Lets talk about how...

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -haupt, Jun 28, 2003.

1. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

...virtual pilot's carreer started? I mean, can you name the very first flight sim u played?

The first flight sim i played was FS4 (Flight Simulator 4.0) it was back to 1991 and i was 12 years old.
    Few months later i knew the Lucas Art's Battle of Britain (BoB) and started dogfighting around the virtual skies.

I have very nice memories and those 2 sims means alot to me because one was the first (FS4) that allowed me to first fly virtually and where i learned all the basics of flight and the second (BoB) was my first combat flight sim.

Played many other after that of course: Aces of the Pacific, Aces over Europe, FS5/FS98, Red Baron I/II, EAW, some jets and helicopters sims also.

Online carreer started in 1997 playing Fighter Ace and then moving on to multiplayers Red Baron II and WB in 1998. Aces High since its very first multiplayer open beta day etc...

Tell about your experiences ppl and maybe lets bring some nostalgic memories back :)

2. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    First flight sims, same time, Chuck Yeager's Air COmbat and
    Microsoft FS4.
    My first Online Air Combat was Air Warrior "for windows" back in, oh, jeez, was, I think 94??
    I was Niles Tabernack or "Niles." Renowned asshole ki43 driver, later, after I matured a bit, I went to Full Realism and flew the Pony or the Ki43. I never was "ace" level, but I got my licks in. I was a well known idiot in the Bigweek forums.
    Some guy from california (I think I know who he was, but I won't say) bought me a year's online flying after the BigWeek beta ended, I think it was becuase I made so many people angry in the forums.

There have since, been a string of online and offline AC sims and Civilian sims, among them:
    FS5
    FS5.1
    FS95
    FS98
    FS2000 (yucch!!!)
    FS2002
    MSCFS1
    MSCFS2
    Warbirds 1.1 (yep, the one with the supposed Me163, but I don't recall seeing it there)
    Warbirds 2.5
    Warbirds 2.72, 2.73, 2.74, 75, 76, 77 (they fucking porked H2H, bastiges)
    Warbirds Freehost for (how long now? Seems like forever)
    Falcon 3
    Falcon 4
    Efalcon
    FalconSP
    Aces of the Pacific
    Aces over Europe
    European Air War
    Fly!
    Fly2!
    Janes ww2 fighters
    Janes ATF
    Janes USAF
    Aces high...
    (Pant pant pant pant. I said all that in one breath!!)

Why after all this, I still suck? beats me. Forever mediocre....hmmmm

3. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

My first PC sims:

'Battlehawks 1942' and 'DamBusters'. :)

Attached Files:

4. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Here's my timeline:

Falcon AT (late 80s)
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Falcon+AT

[​IMG]
    Falcon 3.0/Falcon 3.0: Mig 29 (One of best sims ever made. First sim I ever flew against human opponents. Mig 29 was my fav)
    http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/abandonware/pc/simulations/games_f_h/falcon_3_0.html

[​IMG]
    SWOTL (Go 229 and Komet were so damn cool)
    Battle of Britain: Their Finest Hour

[​IMG]
    Gunship 2000

[​IMG]
    Red Baron
    http://www.abandonkeep.com/games.php?GameID=90

[​IMG]
    Aces of the Pacific
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Aces+of+The+Pacific

Aces over Europe
    http://www.the-underdogs.org/game.php?name=Aces+over+Europe

[​IMG]
    Air Warrior (early 90s. thats where i learned to love 190, hammerheads and E fighting)

[​IMG]
    1942: Pacific Air War ( that buggy pacific sim)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2003
  5. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

[​IMG]
    Confirmed Kill ( later known as Warbirds. I flew some years offline until HTH was avail. Practiced 190..that old (real) rollrate and lesser inertia was something!!!)

[​IMG]
    Flight Unlimited (Mainly practiced ACM tricks with Extras and Sukhois. Great flight modeling with air currencies and all)

[​IMG]
    Warbirds FH (early 2000)

[​IMG]
    Aces High (Nothing feels better than killing runstang with well aimed 30mm round)

i'd like to try WW2OL (very interested in that concept) and IL-2 FB (offline sucks).

Last edited: Jun 28, 2003
  6. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

I guess I'm going to embarrass myself then.

