Combat Report - 5/3/44 (2)

Discussion in 'I/JG54 Grunherz' started by manoce, Jan 7, 2004.

1. manoce

manoce Well-Known Member

Mission: free hunt (F10, 0-5km)
    Pilots: heino, ngmare
    Plane: 190a-4
    Flight time: 23min
    Claims: none
    Losses: 1 (ngmare)

Comments:
    Pretty bad cooperation and bad timing. Ngmare was dragging yak when pony came and ngmare turned into me and away from incoming pony, which resulted into "snake situation" with p51 at the end. I should not follow in such situation but it was all complicated by misunderstoodment of order. We dove next to our field where were several reds. After long struggle they were shot down or rtbed but ngmare lost his elev and rudder and bailed in too low altitude. I managed to land with 28 holes in my plane.

2. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

this mission highlighted my novice skills as a wingman;
    we took the field in very dangerous region; rolled at right moment we climbed S of f10; quickly first con appeared (yak); after two poor attempts we spotted mustang coming with altitude advantage; i decided to head N, back to field, yak was already on my 6 :) but with no chance to gain on me; heino - pursuing the yak - was attacked by mustang; this moment was vital; too many sorties i made in which i had to count on myself and the choice was bad, heino couldnt get yak, p51 was closing to him, as i choosed the direction easy for him to follow, and it was too late for me to turn back;
    anyway we menaged to reach our field, where some gold forces helped us, after low turnfight in fw190s, get out of trouble;
    but situation was still bad, heino leaking, myself all ok but both of us with low altitude and incoming cons; i asked for regain some alt, but there was not too much time; for couple more minutes we were trying to attack bandits, coupe of them were hit with no vis damage; suddenly , just how it happens in low fw190 fights :), i found myself with spit at my 6 and diving f6f; long spray denied my controls, all golds were too far from me, i bailed with great speed and low altitude; RIP :)

3. BarT

BarT Well-Known Member

btw have u noticed that chute deploys faster when dive speed is high?