For Aike message

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Supong, Jun 20, 2000.

1. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

We need some S3 type events in the practice arena.

I would love to see some air races like the ones the menacing ferrets hosted at IEN.

2. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

S3 ?

3. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Imo as hmack improvement.

4. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

5. big-jo

big-jo Well-Known Member

people flying in those squads weren t rookies, they were the best of each squad who joined for a 1 life each ToD

6. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

You wouldn't know. All of this happened way before the regulars who now crowd the sky took to playing WBFH.

-Z

7. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

You don't understand what that squad was about! It's main pilots were FH aces and welcomed newcomers to play along (and learn). People always flew in teams of at least 2. SA. Cover. Squad tactics. Dragging, paired attacks, always with survival in mind (team included).

My many concepts of FH stupidity is different and includes:
    - People that scramble, die, scramble, die.
    - Fly alone, bleeds energy in furball then dies in HO.
    - Friends who make fun of newbie that wants to learn.

If someone died early, bad luck! He will have to go back to his main callsign and fly with his main squad instead of JG54. And that's really bad luck, because hunting in a team with great aces such as those I flew with is a real pleasure! :)

8. Cabron

Cabron Well-Known Member

"S3" means "squad select series".

They are large scale scenarios that attract huge amounts of pilots into IEN's arena.

Since IEN's arenas are populated near the same as the freehost arena (maybe more but not much), then there might be a lot of pilots who would enjoy "coming back" to fly the WB2 flight models and gameplay.

http://www.squadselectseries.com/

Here is an example of a menacing ferrets air race challenge.

The other race scenarios are at the bottom of the page.

Makes me kind of wish wb2 had drop tanks, though.

A screenshot of a small S3 furball.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  9. demian

demian Well-Known Member

Where is adrenaline in flying 10 sorties with 1 nick , then after u die, u go and fly 250 more with another?

If that was briliant idea , why he didnt make squad of tough bomber pilots to fly in the same manner? You dont know? Well, let me tell you. Because IT IS RATHER EASY STARTING FIGHTER 3 FIELDS FAR FROM FRONT LINE, CLIMBING TO 6KM AND VULCHING. Yeah , i know what aces u talk about, i was reading forum, and found all those aces not understanding why is wrong to vulch landing planes:)
    Let me tell you something Bananaman:

MANY MANY pilots flying today , that i know of, ARE aces. Not like those aces in ur time, when was normal for regular pilots to make unknown dogfighters webpages , to be arrogant lamers and to spray all over web their ideology .I didnt believe ppl saying there were pilots who flew at 9km in order to kill something, to have advantage :)
    Heh, in the end, I am here, and not only me, i believe anyone who flies today on wb fh would be more than happy to accept the challenge of 1 vs 1 dogfight to measure level of skill...And for once to determine what did you learn on fh, what good did you bring here , and do u have any credentials to talk about past times:)

10. Zembla JG13

You're just assuming survival is impossible.

You talking about Pietas? I can name you a bunch of people who wouldn't vulch. They'd let you climb to their altitude and fight you on an equal basis.

Of course, this was before dweebery really hit the fan.

I made that unknown.dogfighter webpage. I was 16 if I recall correctly. I felt I had learned a great deal, actually, it was just summing up what other authorities had concluded to be the path of least resistance to fly without getting shot down everytime.

You're going to call that arrogant? Or lame? What the fuck is up with that?

There isn't even any ideology in it, where did you get that? I don't care if you boom 'n zoom, turn 'n burn, or dive 'n die. It's a fucking game. It shouldn't be perceived as anything other than one of the zillions of guides you can find on gameFAQs.

There's no need to fly at 9km, there's no need to fly at 5km, there's no need to fly at **km. You just fly higher than your opposition, per definition, or faster, if you're in an energy fighter. If you can't turn with them, you're going to have to manage your energy smarter than them. If it turns out some of their planes retain E much better than yours, then yes, you need an advantage.

Though I've seen many people cry victory without ever coming in from an advantageous position.

Taking things personally much?

Challenging me to a 1vs1, years after I quit flying here? I went up in the air today. Someone got a maneuver kill off me because I was flying too fast and couldn't pull up.

Big fucking wonder people who fly daily would kick my ass. Are you so desperately looking for recognition or something?

All I said was that the game was played differently back then. People actually undertook raids, and had to climb to altitude, to get to the top of the food chain. There were very regularly more than a hundred people online in the arena. Makes for a whole different approach to the game.

I really don't get why you take all this stuff so personal :rolleyes:

[edit]Did you even check that website BTW? Or did you just decide, "making a website is bad"? Or do you have some complex about me saying I used to play this game? Is there something that makes you feel cornered when I talk about the times this game was played, before you were around?

-Z

Last edited: Feb 6, 2010
  11. gil---

gil--- FH Beta Tester

Scenarios and promotion in web could be even better than new DM :).

12. Funtom

Funtom Well-Known Member

Can I land without gear, Cabron?

13. Zembla JG13

Don't be a fucking tool. Stand up for the stuff you told.

-Z

14. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

Demian just can't stand the fact that he missed the good times, and that they're not coming back.

I had the luck of catching the very last breaths of those good o' times, and I have yet to find a game with that kind of atmosphere. Today's WBFH doesn't even come close.

15. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

No wonder the Poles got stomped in the war. You're just going to give up like that? People just needed a break from the game for a little while. I even saw some turks flying a couple of days ago! Maybe after everyone gets burned out on IL-2 or whatever it is they're doing, they'll come back and then we can get back to business as usual. Who knows? Maybe the 302nd will come back and give me target practice again. :cheers:

16. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

There isn't a word in your post worth an on-topic reply, nor is the post on topic itself...

17. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

People say that to you because it's mostly true, al. ;)

18. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

It's not working, try harder.

19. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

20. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

Those 10 sorties are worth more than the 250. You're flying with people from different regular-squads. You're flying as a team. You're worried about your teammates because if they die, you'll lose good wingmen. You have the feeling of flying in the war. You need to use tactics such as intentional dragging, paired scissors, diversion, formation turns, team defense. I had great times with wingmen attempting different reactions against high cons. The adrenaline lies within the battleplan, made before takeoff. It even brings you benefits you don't imagine. And in the end, you flew 3 sorties that lasted long and were full of excitement and/or challenge. No brainless furballs, no cowardly vulching, no lame HMACKing. :kruto:

What makes you think people who manage E are vulchers? It's the same as saying people who takeoff from field under attack are deathstar otto abusers. It's too generic.

Making webpages about your squad was great for ambience. Without it, WB becomes just like Counter Strike, Quake or whatever: Connect, shoot at strangers, cuss and quit. I play DoD 1.3, btw. Great WWII shooter ;P
    And keep in mind that this is not about "pilots from MY time are better than pilots from YOUR time" or "MY dad is a policeman and he can arrest YOUR dad!" :p

What does "skill" mean to you? Is it how hard you can pull the joystick without stalling? Is it scoring deflection shots at a passing target? Is it doing crazy wheelbarrels without hitting the floor?
    To me, the pilot with greatest "skill" is the one who flies the "smartest". That means he knows every plane's strengths and weaknesses and plays to those rules. He adapts those rules to different situations when other factors come to play, such as enemy altitude, enemy numbers or presence of acks for example. He dives to make his enemy think he is an easy target, or he climbs to pretend he his a threat. He doesn't waste E or efforts that won't give him his victory. He is smart.
    That means a skilled pilot to me is flying at 9 km, turning hard, vulching, ditching, furballing or doing whatever if nobody can stop him. He is smart. If you're better, outsmart him. If you can't, he's too good for you. Whine! :~~

If you think skill in WB is 1 vs. 1, then you should be flying the MC202 and asking your enemy to do the same (don't forget to set the same fuel load). You should be BnZing with an i153 or TnBing with a me262 to show your "skill" :)
    Fairness is something for games like chess, fencing or tic-tac-toe. WB is all about different situations, different planes, different pilots. It's war, afterall! ;D

Last edited: Feb 9, 2010