Guess the plane LXXXVI

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Szymon, Apr 15, 2006.

1. Szymon

Szymon Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  2. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

experiment to make level flight compression in a p-40?

3. Szymon

Szymon Well-Known Member

close roland close, try again :)

4. RolandGarros

RolandGarros Well-Known Member

p-40 based glider to ferry merlin engines?

5. gandhi

gandhi Well-Known Member

merlin based glider to ferry p-40s?

6. Szymon

Szymon Well-Known Member

Correct

P-40 probably M with two merlins engines

7. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

geez... incredible bastard...

8. -cbfs-

-cbfs- Well-Known Member

Where the flowers bloom like madness in the spri-i
    Can we have some more images?

(if you have any of course)

A very good picture and kudos to Roland for finding it!

:)

9. Szymon

Szymon Well-Known Member

I have only one picture at this time from "Squadron Signal no. 26 P-40 Warhawk in Action". A try search more in books.

Belowe picture write: it is a twin-engined design warhawk. aircraft seems like P-40C s/n 41-13456 but canopy is middle style like D version. Both engines is merlins tyle F. Right side of right engine has ma sharko mouth.

I think it is build by the mechanics from damaged planes. Rear of engines looks like handmade production:) If it be a prototype by Curtiss - they used a new parts (vide shark mouth picture on right engine). I dont now what designe has front of this monster - maybe 6x .050 brownings :) but 6 brownings in wings that will be correct in my opinion.

If it is fly? I don't know, but look at the propellers. They are very near itself.
    Mayby it is only model plane build from damaged planes to pretend a new type plane over pacific.

10. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    Long time ago this forum had a bad bad samizdat plane.
    I saw it, I puzzled over it, I looked all over the internet. Never found out for myself and don't recall anyone on the forum answering, but I might have forgotten to look, the thread is from, I think, the Eighties.
    It was one of them Old Guys here who put it in some "Guess The Plane' thingie.
    Either that, or we have now reached a point where everything that can be done is and we are now in re-runs.

After all this fuckin time, I got an answer. Thanks, guy whose name I am too lazy to look for, the guy who posted, um.
    Wait:

Oh, what is the answer?
    We were supposed to GUESS the plane?
    Name it, NAME it. Saying it was 'an obvious variant of some sort of obvious boulton-paul thing' or 'that thang shore looks like a hienkel of some sort, yep,' just won't do.
    We gotta NAME it.
    SO what we gonna call this thing, what WAS it called?

YP-4040 Thalidomide

Last edited: Apr 16, 2006
  11. biles

biles Well-Known Member

49deg 11min 35.97sec N, 122deg 51min 57.65min W
    And yer all fuckin wrong.

It was a cake. There was a big dinner coming up fer to celebrate General Tooey Spaatzes birthday. Cpl Tanner and Bozzini had a load of white flour they thought the could hijack and then flip for decent money. No one thought about
    Getting Wheat Flour TO THE PLACE they is gonna find someone interested in BUYING IT on the black market, like, for instance, nowhere NEAR Boise, ID, which is where the thing was make.

So they made a cake for Tooey. Actually, the fuselage and tail empanage are authentic, the left engine was hardened, sun dried White Sifted Baking flour (Tanner nor Bozzini weren't up to hijacking 275,000 eggs and a tank of vanilla extract, so this is what it is because of wartime economies...0 gently folded into shape, like a barbarian strudel.
    The right engine is Marzipan, which for some strange reason, the USAF had in enourmous quantities.
    They were issuing it by the gallon to kitchens all over the US Armed Forces. Troops were so SICK of vanilla. Vanilla Soup. Creamed Vanilla on toast. Vanilla beef on toast. Vanilla Spam on toast.
    So their was a heavily vsnilla laced marzipan made the right engine. The thing could not have flown, no way. The engines were Bad Army Cooking.
    And \Tooey skipped visiting that bas, by Boise there, so he didn't even see the thing. These are just some pictures a couple guys from the mess hall took before they pushed it into a hole.

1 person likes this.
  12. -al---

-al--- Well-Known Member

that was cruel biles :)