Internet access prices.

Discussion in 'Off Topic International' started by -frog-, Dec 8, 2023.

1. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Just had a conversation with a friend from Germany, and he boasted about this "great deal" on Internet he got.
    He got a 100/40Mbit DSL (cable) connection for 30 Euros a month, what a bargain!
    I pay PLN 70 (roughly 16 Euro) for 300/100 fibre. And it is far from a "good deal" here in Poland, since my brother in law pays only PLN 45 (so 10 Euro) a month for the same speed.
    The difference is the location - I live in the outskirts of the town, where the population density is much lower than in the city centre, where my BIL lives.

So, just out of simple curiosity - how much do you pay for your Internet connection where you live, and what speed is it?

2. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

1000 Mbit Optical cable / ~10 Euro
    upload_2023-12-8_20-59-53.png

Last edited: Dec 8, 2023
  3. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

Tomsk: 600 roubles (7 EUR) for fiber 200 Mbit/s (permanent 20 MB/sec download speed from EU/USA) and a bunch of TV-channels per month. Upload speed untested.

Kazakhstan, Ekibastuz: mainly no cable internet connections - only via mobile operators - pure in evenings, good in mornings. Affordable for browsing and youtubing.

4. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

6 евро. Курс 1 к 98.

5. Flk

Flk Well-Known Member

5€, GPON (according to contract 150 Mbit)

upload_2023-12-8_17-49-16.png

У нас вроде как самый (или один из) дешёвый интернет в мире.

6. pakman

pakman Well-Known Member

Во как врагу легко развести вас на сдачу стратегичной информацiи.

7. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

Тебя наебали! :D

8. Flk

Flk Well-Known Member

Ага, оказалось что не все соседи по улице активно качают торренты :) GPON. Вот аплод реально радует. Залить ролик на ютуб - хуяк и готово.
    Ранее на ADSL с его 4-6 Мбит вполне себе игралось в танчики, но было грустно закачивать гигабайтные обновления.

9. Flk

Flk Well-Known Member

Ой, да все партнёры шпиёны давно знают, где ТВЭЛы и Тополя делают :)

10. pakman

pakman Well-Known Member

Болтун находка точка. Хер ли с ним вообще общатся?

11. Flk

Flk Well-Known Member

А пускай срётся.

12. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Ain't you a bit paranoid?
    That's some information that everyone could google in matter of minutes, I just didn't care to do that for many countries the (once) users of WBFH come from.

If that calms you down - I pay another PLN 75 for two phone numbers (+20GB of data for each) + one mobile Internet SIM card (5G, but the limit is just 300GB, after that it drops to 1Mbps) - and that's an "old contract", I'd be forced to pay at least 25 more to get this "as a new customer".

If I were to ridicule Russia or Germany, I'd pick on the level of digitalization of your public services instead - that's where these two really lag behind, compared to Poland.

13. OldUncles

OldUncles Well-Known Member

And don't forget that it was the Soviets who really advanced the notion of cybernetics, and so much of early-days computer science. We in the West forget a lot of that history, especially because we have ideological and cultural blinders on. So often we're like horses who can't see to the figurative left or right.

Viktor Glushkov, for example, was really something. I tried to read some of his textbooks, but I am terrible at maths. But that guy was really something. Just imagine what cool university classes we could teach based on that guy's stuff!

14. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

BTW- the Polish authorities confirmed the prices for consumers (individual households) for electricity and natural gas today (it is always negotiated between the authorities and the major suppliers, to get the consumers a stable price for the year to come).
    Lecky - down 31%, when compared to 2023 (as if I cared - I do have 5 kilowatts of PV panels on my roof)
    Natural gas - down 34%.

So much for the "Russian blackmail".

15. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

stable price ???
    what about your wish to get stock-market prices in 2015-2020? you blamed Gazprom's stable price's calculation few years ago!
    when then were low (due to low oil prices), you were agree.
    when oil prices get high - then gaz prices SLOWLY (due to conservative formula) got high too - and you declined that formula! you broke all lawful principles! you've broke agreements! you said - we need free market prices!
    well, you got them... free...
    and now what do we see??? STABLE prices ???? by what means? you ORDER providers to stabilize prices ???
    what a gay behaviour! :bue:
    вы европидары и есть. да подавитесь нахуй американским газом, блеать! мы найдём куда сбывать свой.

P.S.
    6.1 roubles per 1 m3 natural gaz in the kitchen here in Tomsk
    6100 RR/1000m3
    70 USD/1000m3 approx

16. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Fortunately we no longer trade with Gazprom, and their "Nord Stream" pipeline to supply western Europe had an "unfortunate accident".
    So I guess there's nothing your Gazprom can do anymore.

One thing is certain - the decision (of our previous government made of dumbasses) to go to SPOT prices from fixed prices was one of the least beneficial ones in the long term.
    But let the bygones be bygones.
    There's no Gazprom here anymore, and still the prices are falling.

17. mcgru-

mcgru- Well-Known Member

so you are glad/justify that some terrorists blowed gazprom's (and german also!) tube?
    old love between germans and polaks, hehehe...

well, then be ready that somebody else will blow polish tubes/cargoships/cargoplanes.... ah, not polish ones... the EU or US.... (all evil is from USA)

18. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

Why should anyone seek to target Polish transports?
    There's no proof anyone from Poland was involved in that "accident".
    Still, that pipe was an eyesore for the entire Poland, from the very beginning, so "who knows"?

This was most likely the well known poor Russian manufacturing if you ask me ;)
    As for the "old love between Germans and Poles" - well, we've grown up (as nations). Not a sane soul in Poland wants Lviv back, not a sane soul in Germany wants Wrocław or Gdańsk back. The mutual relations of Poland and Germany are still at its best in history.
    And the fact Germany learned that it can manage without Russian gas in the process is another great feat of that lil "accident"... otherwise it would continue to sponsor your terrorist activities.

19. rgreat

rgreat FH Developer

Достаточно тебя почитать что бы захотеть вломить по Польше.

Last edited: Dec 26, 2023
  20. -frog-

-frog- Well-Known Member

I guess there are more than a dozen nationalities pissed off by Russian imperialism today, so let's say Poland is of the "least concern" side in terms of international terrorism.
    As long, as these attacks are not to be sponsored by your government of course.
    You're long since a terrorist state, and supporters of terrorist regimes.
    We are aware of these risks, and the countermeasures are long since in place.
    But I do believe you should fear the nations you've pissed of recently far more than we should fear Russian-sponsored terrorism. You've got a really long list going, starting with Chechnya...

Sea likes this.