Anyone help me? Suse 9.1: I want Targetware

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by biles, Dec 2, 2004.

1. spaceb

spaceb Well-Known Member

tar xvf tarfile.tar

This will extract the contents of the archive into your current working directory.

Then you run

./configure

then

make

and then (you usually need root permissions for that)

make install

....... Poor linux bastards :D

2. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Hey, you forgot about the steeenkin gunzip. Nevermind, I knew about tar and gunzip back in the old days [slackware 95.... groan] :rolleyes:

S010600e029834af3:~/Desktop/js/joystick-1.2.15 # ./configure
    bash: ./configure: No such file or directory
    S010600e029834af3:~/Desktop/js/joystick-1.2.15 #
    :rolleyes:

Yep, all that stuff I already know. And I know all about superuser and SU and root and user permissions and that stuff.
    What I don't know how to deal with is

No such file or directory
    Is configure a script? Is it specific to the source code or is it some C++ routine hidden in the GCC shit that I am too scared to fuck around with?
    Is it something that IS part of the GCC package? What the hell am I doing wrong?
    I don't DO C or C++ but I can enter commands as well as the next guy. I am stopped in my tracks with cryptic error messages really no better or worse than the old DOS standby error:
    Bad command or file name

Sure, I am gonna get it. In a couple years I will happily hack away in my [by then] familiar nix box.
    I know it is only a matter of time and really, this is NOT bothering me, it is intriguing me, teasing me. I am having fun. Yep.
    I remember the good old days when IBM/MSDOS gave us 'directories' and how fuckin wierd that was.
    I remember foolling with commands like
    subst
    and
    park
    [don't ever do that]

For now, besides the really inflammed rhoids I got, the thing I want at most is the compilation of the fuckin joystick drivers I got here in source bastard code.

3. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Firefox looks good.
    I got something called
    http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/firefox/releases/1.0/linux-i686/en-US/firefox-1.0.installer.tar.gz

It was, sigh..... one of them fuckin targzipped thingies that scares the crap out of me.
    So I untargunzipped it.
    Then I clicked on the 'mystery icon' I could see in the file manager thingie.
    And it asked me if I wanted to install it in ...path.../desktop
    NO NO, I didn't!!!
    So I waffled and told it to install into .../.../usr/bin/
    And it did and it then did an install and it seems to be all in there nicely and it works...
    Now, what the HELL did I do right?????

It is a nice fast browser... I like it with this OS.

4. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
  5. Red Ant

Red Ant Well-Known Member

Usually it's simply just a shell script, yeah. If you step into the directory and do a 'ls -l', does it not have a file called configure in it? :confused: It should have IMO.

6. bazura

bazura Well-Known Member

The configure, make, etc process is for installing software from source code. TW distributes its software in binary form, so you can't configure nor compile anything, you are given "configured and compiled" soft. If you are curious, packages distributed as source code usually have installation instructions like this:

http://www.bind9.net/manual/openldap/2.2/autoconf.html

Provided you are eager to know, there is plenty of documentation to become a power user in Linux from level 0. One good thing though, is that you can learn in the way, Linux is more or less self-documented:

http://www.tldp.org/LDP/intro-linux/html/sect_02_03.html

E.G. man tar

In the not so far future you may be interested in, for example, optimizing your kernel to upgrade the performance of the system without spending money, etc., these are things geeks usually do :).

greetings

P.S. About MS Internet Explorer in Linux, one friend of mine has it running by means of wine . He says this way he can access some pages that only can be seen with MSIE.

7. spaceb

spaceb Well-Known Member

I'm an old DOS user too... good old times :)

8. biles

biles Well-Known Member

I remember buying falcon 3 and working for a week trying to get enough DOS memory out of the old 386SX I had. 640k doesn't sound like much. And it isn't.
    I recall the WONDER I first experienced in successfully getting the mouse driver to load into high memory. I felt like a champ.
    I remember tuning smartdrive and speeding up disk access by a whopping 5%.
    I remember my modem and mouse using the same interrupt. Took me a year to figure out how to connect to a dial-up BBS the old 800baud one I had in my trash 80 never gave me problems, then again, i don't think it was capable of giving me problems, seeing as the trash 80 had no mouse.
    Remember EGA graphics?
    That was so cool.