Disabling Gunstat

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by gawong, Jul 6, 2000.

1. gawong

gawong Well-Known Member

Christiansted, St. Croix U.S. Virgin Islands
    To my surprise a few days ago when I attempted to enable gunstat, I found that it had been disabled. I asked why and was advised that many pilots complained about the use of gunstat. What's the problem using gunstat? What possible disadvantage could gunstat provide to actual combat situations. Either you've hit or not hit target or have been hit or not hit by an enemy. Please re-enable the gunstat it was a great supplement to the game. I really respect the hosts response to players request, particularly for free play, but sometimes I think players whine like babies. I see guys cussing over being legitimately killed. If being killed is a problem dont play. That's what war is all about. And if I havent said it lately, you Gods rock!!!!!!!!!

2. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

Gunstat is disabled because developers are tired of all these screams about bad and unlogical gunnery.

Finally, developers decided that logging all the gunstat (directly to the server) is better way that listening to flame the players raise.

Sorry.

------------------
    Luck
    Yedyge aka exec[228] aka Killer Crayon
    mail2duc@stones.com

3. astral

astral Member

Hmmm...but gunstat was good to see if u had hit something...... I will miss it

Astral

4. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

ah so the gunnery wines aren't new...? :cool:

btw, I miss gunstat too :shuffle:

however unreal it might be

greetze, Zembla

5. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

i thought i would die without gunstat, but now im actually glad they dont allow it in MA ;)

6. beerme

beerme Well-Known Member

I too thought that I couldn't live without gunstat, but quickly learned to live without it. Now i would be against ractivating it. showhits tells you when you hit if not who and what part of their plane and most importantly doesn't fill the radio buffer like gunstat did.

7. Kutya

Kutya Banned

Why?

8. -nicae-

showhits could go away too ;)

makes you pay more attention to how you shoot with each gun :)
    and there is always the mistery: did you hit him enough?
    maybe you can pull out of a fight that way ;)

9. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Showhits doesn't answer the question "did I hit him enough?", it answers the question "did I hit him?"

I don't rely on showhits for any purpose but one: did I hit the enemy?

greetze, Zembla

10. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

Personally speaking, i find it difficult to identify the different bits of enemy planes that i see flying off when i hit a con. IMO it would have been much easier IRL to identify what you have hit on the enemy but this is a little more difficult in the game.

For that reason alone, i would like to see gunstat enabled. I assume tho there was good reason for disabling it so no complaints here.

-glas-

11. -nicae-

youre supposed to see with your own eyes. look for the yellow pings.
    "but i tried a snapshot, and he was under my nose! i cant tell if i hit him or not! couldnt see the yellow pings!"
    you werent supposed to! and now you can tell if you hit! cheat!!
    besides, you fired all guns, and now you know which caliber you hit him with?! cheat!!
    you hit 1x30mm, now you know it was enough to kill. cheat!!
    now you know how many 7mm, 12mm, 20mm rounds you hit. in RL you would have to estimate. here you know exact value! cheat!!

:)

@glas:
    gunstat was removed because it was made only for debugging purposes, so it was only made available in MA for a while, to test aike's new (at that time, of course) gunnery.

about dmg: sure, in RL you have better eye resolution, but you have tracers of smoke, shaking planes, head positioning, clouds, detailed background with sun reflections (like of sun on water), G tolerance, shaking plane due to shooting, wind, blablabla :)

12. Glas

Glas Well-Known Member

But despite all those drawbacks, you still have a better field of vision, yes? ;)

-glas-

13. -nicae-

that turns out to be a disadvantage, actually ;)

the con continues to occupy the same ~5 degrees in your vision, but your brain has to assimilate an extra 90 degrees of extra information :p