Google Earth

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by RayV, Aug 13, 2006.

1. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

Unfortunately biles I beleive in that based on at least 65% of intelectual interactions I have had with Canadians since I came here and that will be about 10 years of enjoyment. Most of them are just around "$" and nothing else is interesting in their lives. Who need Math, History, Art... fuck... that would be their statement. Honestly I feel sorry for gret part of kids squized out from schools with very poor litracy... I was laughing each time I was asked "How the hell you know that?" coming toward me from diferent ( bottom to top ) levels of intelectual stairways.

2. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

But keeping on the Earth - Satelite topic here is something "at least for me interesting", but you can take peak if you wish.
    At this longitude/latitude, I mean precisely at that point is the building I grew up back in Europe.
    +43°50'57.84",+18°23'55.14"

3. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Hehe. True.
    I know many people from other lands who have moved here 'for a better life' and then, after a few months, they start to wonder what they have gotten themselves into.
    Yes, a large part of the Canadian way is "the pursuit of money."
    People hurry about and they think you are strange if you are just sitting at a bench [if you can find a bench].
    I have a friend who is 33 years old. He looks like hell. he has two jobs and falls asleep spontaniously and has crushing responsibilities. I have told him, in all honesty, that I do not belive he will live to enjoy the fruits of his labour.
    And he says, "I know. I know."
    But he just keeps it up.
    I am as poor as a church mouse. I eat three good meals every day, even if I am living in a camp on the river bank. Food, at least, costs little here. And books do not cost anything to borrow from a library.... yet.
    I am happy. But my family is disgusted with me. "Why don't you get a decent job, Brad?"
    Hmmm. I have a 'decent job.' I have little stress. I don't have to travel far to get to work. I own no automobile and never have. I walk and use public transit. I have two bills I must pay each month and rent for my hovel.
    And I feel great!
    What the hell is a 'decent job?'
    Or TWO decent jobs?

I know where Peru is.
    Most of my friends know it is in South America, but couldn't point to it on a map.
    I hear things like "I have no time to read books."
    No time?

Ya only live once. That is all the time ya got.

I won't sell cars.
    I would rather talk to squirrels and watch that baby crow growing up where I go to work.

49° 12' N 122° 52' 13" W
    where the baby crow and his mom and dad live
    49° 11' 36" N 122° 51' 58"W
    My hovel

4. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Here's where I was standing a couple of hours ago:

35°54.680N,79°3.270W

But I'm not there now, so a JDAM won't take me out ;)

I was standing there with a tablet PC recording wireless access points, with a USB GPS unit. Like so:

[​IMG]

I picked up about 70 wireless access points just walking to my car, then driving the five minutes home. So to people who use wireless hubs at home, be careful what you name your APs! Some people put their street address in there, others their names! And lock 'em down ;)

But you can get these cheap civilian GPS units for about $60, then do all sort of fun mapping things, like follow yourself around and then map your movements. Lots of privacy issues involved, though ;)

5. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

you can't resell your excess bandwith, so why not give it away?
    is a great way to get access to other people's subscription content.

6. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

also, it is summer, your time is better spent eating fresh fruit & looking up women's short skirts.
    wardriveing is wintertime fun

7. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Not a bad suggestion, but I certainly can't do that while working ;)

8. Rainer

Rainer Well-Known Member

13 34 28.57 N 144 55 20.04 E

Anyone who has played MS CFS2 will recognize this when they get there:
    1 22 50.94 N 173 08 43.19 E (I think)

9. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

... ahem... out of my always curious nature, why you were doing that.
    Is that part of your job or... just hoby....;)

10. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

A little of both. We are working on location-based services for faculty/students, so we are involved with determining where our users are. Then we provide them with services that are tailored to their current location. And also what computing assets are available for them to use per-location (task-oriented computing).

But a lot of it is obviously dependent upon the user platform, and then we need to reason over the location informers (GPS, WiFi triangulation, RFID, Bluetooth, cell phone tower tri, etc.). So I wander around a lot and try to make this s#!t work, heh :)

11. ronin

ronin Well-Known Member

I bet WiFi triangulation works the most.
    On 60 bucks GPS units... One of my friends heard story that the guy found one of them (GPS) in his old car. Dude just wanted to fix stuf by him self and run in to it hehe.... Who and why put it there is(not) mistery... he he he.

12. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

WiFi tri is the least accurate, because you have to have a repository of APs matched to reliable coordinates (at least that's how most of it is done). :) But if the coords are not perfect, and they not normally are, you end up up with potential errors of 100 meters or so. GPS still rules if you want positioning with less than a meter of innacuracy :) Even indoors it'll work if you do it properly and with enough processing power. That's the challenge now.

Now think about digital compasses (etc.), combine them with GPS, and you will be able to determine not only location, but also orientation of the user's device (assuming they are cooperating). That's really cool, 'cause then you can combine altitude readings from GPS with orientation, and provide location info for mutiple-story buildings. Unfortunately, in America the retarded service providers don't give us those devices for regular users. People I know buy hardware from Canada, because our stupid providers don't sell capable hardware ;)

In Japan and Europe they're way ahead of us, as is usual these days :( Well, it isn't 1996 anymore ;)

13. biles

biles Well-Known Member

YES!
    me good research guy maybe? Dunno. My brain bin hurtin for couple days since I saw this:

[​IMG]

No, not the zeke. I have seen them before. What tickled my noodle was the ship beneath.
    hehe.

I tracked the fucker down:
    29 45 22N 95 05 23W

WAY COOL!

Ask me how I did it...

14. biles

biles Well-Known Member

21 21 43N 157 57 12W

!!!!!!!!!
    I love lookin at these things.

Only decent one we got in Canada is some tribal Class destroyer moored in Ontario somewhere, I think it is called Haida. I never been on it or near it, but I seen some pictures of it and it is dwarfed by that huge yankee hardware.
    Any larger ship Canada ever had were sold to Gillette.
    We even had carriers at one time. Until Pierre Trudeau fucked us all in the ass.

15. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Can you see the battleship North Carolina? :) It's a nice place to visit, and not just for the ship. Great area...

16. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

Really, that is amazing! Can't believe we lived without this technology ten years ago.

I do hope that "someone" is making sure that not everything is visible, though. "Ain't nothing secret no more" ;) Good thing the Japanese didn't have Google products in '41!

17. biles

biles Well-Known Member

Yep. There are things that ya can't see.
    Some things are blacked out on request.
    There are some sites you can go to that are dedicated to finding those blacked out places. I can't name any off the top of my head.

Oh, and what the fuck is wrong with google Earth?
    the search function seems totally buggered.
    I type "Orkney Islands" and am returned an error.
    I type "Microsoft HQ" and all that happens is it stays in the city I am lookin at and shows various, unrelated things.
    It cannot locate Africa's "great Rift Valley."
    Maybe the bootlegged version I have is faulty...

I am gonna go get the stripped down free version and see if it still fucks me over.

18. Uncles

Uncles Well-Known Member

N -S &A& knows all, it's amazing....

19. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

What's the sunken ship? Some memorial? Or an accident?

20. biles

biles Well-Known Member

USS Arizona :rose: