Icon System

Discussion in 'Warbirds International' started by fn_crow, Dec 23, 2000.

1. fn_crow

fn_crow Well-Known Member

ok this is taking from -nicae- in another thread about removing icons.

iEN recentaly set up a new "expert" arena were icons dont turn on till you are like at D4 or so. would this be possible in FH? they also have wind turned on and have night time (so ive heared). he also talked about how are gold to capture large fields with no heavys. well a new icon system could help. Me and some other friends/pilots have no problem taking over fields with 110, and Ju. the only time we do have a prob is when a con picks us up using icons at D32. so a smaller icon range would make it eaiser to sneak past airborne enamy and to get to base undetected

2. -nicae-

-nicae- Well-Known Member

well.. team work is fundamental in WB indeed, but we play with people from different countries, wich makes us depend on our squads to capture fields. but not always we have our squad around.
    and id like to see those p39s buff hunting! [​IMG]

3. fn_crow

i too have no squad and when i go field hunting i welcome any who wish to come, though i do limit the number to under 8 because to many and it gives us away.

still i wish icons for enemy were only like D6 or so, i would have twice the number of kills if it was, many of times i come up on six of con at like a D of 12 and they see me and thus starts a dogfight and lowering my chances of comeing home.

4. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

few months before on FreeHost
    Icons was visible at D5...
    long ago was at d99...
    both versions was disliked by many people
    so:
    now is compromise...

------------------
    Roman aka rgreat from =Flying Barans=

5. -nicae-

i see... i didnt know about that rgreat. hmmm..

6. fn_crow

hoe about no icons then? the purpose of the game was to offer a realistic experience of ww2 air combat, icons are nothing but crutches for those who have no awearnece(sp?) with no icons and or shorter range icons it would force pilots to be aware of their surrondings in order to survive and it would make for some good dogfights, you lose sight on the enemy then your as good as dead. no icons would also help people sneak in on people and also help people escape fights they can not win.

I still think its wroth a try and yes people will complain but dont give in keep it with no icons/short icons for like a month and im sure people will grow to live with it.

7. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

fn_crow>>awearnece(sp?)
    maybe awareness? [​IMG]
    fn_crow>>I still think its wroth a try...
    Again, some of us have weak eyes, and wearing strong glasses. I object against discrimination on eyes. Though, personally I want D6-D9 icons.

------------------
    Luck
    Yedyge aka exec[228] aka Killer Crayon
    mail2duc@stones.com

8. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

and not all of us have 21" monitors & play in 1024x768 [​IMG]

------------------
    Roman aka rgreat from =Flying Barans=

[This message has been edited by rgreat (edited 25 December 2000).]

9. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

fn_crow all your arguments and tons more were thrown in loooong and soaked in blood threads on forum`s russian section an year ago. You won`t come with anything new.

IEN are having many players so can separate them in several arenas - comfortable for everyone. Unfortunately we can`t do it.

If you are looking for a squad, check out AFVS [​IMG] - we are currently on III. place in bomber scores. [​IMG]

------------------
    Axis Foreign Volunteers Squadron
    "Nationalists of all countries - UNITE!" ;)
    http://grobar.search.bg/volunteers
    Leader

10. mcosta

mcosta Guest

I do have a 19" monitor and still play in 640x480...
    Besides that, the majority of times I identify a plane, it's still out of icon range...
    for example, the P51 and the spitfire/hurricane are very easy to spot at great distances... and If we don't use those planes... con? [​IMG]
    so... i'd like to see the icon ranges like this: < d10 - distance , < d03 - distance + plane id

mcosta
    sturmtruppen

11. -nicae-

i use a 17" and i can spot d99 dots. (after that the game doesnt show them)
    AND i use glasses..! [​IMG]

i think the current way is ok, but id like to try something similar to mcosta's way. i just never had the chance.

and yes, there are always people who want it to be the way it is now, but there are people who want short icons too.

12. fn_crow

here is my answers to all

My vision? 150/20 (is that right?) anyhow i have glasses contacts the whole works

My monitor? 15'' set at 800x600 though the game is played at 640x480

when i play the game my face is basicly right in the monitor. but i also find it eacy to detect movement. so if no icons in out how about at least making them only vis at D10? seeing thats the range your guns become affective anyways? you say this thread was posted a long time ago, well maybe players have gone and come sense then and those that did stay have matured and might have a different opinion were it tried again.

13. -exec-

-exec- FH Consultant

-nicae->and yes, there are always people who want it to be the way it is now,
    -nicae->but there are people who want short icons too.
    ...balanced with people who wants D999 icons.
    [​IMG]

14. grobar

grobar Well-Known Member

no - we are still here [​IMG]
    and I`m playing 640x480 3d with my head 1m from monitor (radiation is supposed to fall with distance) so I rarely spot low cons at all before icons pop up.

15. -nicae-

hehehe [​IMG]
    dammit! its so impossible to get on a common agreement in this subject! [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by -nicae- (edited 27 December 2000).]

16. illo

illo FH Beta Tester

some facts[​IMG]

640x480 vs 1024x768
    2d vs 3d

With 640x480 dots are much larger, thus it is easier to spot cons. With 1024x768 plane orientation is easier to see, so it eases SA.
    In 2d planes are easier to spot and plane orientation is little easier to see, than 3d where textures make spotting harder.
    I find dots very easy to see with 17 inch monitor and 640x480...even easier than in my own 19 ich 1024x768. All in 3d.

Im allways for d10->less icons [​IMG]

Not only because its more realistic, most important is its more exciting. I just have to be aware all the time.

When someone gets to shooting range i cant blame monitor, i blame my SA if i get suprised.

[This message has been edited by illo (edited 03 January 2001).]

17. --stec

--stec Well-Known Member

About realism: some WW2 pilots claimed that they could identify aircraft type from distance of 5km+. It's clearly impossible in WB even in hi-res and 19" screen (unless it's p51d or p38f [​IMG] ). So current icon system is closest to "realistic" I've seen while playing WB on different servers.
    BTW on Polish FH we have d10 icons. While it's more exciting (to the very last moment you don't know what you're attacking [​IMG] ), IMO it leaves less space for tactics and wonderfull "air chess" - 95% fights ends in DF low over deck.
    So - my voice is: "leave the icons as they are now" [​IMG]

stec