How did you get into Warbirds?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Helrza, Nov 25, 2004.

1. Helrza

Helrza Well-Known Member

About 3 years ago i was doing nightshift for a chargecard company, got bored and decided to jimmy my way into one of the rooms with a internet connected puter. during my searching of warbirds (was looking for pics of real warbirds) i discovered this nice little flight sim called Warbirds, decided to download it, and even though i only got to fly it in 2d, i thought it was the best thing since sliced bread. few months later, bought my own puter started my online career at Ien, under the name of "deadma", though it only lasted a short time... lol.

off i went again, playing offline every now and then between B-17 2 and janes WW2 fighters. one day i decided to look up cheats for wb, and a few other games i was playin, and stumbed across Warbirds FH. havnt really looked at another flight sim since :)

Just thought would be interesting to hear how we all got here :)

2. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    I played Air Warrior for years. I was a "guy who writes wierd and funny shit in the forums." Some guy in california bought me an account so I could play, as I was broke.
    Yep.
    He loved the shit I write and he liked my flyin'.
    And things were well.
    Then the fuckin' guy took off to Wb [was it, like version 1 or something?].
    I followed him.
    But I couldn't afford the money it costed to play hourly.
    Later, I played some H2H wb.
    ANd then later, readin' a forum about wb I chanced apon some enraged wb lover yacking about some "russian pirates."
    Yes, pirates.
    I thought, "pirates?.... Coool."
    But for a long time I couldn't find dick on a google and didn't know what I was doing wrong.
    Then one day, using some jewish search engine [from no less a place than some fuckin' universtiy in Israel], I did discover the freehost server, as opposed to free host or free hosting or hosting, free or free hosed.
    I found my way to some fh warbirds ru site thingie.

3. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

I got started when I bought WB2.60 at a cheapie discount shop for $10 back in 2000. After struggling to play direct connection by both modem and IP, I gave it away for a while. Then one night I pulled it out again, and was looking for new aircraft for DOA(also on the disk), when I stumbled across WBFH.

Been here ever since...mind you I don't fly as much as I used to.

regards, Oz

4. Ivan_004

Ivan_004 Well-Known Member

I played Fighter Ace 2.5 for 3 years + , later it was upgraded up to 3.0 and my PC was way too slow for it. I had a long break, wasting my time on forums . One day on IL2 forum noticed a reference to freehost. Thats it :)

5. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

was ordering some sw at internet and had still few mb left on cd; so i seached that company's offer -- games---simulators---free simulators---warbirds (30mb)

then i typed into search engine "warbirds" and the link popped up "czech training arena"
    i flew occasionally there, it was great fun; ppl very friendly, family-like; but then one idiot-ien-lover wrote article about this piracy, all in all it led to the shutting down of our little training arena
    to russia i went

6. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

For me it started, well, a long time ago for sure. Remember buying a computer magazine about... 6 years ago by now. Inside the magazine there was an addy, well, actually more of a preview, about Warbirds. The writer of the preview obviously was impressed with Warbirds, and I got good impressions of it. To topple that all off he mentioned the game was downloadable for free, you just needed to pay to play online. Considering I was a complete internet idiot back then I didn't dare try downloading anything yet. Later on that year the impatience grew too big and I decided to give the downloading a shot nonetheless. And whoops, there I went, WB offline. Kind of hard to remember what version that was though, think I threw away the magazine.

After that I flew offline for quite some time, but of course, I got bored. I felt the need to fly online, and luckily one of my squadmates of back then linked me to this thing called "FreeHost". Immediately I was sold.

<Z>

7. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

In year 2001 i was playing to Xwing vs Tie Fighter but i got bored because in combat person vs person is always the same, always turning 360є.....i was looking for something harder, and a friend (Kharn from JG52) of IRC told me about warbids. I flew a pair of months (in Blue Lightnings and JG41 Schwarze Falken squads) but my career as pilot started in Jan of 2002 when i joined to LC :)

8. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    Warbirds - I bought the game during a trip in Germany, circa 1998. I liked the box.

FreeHost - I don't fuckin remember - I was SO happy, that I played 12 hours straight when I found it.

9. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

I had a colleague who turned out to be an aerospace afficionado like myself. He told me about this bunch of Russian guys who had a more or less "pirated" version of an on-line flight-sim running and gave me a CD with all the binaries. The rest is history!

Thanks once more, RayV! My wife still hates your guts for introducing me to a game that took most of my spare time for three years straight, though! :)

10. Kutya

Kutya Banned

I used to know a flute player girl. She was thin and pale, had almost no boobs and was a very reserved person.
    But I liked her look a lot, and on a lazy late August evening I invited her to take a walk in the park nearby. We talked just about everything and the sun went down pretty fast.

Then I fucked her in the park, came home, made a search in Google and found FreeHost. Why, what did ya think?!

11. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

1996. obtained game collection cd dedicated to simulators, beginning from sopwith, of course, and ended with ka-50 werewolf. played air warrior offline and was amazed. found tracks and understood that it's an online game. decided to play online some sunny day.

1999. beaten one guy (alex stad) in h2h ssi su27. the offended guy brought me to another simmer (vit) so that latter could revenge for him. after duel talked about simulators. i reminded air warrior. vit said it's outdated and ienwb rulz. vit turned out to be commander of 228 shad. i rolled in immediatedly and started to play at ien.

1999. itmo then aike made free hosts.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2004
  12. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

I was flying HTH in Airwarrior and then WB. First i read about AW and warbirds in finnish games magazine pelit. Then one day while flying H2H against grobar he invited me to the russian freehost which was founded few months ago.

I don't fly here anymore, but was fun as long as it lasted.

13. zh

zh Well-Known Member

Offline flying started from BoB in 1994-95.
    I ve heard about online Warbirds in 1998 - my mate flied there.
    I dreamed about online fly sim...but have got internet access only in 2001.
    In summer 2001 i flew Aceshigh for a month and one day one guy from Germany said me about FreeHost - and i found it in the end :)
    See exactly date :)

18.06.2001 14:00:29 === Logging started ===
    14:00:40 -HOST-(Host): January 1945 (month 60, day 3)
    14:00:40 -HOST-(Host): Easy Mode Disable
    14:00:42 -HOST-(Host): FIELDF2 radio destroyed
    14:00:42 -HOST-(Host): Not permit to receive/transmit
    14:00:42 -HOST-(Host): FIELDF2 radio destroyed
    14:00:42 -HOST-(Host): Not permit to receive/transmit
    14:00:42 -HOST-(Private): gunnery stat on
    14:00:43 -HOST-(Host): System:moved to F2 FIELDF2
    14:00:43 -HOST-(Host): Fuel restricted till 20 %
    14:00:44 -HOST-(Host): Sending file

****** ATTENSION!!!!! ATTENSION!!!!! ATTENSION!!!******
    NEW PLANES: "LA-5, IL-2, I-16, YAK-1, bF-109G10" ADDED!
    ******** NEW GRAPHIC!!!! 3D AND 2D MODELS!!! **********
    * DOWNLOAD http://home.udmnet.ru/aike/new_planes.html *
    **** DOWNLOAD NEW CORRECTED MISC.BIN (01.01.2001) *****

NEW FreeHost VERSION 1.45(BETA) IS UP!!
    Now we are support both WB 2.76 and 2.77!!!
    Please send your bugreports to:

14. -jul--

-jul-- Well-Known Member

Whole my life I played Quake.

-exec- pushed me into WB... I don't remember when it happened...

15. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

I used to belong to GC & M3L and the hangout was on Kali (anyone remember that?) anyway we used to muck about with other free games and I played WB's a few times H2H only then one day I was talking to this bloke on server 252 (M3L) and he mentioned FH so here I am.

Mal

16. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

First Flightsim?
    Flight Simulator by Microsoft for my Atari (Cartridge version with extra stuff like additional airfields)... around 1989
    Than Amiga puter and Gunship and some Duell game (it enabled to duel Sopwith Camel in a Mig 23 lol... but was fun to play 109 vs Spit), both by Miscroprose.
    Than a 1997 gaming magazine with Warbirds on a CD (the magazine was "Gambler" IIRC)... i flew all the birds offline and managed to fly a little bit on Polish Tenbit server in 2000 (or in the begining of 2001) (a bit=only few sorties cause my puter sucked and my connection did suck too).
    I bought an old graphics accelerator in 2001 but due to the stress connected with finishing my masters degree etc I couldn't do much beside flying a bit offline.
    2002 was devoted to moving from one place to another (my whole family moved) and I had problems with getting myself connected to the Internet again (I was using modem, and therefore using Internet only to check mail and surf a bit). Then, Christmas 2002 I got a good deal with a local ISP and started too look around for online flightsims. Tenbit server was shut down, so I abandoned all hope of finding a WB server... until February 2003 while, searching for pictures I was accidentally directed to Nicae's webpage.
    I logged in as cooba- and was quickly taken in to 312th Czechoslovak by rbull-. But I was quickly bored by an unsuccesfull career in RAF so I established a 2nd callsign-> -frog- using which I started to fly in "Wings of Fury" Squadron led by airgem (KG51 now). In autumn 2003 whole WoF Squadron joined 302nd Polish SQ. Our former squadleader decided to leave 302nd after a heated debate with leaders, we (former WoF pilots: -frog-, avsdna, lepper) stayed. That's all.

17. sebbo

sebbo Well-Known Member

So we've got Nic to blame for your presence here, Frog?

NIC, TAKE THAT WEBSITE DOWN BEFORE WE GET MORE 'TARDS LIKE THAT IN HERE!

:D

18. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

lol seb

my friend told me about ww2 sim online
    as soon i got connected to the net i was directed here (year 2002) and started wb for the first time
    btw he was enlisted by --q---, so u could say q got me here (if ur lookin for a guy to blame, blame him)
    anyway we keep flyin in 1 squad till today and i think its not gonna change ever :)

19. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

Heh, we're gonna talk about ancient times now :)
    My online flying began propably somewhere around 1997/98 and it was European Air War at MSN Gaming Zone. From many fine pilots I met there, few antics still fly in virtual skies - at least 2 of them at FH, greetings Pedzel and Jozo :D
    Year or so later I switched to WB 2.70 at 1st Polish WBFH (not a lame Tenbit server that came years later and generally sucked ass :p) based on Itmo's host software. Great server, great people there and lots of epic dogfights, duels and scenarios I remember with details to this day. Occasionally we were "invading" other free WB server we knew: the German Netplayer. 15+ hurris mk2's rolling like a tornado through the arena and vaporising everything on their path was quite a sight :D Then Czechs set up their own Itmo's host and invited us to a Battle of Britain scenario. Wonder if there is any Czech pilot who remebers it? :).
    As for the Russian host I don't remember exact date but we've discovered FH shortly after it started. The connection sucked badly back then and it was full of bugs (some of them were fixed to present day though ;) :p) but it was really something. I flew at Polish FH for a while more but after it slowly started to die the natural death (with some veterans leaving and most newbies, scared of exceptionally high competition level, escaped to Tenbit server), I finally made it to Rus FH - AFAIR it was somewhere around mid/late 2000.
    End of story.

P.S.
    Don't call me an "old prick" next time you see me in arena, I prefer to be called a "Veteran" ;)

20. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

I first tried WB to get my brother to shut up. He stood all day: "Man, you have to try it, it's cool!!"
    I tried, and liked it :)