1st flight sim, Falcon (the original) on the Spectrum 48K in around 1986.

But I never really got seriously into them because I was playing strategic wargaming more, I did however dabble in ATF (all Terrain Fighter) on the Amiga 500, but flight simms were still pretty crap back then, and Yes I did get suckered into buying the Space Shuttle simulator.

But I tended to play more Space simms like Elite, Xwing then I discovered the MW series, MW2, Mercs, MCG, MW3, MW4 etc.

Then Tribes for a while before being introduced by another MW pilot to FH in early 2001.

I played a few helicopter simms in my time though, Gunship 2000, Lynx, Commanche, KA52

TTFN.

Mal

7. Odisseo

Odisseo Well-Known Member

My first sim game was "Hellcats" a sim of 1984 for Mac (it looks not so nice as rgreat one :D
    I didn't got immediatly a good feeling since i plaied for 2 years to Gato, Uboat sim.
    Then i found Adf 22 with my first Wodoocard.
    Here started my plane sim passion with WWII fighters, EAW, DOA, Luftwaffe commander, Red Baron and Red Baron 3D, AH, Warbirds and last one but only offline IL2.

Till now Red Baron 3D is the best sim.

8. spuint

spuint Well-Known Member

well...
    ace of aces on C64... not a sim... rather shootout

Redbaron 3d... only in arcade mode :shuffle:
    just couldnt fly in real sett mode :)
    such lame... :D

then some f22 lighting... couple of hours only;

but my start with sims are with WB, here at freehost, about 8 months ago;
    and it was my real start with sims, ive learned how to fly, some tactics, history, manuevers....
    learning fast :)

9. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

sim of planes ( without space smiulators) ...:

f29 retaliator, i player first time with 8 years i think
    chuck yeager air combat......for me the best in those years :D
    battle of 1942 .....
    f117
    f15 strike eagle
    f14 fleet defender
    jane's usaf
    a10 cuba
    some sim of helicopters: apache, apache vs havoc....
    air warrios2
    wb2
    FS98
    jane's f15
    usaf
    il2/fb

i think i had more, but i dont remeber, also i played a lot of demos or sharewares:

f22 raptor(shit)
    iaf
    aces of dawn
    ah
    ........etc

10. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Haupt,

>...virtual pilot's carreer started? I mean, can you name the very first flight sim u played?

Psion Flight Simulator for the Sinclair ZX81, in 1982 or '83.

Stunning 64 x 48 pixel monochrome graphics :)

(Screen resolution actually was 256 x 192 pixels, but it could only be addressed in 4 x 4 chunks for graphics.)

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

11. FranzAugust

FranzAugust Well-Known Member

I started in 1997 with pc-gaming. And my first game was

Sabre Ace
    [​IMG]

After that i wanted to fly jets! So i bought my first jetsim
    Fighters Anthology
    [​IMG]

Its still my favourite jetsim today :) But I like Flanker 2.5 too. :joystick:

[​IMG]

Resumй: Sabre Ace and Fighters Anthology were the milestones in my Flightsim-career. After these two games I was infected with the Flight Sim virus.

I played also:
    - EAW
    - Red Baron
    - Luftwaffe Commander
    - F18 Korea
    - B17 Flying Fortress (the old and the new one)
    - Battle of Britain
    - Mig Alley

But then in January 2001 came warbirds...
    After the DE Server closed I went to FH and Iґm still here as you can see.

12. Apocalyps

Apocalyps Well-Known Member

The first time that I ever took flight in a virtual world has to be at around 1994 - 1995 when I played this really cool helicopter game at Zembla's house. Ask him about the name 'cause I don't have any idea...

Next on the list is in 1996 when I played Microsoft Flight Sim '95 at a friends house, I remember being really impressed by the realism :) :

LINK to screenshot

We got our "new" PC in 1997 which came with Microsoft Flight Sim '98. Now this game, I played it for ages... Doing virtually everything! :

LINK to screenshot

My first online flying experience was in 2000 when I played Microsoft Combat Flight Simulator 1 online at the zone.com. Those were the days for me, I can't remeber anything really but the fun I had!

LINK to screenshot

Around the same time I started playing warbirds offline. Took me about 6 months before I started playing it online. I played warbirds very intensivly for almost a year. But about a year ago it somehow didn't do it anymore for me and I just got bored with it. Maybe I just played way too much, any how, started playing again a few weeks ago and now that we have our 2 month summer holiday, I'll be playing a little more often again!

grtz!

13. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Wow, aint I the rookie :)

Started playing flight sims on FH in September last year. I had spent a couple of weeks the year before trying it out but had a crap joystick and gave up in the end.

Malino hauled my ass back in again and I enjoyed it much more second time around.

Tried IL2 online but fighting at alts of 500-1000m wasnt my idea of fun.

-glas-

14. beryl

beryl Well-Known Member

~1993 - C64 and "ACE" - looooong hours spend on air-refueling,tank busting and shooting to migs:) Aces of aces, Ace2,Dam Busters, F14Tomcat, Fighter-Bomber. Later PC and Hornet:Korea, some Novalogic's "sims" and in 2001 WB

15. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

I'll try to recollect my past... which could be quite hard cause I tend to remember things wrong or not really that detailed...

here goes:

First experience must've been around 1993 or 1994 when my cousin's got their PC, one of the first PC's with CD-ROM drives and a blistering 15" screen! [I think :)] Anyhow, they had this space arcade sim alike thingy (can't remember it's name), which got me hung, I loved it at first sight, too bad I had nothing better than a 286 back at home (they had a Pentium if I recall right)... too bad for me... next time I came around they had TFX (Tactical Fighter Experiment) and damn that looked so awesome, too bad I didn't have a good puter, the next experience must've been at a friend's place who had LHX (Light Attack Helicopter Experimental :p or something in that order) yet another game I loved to play but couldn't play, the next thing I remember was seeing Gunship 2000 at my cousin's place and not being able to even take off... frustrating because I was dying to have my fun in the air, I must've been about 9 or 10 then I think... Ahh, so it was frustrating for me, I wanted to fly, but the puter at home was too lame to let me... so we bough a new one in 1997, a Pentium II 233Mhz, I had already bought Fighters Anthology before receiving the puter itself, on the first day we got the puter I already spent almost the whole day playing FA :D So time went by and I got other games, other games like WB (offline I sucked ass at it), IAF (Israeli Air Force) had much much fun with IAF, and switched to Team Apache (the sim Apoc mentioned)... after this I joined my first online squadron (JG13 's btw only my second)... used to play IAF with them, then I got USAF played it with my online buddies, got Jane's F/A-18 before I got USAF, and after USAF I started flying WB, I started flying Falcon 4.0, Aces High, and lots of others in the meanwhile, never really that extensively...

I'm wondering about WWIIOL as well, but the plane's aren't realistic, I heard that the game is very arcade-ish qua flight model, so don't expect too much of a challenge in terms of spinning out while maneuvering, but however the point which interests me is the atmosphere and the idea of partciipating in a daily updated ATO (air tasking order)...

<Z>

16. vojtas

vojtas Well-Known Member

1999 / 2000 WB 2.70 - my first flight simulator

2002 - Red Baron (just few flights)

2002 - WB 2.77 - and i'm still here ;)

17. gahis

gahis FH Sound Developer

from first to now

F15 on NES
    F15 strike 2 on sega
    janes fighter antholidgy
    ((bought wingman, and got warbirds 2.01 with it :) ))
    WB 2.01 for abit
    ACE combat on PSX
    ACE comabt 2 on PSX
    IAF came along
    freind told me about a "free" WB server
    WB 2.77 at FH ((still here))
    ACE combat 3 and 4 on PSX 2

Since I got win XP, can't play any fun games anymore :(

18. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

:confused: how's that?

I've got XP as well, and I can play just about anything... what games exactly?
    Old games? some work, others I need to fly from my old PC

<Z>

19. Ricedd_EEB

Ricedd_EEB Well-Known Member

i started i long long long time ago... with these spectacular games!!! in the left "air raiders" and in the right the classic "river raid", from atari! :D :D :D

who didnt have an atari??? i think this is the best present my parents gave me in all my life... i spent MUCH time in front of it... :D
    joking...

i started my career with warbirds in january this year.
    in played a lot of simulators before, but only in friendґs houses, i got my first pc september last year... :super:

20. Manowarrior

Manowarrior Well-Known Member

Yeah, River raid RLZ!! :super: