on cheating

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by -exec-, Jul 23, 2002.

1. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

2. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

It really is a sad day in warbirds now :(
    Never have i come to a flight sim so messed up with everything from cheaters to dishonorable acts. Just sad. No other words.
    I've been following this, and I think that cheating should definetel be stopped, no questions asked. But as of punishment, I think cheaters should be honorable and state that they did. I would have so much more respect for them. Then, the "price" of cheating could be brought down a bit, IF they admit it. Actual punishment, I don't know. Ridicule is obnoxious, and neverending. People think once a cheat, always a cheat. Never will ridicule fix it. Punishment should not be ridicule.

I was tired when I wrote this, sorry if it makes no sense.
    :cheers:

3. By-Tor

By-Tor Well-Known Member

Post the names...

Only way to fix all this recent mess is to start fresh and post the names. If the cheaters' cant handle the shame of continueing under thier old callsigns,then thier punishment will simply be having to choose a new name and start from scratch. If they are strong enough to apologize AND continue to use thier current callsign,I'll be impressed so with thier strength of character that I will forgive and wipe thier slate clean.
    I too have been acused of cheating,and would gladly have the names posted and know I am NOT on the list. No need to apologize for the accusations :D

:cheers:

4. -ptah-

-ptah- Guest

Names

Hello all

I am totaly for displaying nick names of all cheaters.
    For punishing... hmm its useles because they will log in under another nick so for them its nothing.
    But bringing those names on the day light will finaly end up all this about cheating.
    So brin' 'em out explicitly on this Forum.

ronin out.

The greatest thing in this world is not so much where we are, but in what direction we are moving!

5. thomba

thomba Well-Known Member

yepp, they will be brandmarked and, contrary to real life, the just have to use a new callsign to keep on flying WB w/o abusings, shame, etc.

i think, mostly of the called and convicted cheater wont post anything more in here. and By-Tor, its honorable if you will forgive them, but imho the majority of the community will not.

it obtains the admins to punish the cheaters, not the community....lynch law? and using this forum as a pillory is imho medieval.

just my 2 cents :mafia: according to law and order

6. modano

modano Active Member

cheats, names, blah, blah, puke

I've seen fine pilots called cheats.

You better have proof before you start naming names, or the ones you name in error will have been greatly wronged.

If you name ten names, and one of those names is not a cheat, but he is a good pilot who takes advantage of the best attributes of the planes he flies, maintains good SA, uses good communication with allies, and uses all resources to great effect, if you wrongly name him a cheat, then you damage your community greater than ten cheaters never named and never caught could ever do.

Is this a foreign concept to this community?

As for forgiveness, you all are entitled to think what you want. But, if you're not willing to forgive, you better not ever make a mistake ever.

7. --FFly--

--FFly-- Well-Known Member

Mr. EXEC!
    Russians pilots wanna read this subj too!
    Post this subj in RuForum plz! :)

Блин... простите за плохой прононс... :)

8. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

@blue,

I know dober doesn't cheat, come on, give us some proof, it's not because you got shot down that he's a cheater.

And about your streak, besides getting it by doing the first 40 kills with a special cockpit, you also hunted drones to increase your streak? In the end you had about 50 killed of them if I remember right...?

@promet,

I fly to survive, if that gets me good scores I'm happy, but of course I hate to have embarassing scores...

greetz, Zembla

9. heartc

heartc Well-Known Member

I also think the names should be made public, because of the reasons already mentioned. On the other hand, I have doubts that really every cheater can/could be identified. If I see a score which is simply impossible, especially when taking the tactics of the guy into consideration, and someone tells me "it´s sure now that he doesn´t cheat" it would mean nothing to me, except that the cheater is rather smart.

@blue: hrun was a cheater as well? When I was new to FH, I noticed that callsign because of repeative multiple victory messages in short time all the same like with the players I talked about in the other thread. I guess it´s some gunnery cheat.

heartc

10. -redw-

-redw- Well-Known Member

Re: cheats, names, blah, blah, puke

i think it ist a big risk and a great danger for our community - its remember at the witch-hunt in the middle ages - perhaps it is better if in the first step to make a dialog between "potental cheaters" and admins - why? - first: make shure this is a cheat or not - second: give a change to go back in the community with save one's face - if there no solution then the second step: publish the names

Last edited: Jul 24, 2002
  11. -afi--

-afi-- Well-Known Member

Something must be done

Hi all.

I agree that this could bring the fall of this community. Some ass will get pissed and accuse someone of cheating because he was shot down. :lamer: . And if some new rule is instituted where an accused cheater is somehow punished, there could be some serious stuff going on.

But now more than ever do I see a need for anti-cheat coding.
    Example:

Today I was flying my 109F, about 4k otw to F18 from F2. I look below and see a dot. I dive down on him, going 750 kmph. Its a P39. He i going straight and level. I level for a shot, but at D6 he shoots away, going twice as fast as me and the opposite direction. I think it was weird, but possible lag/warping. I immelman, and he is then going a slower speed again. I close on his 6, and a turnfight ensues. I get on his 6 wth the 109Fs better maneuverability, and he goes straight and level, and zooms away toward his base at probably 900 kmph. This was no normal acceleration. He went from slower than me (300 KMPH), to probably 90 kmph in .5 a second. Cheat? I think so. I saw the same P39 later do this to another gold. He zoomed away and outran a pack of diving 109s. Going twice the 109s speed. At least. :ass:

Never caught the name. No one could kill him.

Utter BS my friends, utter bs.

Regards

Mike AFI Marr

12. modano

modano Active Member

Guys that do that can't have the same level of satisfaction as the rest of us who fly fair.

Geez! I feel guilty on TOD day one, just for flying the snoopy plane. All the Me262 deaths make up for it though. ;)

13. -haupt

-haupt Well-Known Member

Ive been acused of cheating too, just like by-tor and some others i want their names.
    Give us the list, as by-tor said im sure i will not be on that list too. ;)
    And this will save me time from telling some of who acused me to shut the f*ck up or click here.

If developers/admins know the names and dont tell, they are messing up with who plays fair and have been unfairly accused of cheating and are YES protecting the cheaters.
    But honestly i do believe its just a matter of time until we get the list.

14. -ALW-

-ALW- Well-Known Member

Agreed.

An idea just came to me as I was reading these posts.
    If each ID used in WB has an IP tied to it technically, and you find the culprit, that ID should be tied to that one IP and rendered unusable if the user reinstalls his OS. Blocking the IP is what I would think possible. And an idea long lived before WB was where ID's within the sim "fall off" the list after 90 days or more and someone else could use it again.
    7/25/02 10:00 PM

Last edited: Jul 26, 2002
  15. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

Not all I.P.s are fixed, unless you have a "live" connection or assign your own I.P. your ISP assigns u one when you log onto them. This happens with all modems, most ADSL's and some Cable connections.

Malino

16. Snoopy

Snoopy Well-Known Member

IP's not definative

Malino your idea while looking good on the surface lacks understanding of how IP's are assigned. Most dial up IP's are assigned from a pool. So you almost never get the same IP twice in a row when you dial in.

DSL IP's last anywhere from 2 hours to 2 years. All one needs to do is shut the machine off for a couple of hours after releasing their IP and when they turn it back on they will usually get a different IP.

Cable Modems vary as well see DSL above. But most change about one every 6 months.

Bottom line you could only disable the name and IP combo. If you block the IP only you could end up blocking some other user who has the same ISP, and you would probably not block the user you don't want back.

See you in the air.

Snoopy

P.S.

Modano read your private messages!

17. Malino

Malino Well-Known Member

errr, isn't that what I said just using not as many words?

Malino

18. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Score cards

Is it possble to make it so the score card that one can see from within the game (and is echoed at the FH site) cannot be reset until the TOD ends?

19. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

soon we'll have ten times the number of accounts. just because people want to restart with other nick ;-)

i dont see why to forbid clearing anyway. tell me what you think. lets discuss (or throw away time. depends on your values) :)

20. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Score not nick.

I want to know if I am number 72 of a 72 kill streak.

And even funnier?:
    I want to know if I am number 312 of a 312 kill streak.

I want to know if the guy who just shot me has a gunnery average of 0.40.

Etc.