Hello rust!

Discussion in 'Tactics and Training' started by illo, May 26, 2000.

1. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

Do you know optimal climbspeed of diffent 109 variants in WB? That info could be useful when disengaging from battle with low E state.(i mean as low as your opponents)

In fight im satisfied with straight vertical zoom&climbs as those make your opponent flat turning followable(i dive one can allways turn inside any plane that flat turns to evade). So i need that info only for escaping because ive had ca. 6 deaths from spit trying to stay with my climb spraying my elevator or stab off from d4-8. Or maybe i just try to climb in spiral(i think this is different than the spiral climb maneuver, so correct me if im wrong). In climbing turn i tighten my turn until spit or what else is following stalls then i climb one more circle pull up even more and stall on him...this gives me much time to aim. It works well but i had forgotten it or something [​IMG]not done it much lately.

bb rust see you around [​IMG]

------------------
    -illo-

2. -rust-

-rust- Well-Known Member

illo, I am supposing u r speacking about Spit V vs 109F engagement. Here is two possible situations. The best is the Spit at ur 6 d5-d10 and IS NOT closing. The worst is the distance less then d5 and he IS closing.

Lets start with the worst case. First u r to do is to evade his first gun pass. Too many variants, too many manuvers - i will not try to describe all of em. Second what u should to do - is to utilize ur top speed advantage. So, u r to accelerate as fast as possible. I am using the following technique. Centering the control surfaces, and touching "X" key twice, just to autotrim level and turn autopilot off. Then, I am pushing stick forward, permanently controlling acceleration meter, and keeping the "g" as close to zero as possible. This is calling "unloading", and provides the best acceleration available. (Didnt i mentioned WEP? Yes, its on too of cause). The unloading could last for several seconds, until u got at least 400 km/h. After u gained speed, the immidiate danger form this Spit is gone. Now you should gently pull out of the dive (look at g-meter, dont let acceleration over 1.5g!) into level flight.
    So, we got the Spit our 6, at the d8-d10, and its not closing now. Time to turn tables. Dont make the common mistake of many pilots - dont go vertical agressively. If you will start zoom-climbing now, the spit will got you. He zoom-climbs better, and your task is to lure him into sustained climb, where 109F shines. So, _extremely_ gently start to pull the stick. Look at ur VSI, the orginal vertical speed should be 1 m/sec or so. Increase vertical speed slowly, be patient. It could take 30 seconds or so until u'll got full vertical speed. Only after you got vertical speed, you can start turning for spiral climb. Look at the Spit, keem him at the safe distance. Depending on the situation, you can turn off WEP - you are out of danger now.
    Go on climbing, get half-cicle over the spit and watch as he starty lower the nose, as he stalls. Dont miss this moment - hard rudder, wingover to him and you will make nice canopy shot [​IMG]

3. -rust-

-rust- Well-Known Member

P.S. And dont even try all this crap if you got P-39 at your "6".
    Because, "37mm shell can catch every plane"

4. -rust-

-rust- Well-Known Member

Crap... Forgot to say main. I am using VSI to find best climb. The speed can vary, but VSI always gives best info.

5. -lazy-

-lazy- Well-Known Member

VSI - what is it?

See you online!

6. -rust-

-rust- Well-Known Member

2 Lazy:
    VSI - Vertical Speed Indicator

7. -lazy-

-lazy- Well-Known Member

Roger that!
    Tnx.

8. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

thx rust...ive did it from the start very much as you described, unless i have much more E than spit. Yes ive become too impatient and pulled up to straight climb too often...hell some time ago i even killed whole squadron of spits using time consuming spiral climb...have to go back to that again after first 2 or 3 passes [​IMG]. Now it seems that ive died because those 2 or 3 passes were unsuccessful during last days(you know why [​IMG] Due to low effectiviness of current mg151/20(meant to break airframe or cause explosion) i have much just mixed up with spits low and slow to get looooooong burst at
    d0.3-d2 which is needed now. Not very historical tactic for 109, but passes dont work anymore(cant get positioned 3second burst in fast pass).
    sooo..but these will be corrected soon i think so i just have to get out of this quaking style...oh it isnt so easy..heh

btw. 109f vsi ends bit early to show any ascent rates. But in RL 109f didnt usually have vsi meter so that doesnt matter. Yup i know unloading [​IMG] it just seems that allied planes are such E wonders..heh

bb...ill try to get back in business [​IMG]

thx again