Lets talk about how...

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -haupt, Jun 28, 2003.

1. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Odisseo,

>P.s. i forgot "baron" (1982) from commodore 64, funny game in 2D with 3 colours wich allowed to make only dive, climbs and loopings :)

It was a spin-off of the Atari arcade cabinet "Jet" which featured 2D combat from an overhead perspective.

The jet game, the biplane game that was copied as "Baron" and a tank game were bundled in an Atari VCS2600 cartridge under the name of "Combat". My favourite, as it was multi-player (well, two-player) capable :)

I guess my priorities have changed little since around 1980 ;-)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

2. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Hi HoHun!

It's not the 'streak restriction' thread. :D

3. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

Yeah but there was a bug! :D
    I used to do a maneuver called lancevak (do u know this one?) flying the Pitts and with the correct speed and angle it was able to roll 3 times on its axis allright. But if too fast it started doing crazy moves around the sky then exploded hehehe... obviously a bug.

Also the drag caused by the airframe when engine in idle was exagerated.

I wonder if we gonna get a new aerobatic dedicated sim with today's graphics quality and all the features that Flight Unlimited had.

4. Comet-

Comet- Well-Known Member

My first sim was F19 Stealth Fighter on my 286 in 1991 and I spent countless hours with it, excellent game for its time. Another game on my 286 was some MS Flight Simulator, I don't remember its version, 3.2 or something like that.

other sims and space "sims":
    F29 Retaliator
    Wing Commander I, II, Academy, Armada, III, IV, V...and Conflict: Freespace heh
    Red Baron
    Knights Of The Sky
    Flying Corps
    Red Baron II
    USNF + ATF
    Mig Alley
    F22 Lightning
    F22 Raptor
    Falcon 4
    Su-27 Flanker 2.0
    Warbirds 2.70
    Il-2 Sturmovik
    Warbirds 2.77r3 FH :)

Haupt:
    It's lomcovak, I believe. Crazy maneouver, few planes can do it off without risk of damage.

5. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

Oh cc. Im not sure how its spelled in the original language but in Brasil we write lancevak as well. :)

6. Ricedd_EEB

Ricedd_EEB Well-Known Member

Attached Files:

7. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

Hmmm Rice, i think this image wont help ppl in really understanding the lancevak because there are two different maneuvers on this pic and... argh.. the representation of the lancevak is so.. so.. silly. :)

8. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Haupt,

>I used to do a maneuver called lancevak (do u know this one?) flying the Pitts and with the correct speed and angle it was able to roll 3 times on its axis allright. But if too fast it started doing crazy moves around the sky then exploded hehehe... obviously a bug.

Neil Williams, 11-time British Aerobatic Champion:

"I entered the manoeuvre from the inverted and pushed up towards the vertcial, using full power, at which point I applied the controls to initiate an inverted flick roll. The world exploded into a juddering, whirling, kaleidoscope of green and blue; something hurtled out of the cockpit, narrowly missing my head in the process. I still have no real idea of what the aeroplane did that day, but when I got it sorted out, the entire "P" compass was missing! We never found it.

That made us realize that if we continued the bull-in-a-chinashop technique, something was going to break. [...] I still didn't understand fully what was going on, and I knew by this time that there was the very real possibility of overstressing the aeroplane."

(From "Aerobatics" by Neil Williams, chapter "What is a lomcovаk?" The original inventor of the manoeuvre - or rather family of manoeuvres - was Ladislav Bezаk.)

Neil Williams:

"The real origin of the name lomcovаk comes from the Slovak slang expression for a large, stiff drink. A Czech pilot once likened the sensation to the result of consuming rather too much plum brandy - I can well believe it!"

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

9. forge

forge Well-Known Member

Hello all,
    This a screen of my very first flight sim:
    Spitfire 40 runing on a MSX box (z-80 based computer).

WTF? :)

Attached Files:

• spit.jpg
      spit.jpg
      File size:
      47.4 KB
      Views:
  10. forge

forge Well-Known Member

Hi,

Be carefull, you can broke your propeler with a lancevak

11. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

Thx for the nice info, hohun. ;)

Yeah forge, afaik the prop and engine's fixation is what suffers most with the hard move.

