HUMAN ACK

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by Jeckil, Sep 8, 2002.

1. Jeckil

Jeckil Active Member

Hi friends !!!

One Question :

Anyone killed a plane with TANK-ACK ??? :confused:

I think ,that it were better to re-activate the good old 12mm Jeep-Ack ,or a little bigger caliber ,like 20mm !!! :turret:

Please talk about this thread ,i hope that many other Pilots think the same . :help:

2. HoHun

HoHun FH Beta Tester

Hi Jeckil,

>Anyone killed a plane with TANK-ACK ??? :confused:

Yes.

>I think ,that it were better to re-activate the good old 12mm Jeep-Ack ,or a little bigger caliber ,like 20mm !!! :turret:

The 12.7 mm jeep ack was much more destructive than the 12.7 mm ack guns already, and I think they were a bit exaggerated in their capabilities.

(In fact, the FH jeep ack was about as lethal as the quadruple-20 mm flak panzer in Air Warrior.)

However, I think the tanks currently add little to the game, while the jeep ack actually did. Maybe the jeep ack could be brought back with in a slightly different form?

Regards,

Henning (HoHun)

3. -stew-

-stew- Well-Known Member

I only hit planes when they are coming straight for me or passing very slowly at d2. Good to kill li's just when they try to drop paras.

My most common cause of death in hmack: killed by otto.

4. airfax

airfax Well-Known Member

How about bringing back the jeep-ack with less ammo and/or slower fire rate? Tank ack isn't worth anything since not all planes aren't coming straight at you. Acking isn't fun with these tanks and no way computer-acks will ever replaced by them. But that just my opinion.... :flyer: :turret:

airfax (IFoL)
    karma (FFC)

5. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

i scored tank kills from d15 :D
    ok, only once from that range ;)

im sad to say the 12mm jeep will be back :(
    AFAIK it will replace the tank :(

i agree with hohun.... those jeeps were pretty unfair for those who took the time to grab a plane :-/

6. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

Yes, the jeeps were much too effective. Everyone knows that no planes were ever lost to ground fire in WW2 :rolleyes:

7. -stew-

-stew- Well-Known Member

Just a thought: Better hmack could enhance gameplay (not realism)!

When direct Jabo attacks (I mean those with a constant stream of kamikazes) get heavy losses from hmack fire, people might just start thinking a little bit more strategically and fly better attacks (i.e. attacking in formation instead one at a time or flying bombers)

8. -ptah-

-ptah- Guest

Ok then why we do not have something like this.

.hmack [direction in degs] [tank or 12.7]
    eg:
    .hmack 90 12.7

so we will have choice to decide tank or jeep.

9. Zembla JG13

Zembla JG13 FH Beta Tester

Well, I thought there were 2 models in development per side in FH... one tank and one mobile air defense piece for the golds, and also 1 and 1 for the reds... that would mean that this is just an intermezzo, and even though they don't add much, I must say they don't need to be left out IMO, we just should be patient and wait for the additional models etc, and the rest of the modeling scripting to be done, and released... if they would be added...

oh well, I don't know, frankly I don't care

greetze, Zembla

10. achtun

achtun Well-Known Member

1 Stupid Commentary:

Yeah! I did it! I wanted to post it before but....

1 weeck ago defending a field... i shooted and i saw something strange... the ack's flak.. the smoke, like the big 80's or the ones u vis over enemy cv's

0'5 secs later the (il2?) exploded... the wings and crashed.. who was it?

2 SO, about the topic, yeah, no way to defend fields with tanks. But we want easy captures or easy defences? Is our spirit defensive or offensive?

3 Someone ever did a tank's raid? I remember reds attacking to convoys in that loved-hated New Guinea terrain

11. Lectek

Lectek Well-Known Member

I feel a compromise is the best solution here. I was a big user of the jeep ack and have to admit that for a jeep mounted 12mm MG fired and aimed manually it WAS too effective.

I have an idea that maybe the dev guys might like. A 12mm held by human hands will have far greater dispersion than one fixed to the frame of an aircraft. So solution one might be to (double or more?) the jeeps dispersion? Another that might suit everyone is that instead of a 12mm gun give it a 7mm one instead. This would drastically reduce its efectiveness though. Its also not necessary i feel to loose the tank, but i do think a tank killed by 1 bullet is ludicrous.

Personally i feel the jeep added to the game and that the solution to its over realistic performance was not to delete it but to just tone it down a tad. After all they are very easily killed if you use your head.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2002
  12. rafael

rafael Well-Known Member

Well... I want to share my thoughts on HMacks. :)

Yes, the old quad .50cal was(is?) too deadly on field defense, stimulating people to behave on a defensive way.
    Then the 75mm armed tank came. on a beta stage, since it was able to be killed with 1x7mm. But it is not a big thing to worry when you are over a field. The idea was to add tank battles to FH, that's why they were equipped with a 75mm low RoF gun. These tank battles were a nice idea, so we could have used Il-2 and Ju-87G at their maximum. :)
    But dunno how its development is going now.

Effective hmacks incentivate people to drive them, instead of a possible death (and ruin of scores), but still able to spoil enemy's attack, not a good thing IMO.
    I'd limit the number of hmacks per field. 2 or 3 at max... if others wanna join, they would have to spawn from another field and drive to the field they want to defend.

13. -fla--

-fla-- Well-Known Member

On allied ground attack (jabo) squadrons of 44-45 the averange was the loss of 3 pilots per month to ground fire.

14. Pingwyn

Pingwyn Well-Known Member

> Anyone killed a plane with TANK-ACK ???

never!

>I think ,that it were better to re-activate the good old 12mm Jeep-Ack ...

agree!

15. rattlesnake

rattlesnake Member

hmmm good question

have a slight varition on the question what about the m-16 half track that had 4 .50 cals and to the 20 mm panzer thing yes i agree use that too the tanks r cool when u r drunk and decide to goto another field or chase a cv { yes ive done it and i never caught up with it } but i remember the jeeps in ien they were fun later :turret: :dark: :mafia:

16. mekh--

mekh-- Well-Known Member

Yes, some squadrons lost half their roster within weeks. I was, of course, being sarcastic. With the jeeps added into the equation, ground fire in Warbirds was somewhat closer to the lethality it should be. Aside from the 40mm guns, the computer ack is generally worthless. The jeeps helped compensate for the Ack Weenies' incompetence, yet the jeeps are not all that dangerous either as long as you don't try to do something stupid like strafe them alone, or get in a slow turnfight right in front of them.