vive 1.42?

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -exec-, Jun 8, 2009.

?

1.42?

1. when i say about 1.42, i just talk about nostalgie

18.5%
  2. when i say about 1.42, i swear i will play again if FH goes 1.42 even if others won't

25.9%
  3. i will quit the game if FH retreats to 1.42. just fix errors of 1.672 and/or server rules.

7.4%
  4. it's not about version, it's time when people go different ways

33.3%
  5. woopeckers around!

14.8%
  1. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

Something needs to be done.

Opposing color buff attacks field far away from action.

I up a fighter to attack.

Buff drops last bomb and suicides into ack or just into the ground.

Jump from field to field with same result.

Chance across a field with 4 ju's and like 60 troops on ground with 4 commandos.

Ju's are empty and just flying around actstarring to the point that anything that spawns on the ground is immediately shot up by the laser accurate JU52 rear gunner.

This includes tanks and jeeps or any plane.

The the radio chatter is full of guys deceiving themselves they are badass because they are successfully exploiting a hole in the game.

If they consider this lame dweebery cool, then thier lives must really be empty with zero reward for good honest work.

I fart in thier general direction.

Also.......is otto's ammo unlimited?

I got a vator shot off and could not move from behind a plane and took 600 shots from otto but I don't remember any bomber gunners carrying near that much ammo in real life.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2009
  2. thug

thug Well-Known Member

vive suck

1.42 ... should we be able to remember the specifics? I don't. So many versions ...
    All I know is: as soon as Hardy took over improving the game everyone left. So maybe 1.42 is good for the old school players, and purists, you know, people who give a fuck about playing. I seem to remember enjoying this game, I'd like to say I even cared. I did, I cared. So yeah, I've convinced myself, set it back, change it, keep it that way.
    But only if 1.42 was the version before the p38 was fucked by rgreat. Rgreat, yeah, the guy I shot down in his 109f twice in the same sortie when I was in a p38f, and then next update, p38 is fucked and has been since.
    That was a long time ago, years even, not that I'm keeping track or holding grudges, or lighting candles next to a voodoo bat-skull and bottle full of snake blood underneath rgreat's picture on my wall or anything. Nothing like that, at all. I mean it's perfectly reasonable to just fuck up a good flight model only to never be seen in the game again. The motivators to do stupid shit is a hard thing to figure out, you know, that whole human nature idiotic brain wave thing. So I can't blame him for his lack of character, nobodies perfect, so maybe rgreat couldn't take responsibility for sucking at the game HE CONTROLLED so he did something about it--he made the game suck.
    So now Hardy comes along and fucks everything else: gunnery ranges, bomb dispersion, common sense. What do you suck at Hardy for all these changes? I'm guessing it's a lot.

So here's to sucking :cheers:

... we all suck at something, it's natural, expected even, don't try to change your surroundings, change yourself, it's usually harder--and more rewarding ...

bitches :D

3. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Re: vive suck

Dude, got beer (or steroids)? It's a holiday, man, don't worry.

All's chilling.

4. demian

demian Well-Known Member

5. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Hmm, thx demian, for the link, just interesting, what i missed, the only P-38 changes i found since 1.30 to 1.64r2 are "speed limit of flaps extending increased. effectiveness of full flaps improved. stall speed slightly decreased" (1.51) and "increased throttle at low speed; airframe balance changed; energy retention slightly improved" (1.64). What of that is called "fucked"?

6. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

not every change made it to the changelogs

yeah I know, sounds a bit like bullet and his paranoia speaking, but cutting the fw-190 elev response is nowhere to be found, yet it happened ;)

7. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

http://forum.wbfree.net/forums/showthread.php?t=30385
    "FW.190, F4U: pitch handling at high speed reduced"
    ;)

8. thug

thug Well-Known Member

Ok let me clear it up for you, because you need help, guidance, insight to how he world works.

Version 1.5 this is written: "P-38 - stall speed increased"
    And this : "in general, early fighters maneuverability is now close to the reality"
    Finally this: "+ some changes forgot to mention"

So, one concrete, one vague, and one I did what the fuck I wanted to. In other words: blow me, you won't ever shoot me down again in a P38.

I mean come one Gil, welcome to the real world man, people do things on the sly everyday. This is how it goes ... and so it goes ... and so on ...

This was in 2003. Remember when I said this was years ago? This is what I meant, this is the launcher when it all went bad. This is known as the launcher that fucked freehost--for me.

So in closing 1.42 would fix the P38

9. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

10. Jacobe

Jacobe Well-Known Member

Hey Exec, how about FH running 1.42 as another server, like there used to be a TA... shouldn't be too much trouble doing that?

11. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

for allpay, By-Tor, bah---, bizerk, Jacobe, thug?

12. demian

demian Well-Known Member

I dont think its bad idea, if it is possible and easy to set up?
    Having choice is never bad idea imho.
    I can tell u one thing Exec, when we had Ta running, we had a lot more
    fun:) Having some kind of choice even if 1 guy gets back to active playing would be great imho. Plus if u could set up another map...
    I was not playing 1.42, i dont know if u had 1 map or more back then,
    but i dont think simply switching to 1.42 will be any better if we cant retrieve map rotation...
    You know, now we have 1 arena but its like some sort of mix main and training arena.It is small map, it is almost always , and its not good for raids etc . With 4 cvs reupping near big and med fields, trust me, all we do 90% time is just killing damn cv..:(

13. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

The P-38 isn't terribly broken in 1.67 ... well, not more so than many other planes. Actually it may even have been a bit too powerful before FH broke it a bit. I think 3 years ago or so there was one release that totally screwed the P-38 to the point where it was almost helpless in air combat, but those changes were mostly reversed in subsequent releases. In its current state, the P-38 is quite lethal actually ... certainly the most dangerous P-38 in any of the presently available online flight sims (that I'm aware of).

EDIT: Darn, that was FIVE years ago, not 3. Time flies. :eek:

Last edited: Jul 7, 2009
  14. bizerk

bizerk Well-Known Member

exec, ofcoarse not for just me and the few that voted for it in this thread, but like in the movie "Field of dreams" if you build it, they will come.

and demain is correct is it possible to offer it as an alternative arena? it might be worth a try. and while your at it add a score page with updates to get the score hounds back. :D

@al, Sorry I wasn't here to voice the paranoia for you. Do I sense you miss my skepticism? ;)

15. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

16. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Of course! :) I miss your they-changed-it's-FM-while-I-was-flying-it scepticism a lot ;)

I knew I got SOMETHING right :D

ah well, backup, backup, backup...

17. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Exec, but u completely missed point here.:confused:
    First u missed to post very important option for voting:

I WILL NOT force admins to change fh to 1.42, but I WILL PLAY it if admins do change it.
    or
    I will play if u publish 1.67 r3, with some fixed issues, and i will still play if u decide to go back to 1.42.

or even this one :

I will play 1.66 again.

Now, these are important options for poll. U cannot expect clear results if u post poll as urs , which is black-white. What does it mean when u say " I swear i will play 1.42 even if others wont" because its bullshit, no one will play alone. Or what does it mean" i will quit if fh goes back" , thats too much of extreme dont u think? I personally couldnt vote for 1.42 because it makes me feel like im forced to .
    And now look at ur post.. It always looks like u will do anything just so no one will bother u again with this game. I dont know why r u doing this, because ur in arena very good guy, u dont need to be ironic person in here.
    And that is the point, to get back players to arena not to forum.
    Those names who voted for "different ways" are mostly ppl who come just to forum, and that is not since 1.67 , they left earlier.
    Take my advice if u want, help us do something now, because if we dont, this game will finally wall apart.
    Fh with 1 map , with no balance at all in planes models and dmg model, and roster 15:5 is going to die real soon..:(

18. thug

thug Well-Known Member

Really? 20 people still play?

Masochists ... must be

19. ozemale6t9

ozemale6t9 Well-Known Member

1.42 did have the Li2, all versions have since I started playing here. IIRC, it was during version 1.42 that I scored highest number of field captures. I flew only Li2 one TOD, and was constantly kept busy by field closures, scoring 174 captures for the TOD. You only needed 5 troopers in to capture a field (not sure about now, haven't played for a couple of releases), so it was possible to capture a couple of close fields in one sortie (at least in the Li2).

In that version, commandos were virtually ineffective, such that they were rarely used. Ottos gave some degree of protection, as you were able to set their parameters, so attacking such a plane had some degree of uncertainty, but they were not all that accurate unless enemy was <D2. You didn't have the situation, as in the last time I flew, where an enemy could sit just outside otto range and shoot your arse off without otto even seeing him.

Can't remember if we even had hmacks, certainly didn't have htanks, and most (not all) planes were fun to fly. The P38 was my favourite non-transport, and true to life, it could actually fly with one engine out, and spins were sometimes recoverable in this situation. Last time I flew it, spins were unrecoverable, period. They happened if you shifted your head sideways, and flying was almost impossible even with two good engines.

I have many a fond memory of this version, the best of which were my many battles with gawong (yep, I remember you.....bastard). Him in his weapon of choice, me I my poor little bus sneaky into enemy territory at a few meters AGL. Otto would shout out con, and I'd know damn well who it was. Most times he'd get the upper hand and I'd have to start again, but sometimes, otto would strike a fatal blow, and the radio bar would light up with has usual response "BASTARD".

But I reminisce....I would consider flying again, if we were to revert to a simpler time.

regards, Oz

Last edited: Jul 9, 2009
  20. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

Clearly, there have been mistakes made in development of the game (from what I've read in this post at least). The least we could do is make a backup copy of the current version :p and then revert back to 1.42 or whatever for a couple of weeks, month, 3 months, whatever until we start to get a feel for what is better. If we like the 1.42 version, then that is great and the game will move forward from there. If not, then we can load up the backup copy of the current version and continue there. Yes, it is a lot of work, but it seems now that it is necessary work. I haven't been playing this game as long as most everyone else here, but even I noticed that there was a significant drop in gameplay quality.

More to the point, the forums are just full of hot air about how the 30mm was too uber, the a6m does blah blah blah whatever. The developers responded to that the best they could because they thought it was what we, the players, wanted. In other words, we moaned the game into what it is today, and now we see that whiners suck. Granted that there were some other "suspicious happenings," what is most easily seen are the complaints on the forums. Why don't we just revert to 1.42 and take an objective view of the game? Take the gameplay of 1.42 at face value and if there are any aspects of the game that rub you raw, save a track of it so that we can all see it. That was the way things happened when I very first started, then it turned into the admins giving in to every whim found in the forums. I have no idea what it was like before I came to FH, but it seems to me that was how the system worked.

So from now on, why don't we just save several tracks of the things that piss us off about the game for submission to the forums before we ask for another change. This way we can all see how much you suck at flying. :p After all, there are way too many variables to keep track of in the middle of combat for someone to pop on the forums saying that they have scientific fact that the a6m should be slower than this or that. The only way this can be established is if we start saving tracks and then submit them when questions arise.

If you're worried that your secrets will be given away with this doctrine, I say to you tough luck. Doing things this way will make you a better pilot because it will force you to do better no matter what the verdict is on the question at hand. It will force you to cope, either by exposing your tactic and demanding that you create new tactics, or there will be an issue with the game that will be fixed and then everyone has to deal with a new, hopefully more realistic flight model or whatever was wrong that has been corrected.

I know all of this crap is old hat, but it just seems to me like we forgot to do this somewhere along the way and we ended up in a world of hurt. Now it seems necessary to make such a drastic change as going back to 1.42 because we have no real record of where it went wrong.

Compliments, comments, queries, and complaints to the usual address.