Glider that I designed

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by tazman88, Mar 18, 2011.

1. tazman88

tazman88 Well-Known Member

What do you guys think?
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    :mafia:

2. tazman88

the cockpit is a bit wide for my liking but this will have to do for now

3. tazman88

Im trying to design some propellers for the next plane Im going to make, but I want to make sure I include all the mechanics. So it may be a few weeks

Last edited: Mar 18, 2011
  4. tazman88

I will also like to add some rivets along the skin of the aircraft

5. looseleaf

looseleaf Well-Known Member

Very cool !

Why rivets? Wouldn't that make for more drag?

What is the glide ratio? Seems to be a bit of a high speed glider, no?

Kind of reminds me of the P-51 laminar flow wing.

Will it have a caproni style flip-up motor/prop thing mid fuselage?

6. tazman88

Thats true! Yeah I probably should leave rivets out.

To find the glide ratio, I will have to do a flow test on this thing. Hopefully I will get to do that tonight.

I copied the checkered tail paint scheme idea from the P51 but the airfoil design is actually the NACA 230 series which was used in the F4f wildcat. Now that I think about it, it probably makes way more sense to use a laminar flow airfoil to minimize drag. This is first time I am doing this so I kind of just put stuff together lol

7. looseleaf

8. tazman88

Thanks! I will watch the vids!

9. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

I have some software allowing me to design things like that. I haven't investigated it though.
    I bet you the NACA wings aren't made for little tiny things like that glider. When you are making tiny thing, the air behave differently, than it does in large objects. I don't remember what that is called. I do recall that you cannot simple scale down the cross section of an NACA thingie and have it work on a tiny tiny scale.....
    Just need a low drag leading edge and trailing edge and a certain angle of incedence and the glider should work fine without any need for anything more than a flat plane for a wing.
    See, a powered airplane needs to have the curves, so the forward movement creates lift. I think that when a glider is just using gravity to keep it's airspeed, the curve on top and flat below just adds drag.....

I dunno if I said that right.

10. tazman88

lol this is a full scaled plane, it may not look like it but the wingspan is 6m, I guess that means I did a horrible job modeling it because it looks like a toy hahah

11. hezey

hezey Well-Known Member

Oh, hey. If it works, it was made correctly. If it doesn't work or doesn't work well, you can have some fun learning!

I made a BF109 f, made it from balsa and spruce. It was about meter and half, maybe two meters long and as wide wingspan - Everything looks bigger when remembered from childhood. It was pretty big to me, anyway. I was, I think, 11 years old.
    It was scale except for the camber. I didn't do that math, that was done for me by the company that made the prints for the model.
    I rigged it for rubber band.
    I didn't like dealing with the torque, the model would roll over and I damaged it a couple times, so gave up trying to power it and used it as a glider. It worked wonderfully.
    We had a three story house on a hill and it had a peaked roof. Across the road was hay. On the other side, were some windbreaker trees and then houses behind them.
    I climbed that roof and let go that nice model one day and the wind caught it and took it away, past the windbreak trees. I never saw it again.

Shit. Now you got me thinking.
    I am retired. I could easily built a balsa/spruce model. It would be fun. I think I would make it scale though, not for flying. You can get a LOT of scale model for a little money when you get the packaged kits made from balsa/spruce....
    Hmmm. I think I am gonna go talk to my mom [who kind of takes care of me since I got sick].

:)

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  12. looseleaf

Dammm.... now you got me remembering.

My first (and last) balsa plane was a Fw190D.

It was a partial die cut kit and I had to a lot of building and cutting from the blue prints.

It was a horrible learning curve even though I had won awards making plastic models as a kid.

Covering the frame with that tissue was awful. However I did a super fine job with flat spray paints to get that camouflage coloring. It covered the lousy tissue job.

Later I saw that plastic shrink wrap stuff that one uses the hair dryer/heat gun.

Man what a difference !

Hope you build one and show us. Just keep the place ventilated when you glue things together.

Oh... and keep those exact-o knives sharp!

:cheers:

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXM389

http://www.historicaviation.com/product_info.po;jsessionid=AkZOVF4XlzDLdKI_DUp4N8BL?ID=3819

http://www.google.com/products/cata...IiqETZLLLZG8sQOGk932AQ&sqi=2&ved=0CCcQ8wIwAg#

http://miniglowplanes.com/index.php?l=product_list&m=13

13. tazman88

hmmmm, maybe I will look into making wood models now

14. Mcloud

Mcloud Well-Known Member

Not a bad looking plane....You might want to try and make it a little more aerodynamic...
    ;)

Uhh anyway..If you ever got bored of it you could always break the wings off and use it as a fishing lure.

;)

[​IMG] "Fuck! My lip is caught! Fuck I hate this lake."

:joystick: :D

Last edited: Mar 19, 2011
  15. tazman88

This is just a 3D software rendering so I have not built it yet, but its a full scale glider , not a model glider so using it as a fishing lure is not possible:flyer:

16. looseleaf

Sort of depends what size fish you're hunting....:rolleyes: