couldn't take off with spitfire. Why is it so hard with spit?

Need some clues pls !

2. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

slm gursah

in spit you need to go easy on the throttle and also use ailerons while taxiing, rudder isn't enough. you have to roll a bit to the right if i remember correctly

3. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

are you using flaps for take off?

4. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

nope, no flaps

5. Lesiu

Lesiu Well-Known Member

One favor vasco, if you know any direct link to info about how to fly in TT, post it. I have been trying to figure where basics are, but TT forum is mess.

6. vasco

vasco Well-Known Member

here's some stuff i posted in some other forum

You can access the debugging screen with Shift-F3, to see all the flight parameters (speed, climb, altitude, engine power, RPM, status of fuel tanks, which fuel tank is in use, status of ammo, degree of opening of cooling flaps etc). Because i'm new in TW and i'm not used to reading the complex cockpit data yet, i'm using this debug screen.
    You can modify the units in which information in the debug screen is shown. Type .units 0 to have it shown in metric system.

Take off - the instructions from the online briefings for planes are quite ok, but here it is more simplified
    engine on - E
    mixture to rich - press ' key twice
    RPM to maximum - shift + ]
    increase throttle very gently
    For most planes you will need only rudder to stabilise them during take-off, but spitfire needs aileron input also, because it has the tendency to roll to one side while taxiing.

Engine - for engine settings (throttle and rpm) use the information from in-game briefings for every particular plane (select a plane, then go to Briefings in menu). You can access the briefings while in flight too.

Cooling system - keys . to close it and / to open it. You can open it to 10 - 20 - 30... - 100%, depending on what you need. Keep cooling flaps to maximum open when you are not fighting (shift+/ for max open, shift + . for max closed) and fully close them only in combat. Opening them increases the drag, so you are slower with them max open than with them closed to a certain degree.
    If your engine heats too much, it gets damaged, so watch the temperature all the time. In order to aviod it, use cooling and don't fly at maximum speed all the time.
    If your engine gets too hot, put the plane on level flight or go in a dive, if you can afford it. And open cooling flaps too 100%.

Mixture - keys ; (to decrease) and ' (to increase) and it has 3 stages: engine cut, Lean mixture and Rich mixture. On lean mixture your plane uses less fuel, but the engine heats faster, so use it in level flight, when you want to save fuel and when you can go at a relatively fast speed, so that the airflow will cool your engine easier. Rich mixture can be used all the time whe you don't need to save fuel.

btw, don't worry, it will take a few days before u get used to all the stuff there

Last edited: Aug 31, 2007