P-51 CRASH RENO AIR RACE

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by looseleaf, Sep 17, 2011.

1. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Uh, mentioned what? What you mean?

I don't think I am genius... You thought so? Bless you!
    I only mentioned it so that my worshipers would realize I am not worthy.
    Sorry I let you down........

When the pilot, during his last few seconds alive realized, "Damn, I have made a pilot error!" or "Dam, I should have done a pre-flight check!" It was too late.
    The pilot knew for a second or two that something had failed.. I wonder if he thought, "OH Fuck! I am gonna d

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  2. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Dude;

Take a chill pill !

Do you have any idea how much that plane costs? Not just money, but machining parts, engines, maintenance ? tech inspections ?

How much of the original plane do you think is in the average Reno racer these days? Do you have any idea what it takes to get a air-worthiness certificate and what has to be done for that plane to pass inspection?

I would bet just in x-ray inspections that guy spends more than what you make or receive a whole year !!!!!

These planes are not less than a million dollars each and I would guess at least $100.000 a year replacing parts, depending on hours run.

Did you notice there was NO fire ? Hellava safetly system.

The plane lost its elevator trim tab- like broke-off. Can't remember if it was left or right, but yes, at 500mph or 800kph and 200 ft, that CAN ruin your whole day.

Pilot error? Yes, he should have said in bed, that would have prevented it.

You cannot imagine the cost, the car that these airframes get. They throw away parts on schedules even without inspection.

In WW2 there were these maintenance schedules: every X hours replace oil a fliter, xx hours compression test and valve job, replace hydraulic oil,,, etc.

then there was this thing called the control wire at the throttle stop.

The mechanics were told that when the plane came in and that control wire was broken, never mind, just pull the whole motor and go and get a new one.

Another time I was told this old check-airman testing his flights B-24s.

He had a problem with a set of the magnetos on one engine he takes it in and tells the chief mech to replace the mags on number x motor. The guy says yes sir and that he will check it out.

the pilot goes out for a test flight and does all the little tricks that kept him alive... and very soon after he brings the plan back in. He goes right to the chief with his .45cal and puts it into the face of the mechanic.
    He did not say 'CHECK THE MAGS" HE SAID REPLACE THEM. In fact had they not been replaced they woulld have taken a dump over Germany in the daylight. Imagine his embarrassment if that would have happened, How would could he have explained to his men that sgt, XXXX the lazy F**K had us all killed.

Don't remember why that reminded me of that story, but it is funny,

So yes, Hez, I do not think anyone is just going to call this one "pilot error" and I thnk its tragic but then again shit happens.

Hell you may not have read about in the Colusseum where the crowd wanted to see more elephant huntings in the arena, so they rounded-up the most elephants they ever got and when the gladiators started slaughtering elephant re-enacting Hannibal's invasion the elephants were being pushed too close together and one elephant got too close to one of the fire pits, so they started to stampede, it killed about 50 spectators. 54 if memory serves,
    well that sure didn't quite their taste in Hannibal's re-enactments, but they did have more fire crew in attendance and they used less elephants.....

3. Asmumy

Asmumy Well-Known Member

4. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

The guy was killed in a plane, that is a fail. Lots of airframes are retired and stay retired and never killed anyone while they were flyin and are now retired without havin killed anyone. Oh, some airframes fail. I think this one did, still if the pilot had more more room he might not have hit people. More room = more time those elphants were close in to the audience in Roma too, yep.
    I am chilled.
    I am havin fun.
    Good post yours.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2011
  5. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

6. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

hes a "paid smartie" a driving instructor. :D

7. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

8. Krok-

Krok- Well-Known Member

uncontrollable loop from speed near 800 km/h, after lost trimmer, no hydraulics in mustang, over g more 10, pilot have blacked out...

Last edited: Sep 21, 2011
  9. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Do fliers piloting race planes use G-Suits?

10. Higgns

Higgns Well-Known Member

Galloping ghost had just blown past Rare Bear convincingly when the trim tab fluttered, started flagging, and departed the plane.

The plane pitched up in a 11+ g pull which rendered the pilot unconscious for the duration of the event.

This has happened before but the pilot woke up at 9000 feet pulled himself of the floor, got back into his seat proper, and landed the plane.

It's amazing where you end up when suddenly weigh 1600 pounds.

Bob "hurricane" Hanna the multiple world champion motorcross racer is the guy who had this happen in 1998 and the only reason he recovered is because of the difference in configuration between his plane and galloping ghost lessened the G forces.

In the case of Jimmy Leeward and Galloping ghost, the G forces never relaxed and he did not wake up.

Nobody can handle an unexpected 11g pull and stay conscious.

If any of you want to know the facts, here is a link to the forums for the guys who race at reno.

http://www.aafo.com/hangartalk/forumdisplay.php?f=2

Last edited: Sep 22, 2011
  11. mumble

mumble Well-Known Member

NTSB preliminary might be out tomorrow, months or years until final report out. I'll just chill until the blame gamers finish their voodoo.

12. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

As an aside here, back during the summer I posted a link of Hannah riding back in the day here.

In MX, even today, he is revered/feared as the ultimate alpha rider. He says what he thinks (understatement). I remember being surprised-but-not-surprised that he got into flying after his MX-era accidents and retirement. Hadn't heard about this incident, though. Pretty wild.

13. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Well... it appears it was the elevator trim that broke-off and sent the plane vertical , rolled and went into the ground.

At that speed it must have been a considerable g-load and I would imagine the pilot blacked-out. or maybe experienced seat harness failure.

Who is to say if the planes were at alt 1,000 or 2,000 more he would have been able to recover....?

Let's hope the real cause is found and that the next race the tech requirements cover double or quadruple strength trim tabs, more distance for the grand stands , at least coming out of the corners... and maybe even a few more feet of altitude....

they can always make grand stand higher and further way... suspended by balloons ?