FW190 - damage model

Discussion in 'Aviation / WWII / Military History' started by strafe, Jun 13, 2005.

1. strafe

strafe Guest

I found some interesting pictures about damage in Fw190A4. The attached file was taken from FW190 In Action Series #19, Squadron Signal Publications, and show how Fw190 series were strong.
    In FHL frequently 2x20mm can rip off FW190's rear fuselage. This picture prove that Fw190 series were rough and strong and need some review.

Attached Files:

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 13, 2005
  2. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

The mere fact that a 190 got a 1-feet hole, doesn't mean ALL 190s could take it. Sure some got a 37mm and nothing happened. That doesn't mean every 190 could take a 37mm. A simple pic of a lucky pilot isn't proof enough to make a whole DM revision, imho

3. gryphon

gryphon Well-Known Member

ivev seen pictures of b17s with 88mm in tail and less holding them togeter that landed. one suck fulded under its own wight rolling on runway so little hel it togeter.

yet still any ack hit almost always is lost tail, wing, or pk from 40mm and up.

acculy the way nose was b17s often suvived 88mm hits to pilots area if the cam from the bottom up. this is always a pk fh.

4. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

nice hole - always wanted one of those :)

As for the DM - I'm not here as long as u guys, but enough to know that shit happens - u can get hit by 1x20mm and lose elev, or be hit by 10x20mm and safely go home - just a question of luck IMHO. Of course bullshit like 1x20mm both ailerons gone pisses me off, but it happens to all planes, not just 190.

5. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

@Strafe
    Can you show us a track of 190F8 loosing rfuselage due to 2x20 hit?
    Cause the photograph you've provided pictures 190F and not 190A... even if you know so little about 190s that You can't tell them apart, there's a clear suggestion that leads to the proper type of plane in the picture's subtitle:

1 person likes this.
  6. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Agree. OTOH, I do think that the DM in Warbirds is a bit ... random, but I almost fear that that's the best this aged flight sim is capable of. Improving the DM by any substantial amount would probably involve editing the game's source code rather than just fixing a few planes' DM files (or whatever the game uses to assign DM attributes to the various aircraft).

7. Broz

Broz Well-Known Member

But, as -al--- said, it's not a matter of DM, but pure luck. I've flown 190 and died with 1x20, and i've flown 190 and got 17x20 and returned to base safely. If we increase toughness, they will need minimum 7-8x20 to die, but what will be the maximum? 50x20? Flame assured then...

8. Allsop

Allsop Well-Known Member

It was brought to my attention that the fw190F has the same wep times as the a4 even though I am most certain that fw190f's were fw190a8's with much better alternitive power adders. Plus the fw190f's and p47's armor/durability is shamefull in recent versions.

We all agreed a long time ago that the entire DM needs a good looking at. Its just the matter of it happening.

But I have also noticed that the fw190 has been victim to many a low hit deaths. For some reason alot of vital controls and surfaces are patheticly weak being blown off with 1-2x20mm even from d8+. I know red spitfire and typhoon pilots know this.

9. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

That looks like a-6 to me. Outer wing mg151/20s and smooth mg cover.

10. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Allsop, I believe that these problems are in no way limited to the 190's and P-47's. All planes suffer from the completely random DM. Sometimes you get 1 x 7.7 mm and shed an aileron and your flaps ... other times you receive 8 x 20 mm and keep flying as if nothing happened.

11. hugo baskervill

hugo baskervill Well-Known Member

47x20 and plenty of 12 and 7mm in my beaufighter is my record than they kill me. Imho random DM is good.

I would be better that after hit, plane lost some lift and some speed according to damaged area, but it is quite hard to modeling.

12. strafe

strafe Guest

pls check this book first:
    FW190 In Action Series #19, Squadron Signal Publications,

13. strafe

strafe Guest

:@prayer:

14. strafe

strafe Guest

I agree that damage models are something randomic. It could explain some "strange" damages in FHL planes.

15. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Yesterday I've shot snkeye down with just 1x20 (stab fell off)... and he was flying a Spitfire LF Mk.IX... next came another LF IX and I got an assist for putting 20x20 and 20x12 in him... and I don't have anything against it... randomized DM makes you take more care not to get hit.

16. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

yesterday spuint hit 77x20 in 109 and only got stab,ailerons and oil....i repeat ...77x20 ...and he got the kill because the con spinned to water....(while other reds were hiting it as well)