12. magix-

magix- Active Member

Hi all,

So how does the lomcovаk or lancevak (whatever) look like ?
    Is it close to the representation from rice ?

Or is it so weird that you can`t even tell how it looks like :confused:

greetings magix-

[​IMG]

13. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Magix,

>So how does the lomcovаk or lancevak (whatever) look like ?

The Lomcovаk is more a technique than a maneouvre. Neil Williams calls one easily described form the "positive conical lomcovаk": The aircraft stands still on top of a vertical climb, nose pointed 75° up, and rotates on the surface of a cone with the propeller hub fixed in space.

The "negative conical lomcovаk" is the same, with the aircraft pointing 105° up (that means 75° up, but inverted), and rotating on the surface of a cone with the tail being the fixed point.

>Is it close to the representation from rice ?

Rice' representation probably refers to a lomcovаk flown in a 45° degree dive, a variation not mentioned by Neil Williams. I guess the reason is that the 1960s' Zlin he was flying couldn't do that without breaking apart, but it seems today's Extras can.

>Or is it so weird that you can`t even tell how it looks like :confused:

Some of that, too :)

Imagine an Extra whipping into a snap roll in a 45° degree climb, then flying sidewards for a moment, then backwards, then snapping back into the original 45° climb, all so quickly that you can hardly follow with your eyes ...

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

14. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

Hey, i found some videos of a Super Chipmunk performing the lomcevak so you can see it magix. :)

Here is the maneuver seen from the ground (in slow motion to understand better) ;)
    SHOW

Another one from the ground but now on normal video speed so you can see how hard/violent/fast it is. :eek:
    SHOW

From the cockpit (camera positioned in front of the pilot, filming backwards). Check how the pilot is affected by the G-forces on this maneuver. Tip: look at his hair and face's expressions. :joystick:
    SHOW

Here is the lomcevak filmed by a camera positioned on the right wingtip.
    SHOW

Im sure you can understand now the lomcevak. ;)

ps: i also would like to use this opportunity to post as a homage to Art Scholl who is the pilot performing the lomcevak on these movies. I love aerobatic flying very much so i admire those men who make it a way of life and do it as its best. Unfortunately he died on a fatal crash while performing an inverted flat spin. :(

We wont forget you! (hes the one wearing glasses)

[​IMG]

Art Scholl Memorial Site for more aerobatic videos.

Now about the lomcevak and planes able to do it, as you can see on these movies is that this plane Super Chipmunk does the lomcevak once and im not sure about the Pitts, Extras and Sukhois but the Tucano used by the brazilian aerobatic demostration team is able to do it 3 times in a row. :eek:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 4, 2003
  15. magix-

magix- Active Member

Hi all,

@ HoHun and haupt WTG for ya

thx for the very good explanation of this impressive manoeuver
    now i have an idea what you talking about.

But when i see the movies i still wonder how they can keep control over the situation. :super:

Nevertheless this figure looks very beautiful to me.

regards to him on cloud number 7 while performing some weird manoeuvers with his cloud, causing weather mishaps on Earth :D

greetings magix-

[​IMG]

16. HJM---

HJM--- Well-Known Member

17. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

I have that CD too. I will install win 2000 to get it working (better dos emulation).

18. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi HJM,

>just recalled something...i bet THOSE were the best handheld games in the world :D (but mostly "eastern" kids will know it i think)

I've seen these in Germany too, but I can't remember exactly when. It must have been in the early 1980s.

Even before these came out, there were LED games, like a football game where the LEDs in a small grid (like 5 x 8, plus 2 x 3 for the goalkeepers) represented the players. Dim LEDs were computer players, bright LEDs were players' players, and the super bright LED was the player with the ball :)

A two player game, with a set of cursor keys on each side of the game. Success depended much on how quickly you could push those keys.

(That must have been in the late 1970s or early 1980s.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

19. Apocalyps

Apocalyps Well-Known Member

Now that you bring up other platforms, I have played a lot of "Air Combat" throughout the years on Playstation 1.

Looking back in it, that was probably the most illogical game ever. The missions were amazingly stupid (for example, the last mission was attacking a giant floating space ship headquarter). But the planes were realistic enough and you could fly with most modern fighters.

[​IMG]